Cleaning pistol help please.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

warfish340

Bearcat
I have a new P345 and LCP. I took them out of the box to clean them and when I took them apart noticed the were not greased from Ruger. My P89 from Ruger had grease on the slide. Has something changed? What are you guys doing and using to lubricate the slide/parts of semi-auto pistols. If you use grease or oil please list what you like and works. Thanks.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
warfish340":9ezu2u39 said:
I have a new P345 and LCP. I took them out of the box to clean them and when I took them apart noticed the were not greased from Ruger. My P89 from Ruger had grease on the slide. Has something changed? What are you guys doing and using to lubricate the slide/parts of semi-auto pistols. If you use grease or oil please list what you like and works. Thanks.

Hey warfish, welcome to the forum!

There is a lot of good information already posted on these boards, including this recent one about lubes and preferences:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=89962

BTW, I have been using Breakfree CLP with good results. Enjoy your new Rugers!

Cheers,
boomer
:)

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Pistols I am seeing new are still packed in a little grease.

Was there any grease anywhere on either of these pistols?

It would cause me to question why a new gun had been cleaned of grease. It could be a model that was on display, but I would look for an explanation anyway.

warfish340

Bearcat
Both were on display at a gunshop. I took them both apart new. They both had oil everywhere but NO grease at all. Have they gone away from using grease?

I have not bought that many new guns.... in fact the three I have bought were all Rugers... PC9, Mark III pistol and a Charger.... I don't recall seeing any grease on the three.....

Grease is subjective... some folks love it... I never used it... I have as of late been tying some marine lub on the sliding parts on some of my guns just to see...

basically most folks will say leave the grease alone and use any oil sparingly.... because either collects dirt that can not only cause operational problems but friction that will wear down parts.... this all depends on how much you shoot vs store the gun and where.... along with routine maintenance.

your call... I think the lack of grease on a new gun is a good thing.... I've never cleaned the three new ones I bought before shooting them... if anything spray some lubricating fluid/oil on them a go to it.

Scottch1438

Bearcat
my new Ruger rifles came coated as if ready to store underground (both mini 14's 10 years apart) my Sr9 was not greased, but I too bought the display at the local shop. keep your gun (s) clean and a light oil on moving parts. this has worked for me for the last 35 years.

thats one of those things where you cannot make "everyone happy" when we had the shops ,any and ALL guns that came in got inspected, cleaned and degreased,,,,,cause over the years folks "bitched" why is the gun all gunked/greased up............besides we singled out most all of the defects and would return it if needed,but for the most part we were able to "make adjustments".... worked for us,and seldom ever had to return ANY.........

as for just what grease/lube to use? use what you have handy, just don't overdo it....hate see guys have oil running down their pant legs from their 'CC' guns........ :roll: