Compressed air for cleaning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
I've read several comments about using compressed air to blow out parts of the pistol, etc. I've never done that, and I don't have an air compressor anyway. I was wondering if the cans of compressed air that they sell for cleaning PC keyboards, etc would work as well...I would assume they don't have a high moisture content.

Your thoughts?

Flash

Buckeye
I often use comprressed air and drain my compressor often. I use a kerosene dip or soak, depending on the crud and never have a moisture issue. I keep the nozzle about 3 to 4" away for fear of dislodging any springs or pins.

Yeah, the canned air is another substance but not as good as a compressor. Even a small portable compressor made for pnumatic nailers will work, with the addition of a nozzle.

Verndog

Blackhawk
No need for a compressor, or weak canned air at those prices. Buy one of these handheld air dusters. Tons of uses around the house, clean computers, electronics, air cleaners, auto parts, guns, everything. Very powerful with several attachments and works awesome. No moister to worry about either.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...ZOAW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317913653&sr=8-5

21y6CfbhROL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

GKC

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
No need for a compressor, or weak canned air at those prices. Buy one of these handheld air dusters. Tons of uses around the house, clean computers, electronics, air cleaners, auto parts, guns, everything. Very powerful with several attachments and works awesome. No moister to worry about either.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...ZOAW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317913653&sr=8-5

Interesting product. One of the things I liked about the canned air is that you could use the nozzle (that looks like a straw) to blow out the striker channel by inserting it in the hole where the striker comes out. Does this electric duster have an attachment that small? I guess you could use both, and save the canned air just for that one part of the cleaning process.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Ken, the tip you see is about the size of a pencil and yes there is a smaller one. You wont need it though IMO. This is prob. a good 2x plus more powerful then the canned air. I have both and the canned air will work but is expensive over the long run especially if you want to clean a computer or 2. Read the reviews on this product, most people are amazed how well it works, I'm a beleiver after buying one. I race RC cars and these work great to clean them after a race also.

GKC

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
Ken, the tip you see is about the size of a pencil and yes there is a smaller one. You wont need it though IMO. This is prob. a good 2x plus more powerful then the canned air. I have both and the canned air will work but is expensive over the long run especially if you want to clean a computer or 2. Read the reviews on this product, most people are amazed how well it works, I'm a beleiver after buying one. I race RC cars and these work great to clean them after a race also.

Thanks!

I am going to get one of these...I can certainly stand to blow out our computers, and all sorts of other stuff.

Verndog

Blackhawk
GKC said:
Verndog said:

Thanks!

I am going to get one of these...I can certainly stand to blow out our computers, and all sorts of other stuff.

Cool - let us know how it works for you, I love mine. Be careful with that small tip if you use it, could blow a hole through your finger. :shock: :D
I use the one shown for pretty much everything, and just alter the distance away from part to clean depending on intensity needed.

GKC

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
Cool - let us know how it works for you, I love mine. Be careful with that small tip if you use it, could blow a hole through your finger. :shock: :D
I use the one shown for pretty much everything, and just alter the distance away from part to clean depending on intensity needed.

I guess it wouldn't do too well, cleaning out my dog's ears? :lol: :lol:

I just bought a SR9c, and I have never seen a gun so full of goop! Looks like a Vaseline bomb went off inside the slide. I was thinking I'll need to spray it down with Gunscrubber and then blow it all out with compressed air. Then I'll give it a regular cleaning with Ballistol. I'll probably go ahead and use a can of air for this cleaning, since I'll have to order the air duster.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I use compressed air at the house all the time, for many uses including firearms. The compressor is hooked up and ready to go at all times. Also, I have a small portable compressor in the living area with about 20 lbs in it for those "air can" tasks.

Verndog

Blackhawk
GKC said:
Verndog said:

I guess it wouldn't do too well, cleaning out my dog's ears? :lol: :lol:

I just bought a SR9c, and I have never seen a gun so full of goop! Looks like a Vaseline bomb went off inside the slide. I was thinking I'll need to spray it down with Gunscrubber and then blow it all out with compressed air. Then I'll give it a regular cleaning with Ballistol. I'll probably go ahead and use a can of air for this cleaning, since I'll have to order the air duster.

Ya, I think Ruger built them to withstand a hurricane and sit underwater in a warehouse for a few months. :) Gunscrubber with air works great, follow with some light oil of your choice wiped on with cleaning swab...thin layer, it's working great for mine.

As far as dogs ears go, make sure he keeps his mouth open so too much pressure doesn't build. :D

GKC

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
As far as dogs ears go, make sure he keeps his mouth open so too much pressure doesn't build. :D

I'll probably just keep running a bottle brush through there, from one side to the other...there isn't any resistance. :lol:

(Before any PETA or ASPCA types have a hemorrhage, I am only kidding! I love my pooch, and would never mistreat him in any way.)

explorecaves

Bearcat
GKC said:
Verndog said:

I'll probably just keep running a bottle brush through there, from one side to the other...there isn't any resistance. :lol:

(Before any PETA or ASPCA types have a hemorrhage, I am only kidding! I love my pooch, and would never mistreat him in any way.)

I'm guessing either a Lab, Golden, or a spaniel? :D

GKC

Blackhawk
Actually, he is a Chiweenie...which is a chihuahua/dachshund mix. He was my mother's dog, and when she passed away, he came home with me. He follows every step I take, and doesn't want me to be out of his sight. When I have to go somewhere that I can't take him (like this summer, when it was so hot) my wife says he paces the floor and whines until I get back home. He is about 11 now, and I've had him for two years.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Verndog said:

I gotta get me some of that!!! I do have a compressor that I picked up at Harbor Freight for $49 (on sale of course). I mainly use it to blow out the striker/firing pin channels after a good soak with CLP or RemOil.

A

Anonymous

Just a quick warning in case someone misses it. I searched 3 stores before I found a CAN of comp'd air that had -0- moisture content. WalMart has a big can on sale, but if you look at the back it has a waring not to shake it up-- or moisture may get into your 'machinery'. I finally had to buy a 9 dollar can from Office Depot...probably cheaper elsewhere but not worth the time to look more.

GKC

Blackhawk
jeffadaklin said:
Just a quick warning in case someone misses it. I searched 3 stores before I found a CAN of comp'd air that had -0- moisture content. WalMart has a big can on sale, but if you look at the back it has a waring not to shake it up-- or moisture may get into your 'machinery'. I finally had to buy a 9 dollar can from Office Depot...probably cheaper elsewhere but not worth the time to look more.

The can I bought is "CleanSafe Dust Remover" and is labeled as moisture free. It is designed for cleaning PCs, electronics, and among other things listed, firearms.

I looked all over the can and I can't see any list of what is actually in the can. It did not have the "no shake" warning that you mentioned, just an instruction to keep it upright while using. Oh, and it said it was designed to prevent inhaling abuse.

Edited to add: I looked it up on the internet, and it says the ingredient is
1,1-DIFLUOROETHANE (HFC-152a).

steelhawk

Bearcat
GKC said:
Verndog said:

What are you doing with my dog and could you please send him back.

LCP380

Bearcat
I keep a product call canless air in my truck since a compressor is too large and I just don't trust leaving compressed air in there since it could explode. I live in the desert so there is a lot of dust and the canless air is perfect for my LCP380, I can field strip it and clean it in less than 2 minutes. I also use it to get rid of the powder residue in the gas block assembly and the bore on my mini-14. With the mini-14 I still have to run an oiled cloth thru the bore but using the canless air first helps quite a bit. Its a pretty neat little device.

https://www.canlessair.com

A0Y7_129778605615166320A9NvecdobJ.jpg

jmrehn

Bearcat
When using compressed air to blow the gun clean there is a concern of fine lead particals being sent up into the air you are breathing.

just saying

jmrehn

Latest posts