I know i will get punched and kicked

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Although don't you think back in the day a few if not many good ole boys modified the 1873 rifle.Ok my question could the 73 be modified so the dust cover closed when the bolt closed.Ok kick me now.LOL

Last edited:

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I would imagine you could drill and tap a 6-40 or 6-48 allen head screw thru the cover and into the bolt. If it doesnt work as you.want, just shorten the screw to cover the hole in the dust cover

NikA

Buckeye
Looking at pictures, the piece that opens the dust cover on the 1873 is a notch on the extractor. Don't see a way to attach the dust cover directly to the bolt. Not sure if there would be any other interfering parts, but it would be pretty easy to dummy up an extractor with a notch that manipulates the dust cover in both directions; however, as a permanent item you'd want to heat treat this replacement similar to the original extractor, which is going to be a much more difficult task.

I'd dummy up an extractor that does this first to make sure it actually works.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Older Mossberg Bolt action 22 rifles had a dustcover mounted to the bolt.
Everyone took them off as it made it stiffer to cycle.
Eventually Mossberg quit putting them on.

...hell even the Japanese took off the 'dust covers', could hear them running through the jungle.......wasted thought and project, much like Ruger putting a chamber indicator on the Mark III, on a "rim fire"....... :unsure: :rolleyes:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Ok guys I've definitely decided to not do anything eith the dust cover except clise it if feel like it.probably wind up taking it off.