Cutting and Re-crowning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fltrainer

Bearcat
Larry it's amazing what info you can pick up from the guys. But this is what it's all about helping each other and solving problems that maybe we couldn't do on our own.

When I first posted the thread it all started on Rugerforum.net, and then HandgunHunt.com, and Singleaction.proboards.com then I found this site. I was looking for help where ever I could get…. And the guys responded I learned a lot.

If you check them out you will see all the help I received. Without their ideas and personal experiences it would have taken me much longer and for that I'm grateful to them also.

As long as you have a plan and think every aspect of the job out; and most importantly picking the brains of the guys posting you'll be fine… take my word for it.

And take your time if you run into a problem you know where to find us….

Larry, thank you for the kind words....Carl

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Awesome job. You got me thinking about having mine cut to 5.5" or 6", since I don't have the drill press.

Congratulations on having done it!

ETA, I forgot to ask. What did you do to loosen the front sight base? Is it silver-soldered and you applied heat? If so, with what type torch?

fltrainer

Bearcat
MG-70, thank you for the kind words.

It took me many years to grow a new set to attempt it….. believe me, and not to mention the anxiety attacks along the way while doing the job!

At first I tried propane, that wasn't cutting it. Then I broke out the Mapp gas bottle; it took less than a few minutes and it popped. … great stuff.

MG what handgun are you thinking about cutting, and the bbl length?

The reason I ask is Ruger uses a bbl pin that aligns the FS. Now, this is where the drill press comes in…. (better yet a mill-drill will make round holes). Unless you have a very steady hand and a good eye to keep the hand drill in-line be very careful… even still drill bits don't make perfectly round holes until the bit gets deep enough into the bbl, so the pin will have a very slight wobble to it. I used JB Weld on the pin and the FS….so-far-so-good, I've banged the FS around and it hasn't come off. The real test will be firing it, if can just get too the range. :(

If you decide to use the pin if in-fact you have one…. be careful and don't drill through the bbl into the bore. :oops:

MG I'm sure I don't have to tell you these things; it's just that big brother want-to-help nature of mine gets carried away sometimes, don't be offended.

Oh, depending on the bbl length and how much you cut off, the FS post might be too low and may need building up… JB works well here also.

Reach out if you need more…. Carl 8)

tek4260

Buckeye
Since you will be going through all the work of cutting it, why not spring for a .595" Blackhawk sight from Brownells? That way you know it is tall enough. If you are like me and cut several, use the take off sight to mark the alignment pin hole. Cut the blade off the sight and drill through the alignment hole. Then you can use this to mark the hole on the barrel. Plus, you can use it as a drill guide to keep the bit from walking when you drill.

fltrainer

Bearcat
Tek thanks for that info, but, that's exactly what I did. If you go to photo 30 (I think) you'll see my transfer punch sticking out of the drilled alignment hole; in pix 31 you'll see the dimple…. It worked great.

As far as the sight goes initially I was going to buy the Stroh sight kit. I e-mailed Stroh about the FS height because I was going to cast 300 gr's up from the 255 gr I was casting. He explained that his 0.250" ramp and 0.0250" post hgt. will work with the 5.5" bbl. for both heads. When I measured my sight it was 0.500" so I used it and saved the $$$$.

The sight kit could be bought with a .250, .300 and .350 post heights.

Now all I have to do is get to the range and shoot it…. Then I'll know if it's the correct height.

Tek, I enjoyed doing the job, it was a learning experience to say the least, but I don't have any other long bbl guns that need to be snipped.

Several weeks ago I bought a new toy, it's a Ruger BH in 45LC w/a 4 5/8" bbl., and I don't think I'll be cutting that.

Later…… Carl

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the added info. Carl!

The revolver in question is a 7.5" Super Blackhawk stainless .44Mag. For a while now, I've been thinking about sending it out for someone to chop the barrel, and possibly convert it to Bisley gripframe. If I ever locate a Bisley conversion for a decent price, I'll end up having both mods done, but for now, I may just send it out for the barrel shortening. I think I can do it, however, don't have the proper tools.

Thanks again!

fltrainer

Bearcat
MG, do you have a good flat file, Emory clothe in different paper grades, those little levels I used, a hacksaw and hacksaw blades, a piece of cord, a marker pen, a mapp gas torch, a flat piece of steel to wrap the Emory around to dress down the muzzle after you file it smooth, a carriage bolt, a hand drill to crown the bore, a vise to hold the bbl. as you cut it, valve grinding compound (Tube) JB Weld tubes, or a soldering gun and silver solder, electrical tape, a ¾" socket like I used to radius the muzzle. Oh, Oxpho Crème blue from Brownells to finish it off.

I don't think I missed anything (I might be having a senior moment also) I don't think there is anything special here.

MG you can do it, and you don't have to use the pin. What's the worst that can happen the sight goes into orbit, I don't think so, guys on other sites used JB as an experiment on their guns…. That was 10 and 15 yrs ago and no problems.

Damn, I sound like I'm selling something….. YOU CAN DO IT! 8)

Later…..Carl :wink:

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Unfortunately, I no longer have the vise, or workbench, but will ask around to see if there's someone nearby who can let me use theirs.

Thanks for the encouragement though!

opos

Buckeye
Nice job and nice seeing someone not afraid to attempt a job...I have one question...using the carriage bolt as the crowning "tool" did you use valve grinding compound? If so I'm surprised it didn't just wallow out the carriage bolt and not really touch the barrel as the barrel is sure to be harder than the bolt head...maybe I'm missing something (probably am...usually do miss the obvious)...Thanks...I have an old Mosin that's going to get about 6" of the bbl cut off and since it's a $100 gun I am going on the cheap when I do it...the bolt idea is great but again, a bit confused on just what you did...thanks
opos

fltrainer

Bearcat
opos thanks for the ata boy.

Yeah, valve grinding compound, didn't I state that in the pics? :roll: (Maybe another senior moment).

You didn't miss a thing opos...I did :oops:

Buy a galvanized carriage bolt larger than the diameter of the bbl. put a little dab of compound where the bolt head meets the bore and use slow speed, the bolt head will self-center and cut fast. It won't take long for the compound to work. As long as the muzzle is square you should have a good crown and a nice shooting rifle.

opos, if I can be of further assistance just reach out; it'll be my pleasure to help.... Carl

fltrainer

Bearcat
CA, I can't tell you, and the others, how much I appreciate the atta boys. I never thought I would get the responses (all positive) from here and the other sites I posted this thread on; and the help was overwhelming. It wouldn't have been as easy as I make it sound without your help.... :D 8)

Guys, I wish you and your families a Happy and Healthy New Year....Carl

tek4260

Buckeye
Another 30 Carbine chop :)

DSCN1414.jpg