Convert a MkII from 30-06 to 257 Wby?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
cheapest way would be to rechamber a 2506. the barrel is the biggest cost in a rifle. Only problem with that is ruger barrels can be hit or miss.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
After doing my research on a 257 rebarrel I forgot all about the weatherby. A 25-06 or 25-06 ackley improved would be the one for an '06 action. Im using a 7mag as a donor and am going with a 25/264. A 264 win mag necked down. Weatherby uses excessive freebore to get the high velocities which will affect accuracy. The 25/264 will not have that. Im sure there are weatherby's out there that shoot but I'd bet a fewer percentage do compared to the rest. The 25/264 is close enough to the weatherby in velocity that it isn't an issue and you don't have the double radius brass to deal with when reloading.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
Ive been loading 257s for over 30 years and load about every other mag rifle round or at least have and never saw where the shoulder on a wby was anything difficult to work with. Loads just like any other mag round. As to accuracy ive had 4 over the years and 3 shot great and one didnt. About the same average ive had with any other caliber. I have a cdl right now that is well under a moa rifle. Id bet if i bought 5 257s from rem and wby theyd average better groups size then if i bought 5 ruger 77s in any caliber. Want my real suggestion. If you want a 257 about the cheapest thing you could do would be to watch the auction sights and pick up a wby vangurard. They can be found for 400 bucks or a little more all the time. SUre there not pretty but they get the job done. Or if you have the money go buy a cdl. They have the advantage of a 26 inch barrel and are prettier then any ruger, at least in this guys opinion. Im sure ill get the ruger fanatics stirred up with this post but keep in mind that theres 6 ruger 77s in my safe and ive owned at least 20 over the years.

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Appreciate all the insight. I am a lefty, so the Vanguard ain't an option. Currently looking at a 300 win mag Hawkeye for a rebarrel if the guy will come off his price some. Just barely missed a lefty Mark V Accumark for a stupid cheap price, but it looks like rebarrel or rebore is most likely going to be how I get this done.

Major T

Blackhawk
txpitdog, the 300 Win. conversion may work just fine, but the .264 and 7 mag cases are identical in size and offer (me) more peace of mind on the feed rail issue. For certain, if you find a .264 that shoots, and the barrel is still good, the conversion is just to scratch an itch.

I guess that I was unlucky with my .257 Mk V back in the eighties as it did not shoot good groups with factory or hand loads - at least the ones I tried. I did have good results with a 7 and .300 Wbys., and both had a lot of freebore. jack

Latest posts