Chose and paid for my very first Ruger Bearcat today!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Howdy, Tommy,

Many thanks for the kind comments, Sir! In truth, I already have a wonderful Single Six Convertible, several Blackhawks, in .41 Maggie, and .45 colt, and two Redhawks, in .41 Maggie, as well as two 10/22's, and a fine Mini-14 Ranch Rifle! Add to that my Freedom Arms .454 Casull, and I've shot some fairly big boomers. Even got to shoot a .475 and .500 Linebaugh at our range, one day, and liked them both!

But, this little Bearcat is for a special function, as a very lightweight, small, easy shootable kit gun for the woods and backpacking, to be used in conjunction with either a .45 ACP, a Glock M27 .40 S&W, a .41 Maggie, or a .45 Colt. Any other .22 would be too large and heavy for what I have in mind. So, the little Bearcat got the nod, and I'm really excited about having chosen it, and look forward to picking it up and shooting it!! Thanks, again, for your comments, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Evening, Friends,

Well, day after tomorrow, I can finally get down the mountain to pick up my new ss Bearcat!! I'm really excited, and can hardly wait to be able to shoot it!! Heck, I'm excited about just getting it home, and introducing myself to it!! :wink: 8) :D :D I'll post a report on how things go on the shooting, and also in just getting it home, finally, after my ten day mandatory wait to pick it up. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. I've already contacted Eric about getting a ss ejector shroud, when he makes another batch of those great ones he offered here!! :wink: :D

bulletnose

Bearcat
Congrats on your new Bearcat Doc. I just got me a new Bearcat also and I am quite impressed with the little gem. I too am waiting for the new batch of S.S. ERH from Eric. I'm also waiting for my new Belt Mountain Base Pin. I haven't had a chance to do any real shooting yet, but one thing I have noticed about my Bearcat is that the more I have worked the action the tighter the cylinder lockup has become. This impresses me and makes me assured of the accuracy it will be capable of. Wish I would have gotten one before now, but at least I got one. Sorry You had to go thru all that political red tape. One reason I live in Texas. Enjoy and safe shooting, God Bless!

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Hey, Bulletnose, and All,

Well, today's the say, Friends, and in just a little while I will head down the mountain to pick up my very first Ruger Bearcat!! YAHOO!! 8) :D :D This being CA, and all, I can't pick it up any earlier than EXACTLY eight minutes after four PM!! :roll: :roll: :x But, in the interim, I'll just head to some local ammo places, like Wally World, Bass Pro, and a few others, and stock up on various brands and types of ammunition for my new little 'Cat!! So, all is not lost, and I'll soon be as happy as a pig in poo!! Thanks to one and all for all the suggestions, comments, and information, Friends! Much appreciated! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who can hardly wait to shoot this little Guy!!)

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
Hi Doc Mark

I have this picture in my mind of you standing there in the store. The bearcat box is on the counter. You have all the paper work filled out. Your hand is about an inch from the box. You are counting down 5 4 3 2 1. You grab your bearcat and run for the door as fast as you can. Another style of "Gun Grabber"

Good luck with your new toy!!
stubbfarmer :D :D :D

bulletnose

Bearcat
WOW- I got my Belt Mountain Base Pin today, (less than one week by snail mail both ways- thanks, Kelye). Can hardly wait for the SS ERH's to come avaliable again!! You know, I have really become enamored with the styling of the Bearcat and got to thinking (I know, that can be dangerous), but wouldn't it be really cool if Ruger was to build a Bearcat just large enough to handle the .357mag. I just bet it would be a big hit among a lot of shooters from general plinkers to SASS shooters. Am I crazy or what?? :idea:

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
stubbfarmer said:
Hi Doc Mark

I have this picture in my mind of you standing there in the store. The bearcat box is on the counter. You have all the paper work filled out. Your hand is about an inch from the box. You are counting down 5 4 3 2 1. You grab your bearcat and run for the door as fast as you can. Another style of "Gun Grabber"

Good luck with your new toy!!
stubbfarmer :D :D :D

Hey, Stubbfarmer, Bulletnose, Baldy, and All,

Thanks, very much!! In truth, it was sort of the way you imagined it, SF!! 8) :lol: :lol: After hitting Bass Pro Shop, and Walmart, for a selection of ammunition, I headed to the gunstore, which was Turners, and it was almost exactly time for pick-up!! Couldn't have planned it better, actually! I presented my paperwork to one of the guys behind the counter, luckily one who actually knew something, and soon had the box in front of me for a close inspection, before the final paperwork. Here in CA, there is no such things as being a "gun grabber" in gun stores, unfortunately! :wink: :cry: :D But, after all the signatures had been signed, and after having proved that I'd paid in full, I was on my way with my little Bearcat tucked under my arm! I dutifully put it in the back of the Jeep, along with the ammunition, which is actually a no-no in this State, and didn't get but a few hundreds yards away before remembering that. So, I got the pistol box up front with me, along with all the paperwork, and left the ammo in the back.

Here's a shot of my harvest today, featuring my new Bearcat, and the ammunition selection I'd chosen to begin my testing.

DSCN0068.jpg

I got a big grin when I thought about what those folks who "don't understand guns" would think if they knew I was driving along with a new gun in the Jeep, and 2,225 rounds of various .22 ammunition in the back!! They'd probably have a heart attack!!! :shock: :shock: :roll: :D I figure I have a good start on seeing what the little guy likes, and doesn't like. I'm banking on the CCI MiniMags, and the Federal bulk stuff from Wally World, shooting the best. But, won't know, for sure, until the shooting is done and the dust settles! In any case, I know there is some fun time ahead at the range, or down in the desert, getting to know my little Bearcat! I've been working the action, controlling the return of the trigger by letting down the hammer gently, quite a few times, and it feels smooth, crisp, and tight. The Bearcat locks up as tight as a drum, when fully cocked, and that's a good sign. No fore and aft end play, so far. The barrel and cylinder gaps, though not measured, look just right to my eyes, so I'm hoping this little guy will be a fine shooter, indeed. I'll most certainly clean and lightly lube this little guy before shooting him, and look forward to doing so as soon as possible!!

Thanks to you guys, and all others, who offered information, encouragement, and suggestions when I first asked about this little revolver! Much appreciated, Folks!! I've got a stainless steel ejector shroud housing on order with Eric, when he makes his next batch, and so things are really starting to come together. Might have to check out those replacement cylinder pins, too, but that can wait a bit. Thanks, again, and God Bless!!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. Sweet Bride's been working in Louisiana, but comes home tomorrow. I'll be sleeping with the little Ruger tonight.... just so it doesn't feel strange in it's new home!! :wink: :wink: 8) :D :D

Noah228

Bearcat
Hi Doc,

Congratulations on your purchase. Sweet shooting fun little guns. I have one exactly like yours. Bought it last year. Pretty good little shooter. Mine loves the Winchester Super Speeds like you bought and also CCI Stingers but does OK with just about anything. Not as accurate as its big brother Single Six with Adj. sights, but at 24 oz. its the one I most like to plink and practice with. Nice little kit gun for fishing and hiking too.
I also bought the Bearcat holster from the Ruger store and it does the job well. Enjoy shooting your new Bearcat. Let us know how you do.

Best,

Noah

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Morning, Noah228,

Thanks, very much, for the kind words, and also for your thoughts on your own Bearcat! I worked the action on mine, quite a few times last night, and will continue doing so. As soon as possible, however, I'll get out and put some rounds through it. For me, it holds nicely, and I'm hoping it turns out to be a really nice little shooter. My own Single Six is great with all .22 Mag ammo, but has been VERY picky about regular .22 stuff, only shooting good with Federal brand ammo. That's part of why I bought so much of the Federal yesterday. When I go out to shoot the Bearcat, I'll take along my SS, too, just for fun. My SS is an OM, with fixed sights, and 9 1/2" barrel. Even so, it's possible that the little Bearcat can, and hopefully will, give it a run for it's money! Thanks, again, for your comments, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

DGNY

Bearcat
Do keep us in the loop as you break in your new Bearcat and determine its preferences in ammo. Was glad to read that in exercising the action, you let the hammer down easily.

I managed to peen my chambers in one circuit of the cylinder, due to my over enthusiasm!!

Thanks for your sequence of posts along the highways and byways of your journey of decision and purchase.

Regards,

Dyson

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Hi, DGNY,

Many thanks, Sir, for the kind words! My progress in this fun journey has been enjoyable, and the learning has come from many of your here at the RF. Much more to learn, which is also fun! I'm looking forward to shooting this little guy, and last night, watched "Open Range", with Sweet Bride, working the action on my new Bearcat, now and then, as the film action dictated!! :wink: 8) :lol: :lol: I haven't dry fired it, though, and probably won't until I get some new fired cases, then I will do so. But, I sort of figure that live fire is the best way to go with this little gem of a machine! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

QB

Single-Sixer
What is that CCI CB 22 Short ammo used for? How does it compare to the CCI Mini Mag 22LR HP or other 22LR ammo? Does it cost the same as 22LR?

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
Hi Doc
You can remove the cylinder and put the cylinder pin back in and fire away. I watched Open Range a couple days ago. I like where Kevin Costner shoots a guy ten times with his six shooter without reloading.
stubbfarmer

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Hi, Guys,

QB, I've heard that the CB caps are more quiet then regular .22 stuff, and so decided to give them a try. I have yet to get time to go shoot, as we're covered with snow, and lots of work. But, I hope to put some rounds through the little Bearcat soon, and will report back, with target photos of each round.

StubbFarmer, thanks, very much for that suggestion. I had not considered that option, but see how it could be a good way to go. Still just working the action, right now, easing the hammer down. As I work, I keep my little pistol close by, and every now and then, reach over and grab it to work the action, 14 times with the right hand, then 14 times with the left hand, then back to work! Hey, it's fun, in a very weird sort of way!

If I may ask, what holsters do you guys recommend for this little fella? I've seen the Ruger holster, made by Triple K, if memory serves, and some custom stuff, which was very nice. Any other decent holsters for field carry? How about for concealed carry, under a backpack? Any flap holsters, besides the custom one that was posted here a little while back? The fellow who made it did a fine job, but did not offer his work for sale, so I figure he was just exhibiting his stuff for our enjoyment. I've made one holster for a little 1750's repro of a pocket flintlock, and it came out OK. Maybe I'll try my hand at it, someday. But, for now, it would be nice just to have something that will protect it when out and about in the woods. Thanks, as always, Gentlemen and Ladies, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (back to work..... after I work the action a couple of times, of course!) :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

swcr

Bearcat
If these are the holsters you're referring to then yes I do offer them for sale.

Ruger Bearcat field holster
RugerBearcat.jpg

Bearcat full flap holster
RugerBearcatFullFlap.jpg

RugerBearcatFullFlap2.jpg

Other styles of field holster are also possible including Threepersons though I don't have pics of any Threepersons I've made at this time.

Single Six field holster
SingleSixcrossdraw3.jpg

As far as concealment holsters go something like this, with or without thumb break, would be easy enough to do.

Blackhawk OWB1 with thumb break
RugerBlackhawk4625OWB1withthumbbreak.jpg

More pics and info can be found on my website.
http://www.rnrgunleather.com/

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Morning, Eugene, and All,

VERY nice work on those holsters, Sir!! I'm sorely tempted, and will be talking to you as soon as I have time to do some heavy shooting with my little Bearcat. Thank you for contacting me, and for the photos of your fine work. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

alkpon

Bearcat
With that ammo selection, don't let the grin disappear. Bearcats are fine guns, BUT, you can hardly expect all that ammo to shoot to same point of aim with fixed sights. Ain't gonna do it.....and frustrating holding 4" low and 3" left or right. Save up a few, around 300, and have Clements Custom Guns install adjustable rear sight and front sight.
Then, you can shoot all that ammo, CB's to "powerhouse" 40gr to X with adjustments.
Been there.

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Morning, alkpon,

Many thanks for the reminder about different ammo shooting to a different POI, in different guns. In truth, that's why I bought so much, and the different type and brands. Once I find out which one my little BC likes, that will become it's regular diet of choice! :wink: 8) :D

I have given thought to having adjustable sights put on this little gun, but will wait until I really get to know it, as it is, before moving forward with changing it. Who knows, I might just find the perfect loads for it, which shoot right to POA! 8) 8) Thanks, again, and I'll most certainly keep the new sights in mind, when the time is right for such a modification. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc