Cleaning Frequency

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fredo

Bearcat
I'm new to Firearms. I have two Ruger revolvers, a lcr 357 and a Wrangler. I clean them after every trip to the range
I'm thinking of purchasing a Security 9. Does a pistol need to be cleaned after every use too?

bear007

Bearcat
I don't have a Security 9 but I have a few other Ruger semi-auto handguns, they are all pretty durable guns. You will get answers across the board here but NO, it does not NEED to be cleaned after every use, though I do. It's relaxing time for me cleaning any of my firearms.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Only a black powder gun "needs" to be cleaned after every use -- and by that I mean, if you don't clean it NOW it will be a hunk of rust tomorrow. Cleaning a gun every time you use it is a good habit, but frankly most guns can do with nothing more than a wipe-down between shooting sessions for dozens or even hundreds of rounds.

I wipe my guns down after every use, even after fond handling or daily carry with no shooting, to prevent surface rust. But a thorough cleaning may not be done for weeks or months. I defy anyone to examine any of the many guns I have owned for 50 years and tell me they see one sign of neglect or abuse in any of them. You won't find any...

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Depends

If it's a carry gun, clean it after each use.

I shoot about once per week. I do not clean range guns each time. That is simply far too much cleaning to do every week. Say for my 10/22 I clean once every 500-600 rounds so once every month and a half because I shoot 100 rounds through it each trip.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
While I'm typically not a particularly lazy person, I am where cleaning firearms (except when black powder is involved) is concerned...And don't do it anymore often than necessary to keep them functioning as they should.

bear007

Bearcat
... My EDC Max9 gets a weekly check to blow out any lint and lube as needed.
Same here. I carry IWB and it seems to collect more lint in a few days than I care for. I blow it out regularly and give it a quick wipe down then back in the holster it goes.

Dang, you just made me look at my carry ... and it's got a light layer of lint now.
1000007352.jpg

Last edited:

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
Only a black powder gun "needs" to be cleaned after every use -- and by that I mean, if you don't clean it NOW it will be a hunk of rust tomorrow. Cleaning a gun every time you use it is a good habit, but frankly most guns can do with nothing more than a wipe-down between shooting sessions for dozens or even hundreds of rounds.

I wipe my guns down after every use, even after fond handling or daily carry with no shooting, to prevent surface rust. But a thorough cleaning may not be done for weeks or months. I defy anyone to examine any of the many guns I have owned for 50 years and tell me they see one sign of neglect or abuse in any of them. You won't find any...
I hear you. MY range, is 15 paces outside my back door. I may put a magazine or three, or a few cylinders full, whichever the case may be, though as many as 10-12 different guns per week...They get bore snaked, wiped down & put away. Stripping and thorough cleanings perhaps twice or thrice per year. And frankly, there's aways a whole list of things I'd rather be doing than cleaning firearms.

I hear you. MY range, is 15 paces outside my back door. I may put a magazine or three, or a few cylinders full, whichever the case may be, though as many as 10-12 different guns per week...They get bore snaked, wiped down & put away. Stripping and thorough cleanings perhaps twice or thrice per year. And frankly, there's aways a whole list of things I'd rather be doing than cleaning firearms.
15 paces!!! What a Hike!!! Mines about 10'

bear007

Bearcat
You'll get less lint if you carry the gun with the slide on.
Now that's funny lol!

Though the slide was on, when I'm around the house I rarely have 1 in the tube because I have a very fast grabbing 5 y.o. grandson, though lately he has been pretty good about not grabbing or touching any of the guns. With the side on I am really curious how that much lint gets inside, but it does! 🤔

Latest posts