Cleaning Frequency

Help Support Ruger Forum:

*chillin*

Bearcat
I'm new to Firearms. I have two Ruger revolvers, a lcr 357 and a Wrangler. I clean them after every trip to the range
I'm thinking of purchasing a Security 9. Does a pistol need to be cleaned after every use too?
Top priority is to make sure you are cleaning it correctly!
Lot's of damage can occur if not done so.

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
I'm new to Firearms. I have two Ruger revolvers, a lcr 357 and a Wrangler. I clean them after every trip to the range
I'm thinking of purchasing a Security 9. Does a pistol need to be cleaned after every use too?
i care less what others do with thier guns.

i clean & lube my guns after every range trip.

it does not harm the guns.

Hoppes #9, or Kroil, are what i use most times, and i use a spray cleaner (not a CLP) to get into areas a brush or q-tip cannot get into.

and i use a "pancake style" air compressor, bought at Harbor Freight to blow out the gun in areas i cannot get a patch into...(it has an adjustable blow gun to reduce air pressure)

i use either Lucas Extreme duty gun oil, or EWG (extreme weapons grease from Slip 2000) or FP 10, or Mobil 1.. ... for lube points.

sometimes i use Rem oil to lightly rub on the entire gun when it gets put away.

this is what i do, and have been doing, and will continue to do.,

1708523396237.png

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
After every trip to the range, I clean my guns or at least put a boresnake through them and wipe them down if I'm going to shoot them again within the week. Otherwise, I'll do a full cleaning later that day or the next day. Sometimes I will take the boresnake, CLP, and cloth to the range and do a quick-clean of the guns while there.

I've let guns sit in the safe for years without re-cleaning them; I see no damage.

Where cleaning becomes harmful is when metal rods are used aggressively and carelessly from the muzzle end.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Black powder most cleaned.....
Semi Auto handguns next....
Revolvers...
Semi Auto Rifles....
Bolt and Lever action rifles....
Scatter guns least....

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
This is strange but true. I like cleaning my guns a lot more when I'm smelling Hoppe's No. 9. Maybe it's not THE best, but it sure makes the job pleasant.

Fredo

Bearcat
At 72 ….I just started using it but when I did the scent brought back memories of my dad cleaning his rifles in the basement

My GUNS all get cleaned after each range trip. But that's not the whole story. Cleaning is maybe just a wipe down or complete disassemble. Depends on the firearm and how much I used it and when it's going to be used again. Cleaning them also gives you another chance to look at the firearm closely for things that might be wearing, loose or broken.

Latest posts