Cleaning Magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
I wipe down the outside every time I clean the gun. Every 1000 rounds or so I like to disassemble, clean and lightly oil the mag body inside and out and all parts involved. Same routine for rifles except for 500ish rounds for disassembly interval.

KIR

Sparks, NV
My Remington 597m was/is notorious for FTF/FTE until I got a new Volquartsen extractor, cleaned the rifle, magazines and found a couple extra magazines getting all four versions of them. The rifle works great now. I don't really know if cleaning the magazines had anything to making it run better, but it never hurts to clean them now and then! Good shootin' to y'all and stay safe!

Paladin

Bearcat
I frequently clean and lube my pistol magazines. This is because I compete in IDPA style matches held at my gun club where the magazines are constantly being dropped onto dusty gravel. This keeps the magazines running free and prevents grit from working its way into the pistol's action.

Do you clean or lube magazines?

A lot depends on the material the mags are made of…

When armoring Glocks, I pop the magazine base plates off, and disassemble the mags. I wipe everything down to get it dust-free, paying particular attention to the magazine follower. Then they're assembled dry, and they're ready to go.

My Ruger MKII mags don't normally get disassembled, as they're target guns and the mags virtually never end up on the ground. I wipe the feed lip area down with a powder solvent, if necessary. The blued mag bodies are wiped with a some sort of light rust preventative- I've used oil, Hoppe's No. 9, RustePrufe, etc. successfully. I keep any dust-attracting oil or "wetness" to a minimum, to avoid picking up dust/grit.

Fredo

Bearcat
A lot depends on the material the mags are made of…

When armoring Glocks, I pop the magazine base plates off, and disassemble the mags. I wipe everything down to get it dust-free, paying particular attention to the magazine follower. Then they're assembled dry, and they're ready to go.

My Ruger MKII mags don't normally get disassembled, as they're target guns and the mags virtually never end up on the ground. I wipe the feed lip area down with a powder solvent, if necessary. The blued mag bodies are wiped with a some sort of light rust preventative- I've used oil, Hoppe's No. 9, RustePrufe, etc. successfully. I keep any dust-attracting oil or "wetness" to a minimum, to avoid picking up dust/grit.
Thanks

Latest posts