VERY EARLY RUGER SINGLE SIX FLAT GATE #93

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
You know when I see an old gun that looks in great shape, of course you feel good for the guy who "just got it", but what about the guy who had it before him. To me the history of a very well cared for gun always intrigued me. For one, when the original guy bought it and where he bought it. Of course that guy cared for the gun in its great condition. He even switched out the flat gate to the rounded one. Did he sell it to someone else. Heck for that matter why didn't his kids or his relatives want to keep it. It is to me anyway, a family heirloom. I guess it could have been an estate sale or the guy or family just sold it.....I guess maybe I'm weird, but I sort of like to be like an old Paul Harvey. It's good to know the rest of the story ...when you know that , it makes it even more special knowing the true history of the gun.

Star43

Blackhawk
Well it would be certainly nice to know the history of this #93........First year of production, well cared for ALL of these years, etc....To me it is kind of weird that it didn't "stay in the family".....I mean we aren't talking about a well cared for gun that was made in 1993.....it was from 1953....

Star43

Blackhawk
Just wondering .....I mean if it was the 14th one made as was mentioned earlier.....I wonder why it was numbered as #93....which is still ridiculously low, but only the 14th one made ?? The story of this gun would be very interesting for Ruger fans I would think ?? Definitely interesting for me. 🙂

According to John Dougans book....................
The 93 was one of the first 14 guns produced, December 15th 1953.
An historic one for sure.

Slide that baby over to the classifieds.............. :cool:

Cheers,
JAYDAWG
JAYDAWG you haven't got enough marbles to offer a fair trade in the classifieds. Beautiful flatgate and nice to be seen. Thanks for showing us victorio1sw.

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
Just wondering .....I mean if it was the 14th one made as was mentioned earlier.....I wonder why it was numbered as #93....which is still ridiculously low, but only the 14th one made ?? The story of this gun would be very interesting for Ruger fans I would think ?? Definitely interesting for me. 🙂

90% of what I have learned and 100% of facts I post about the early RRS guns come from John Dougans book "Ruger Pistols & Revolvers" The vintage years 1949-1973. I would encourage anyone who wants more knowledge about the history of Ruger and specifics about production NEEDS this book. I'm always reading up & refreshing my memory in it.

Back to the 93 and early serial numbers..........out of the first 17 Single Sixes produced the two days of December 15th & 16th 1953, six of those were 3 digit guns. In fact 28 of the first 86 guns were 3 digit.
It's referred to as the parts bin theory.
Fun stuff :D

Cheers,
JaydaWg

Star43

Blackhawk
Well, that is all fine and good, as you read it in a book, But my question is really to the OP.......I wish he would share with us some history of his actual "new to him gun",. Serial number #93..... I would hope he would share what he may know of the origins of this very early made Single Six....To me and many others, the SS is very special. It would be nice to hear the story, if possible, about the origins of this particular gun.....I mean if he doesn't know, well that is ok and fine too, but how often does one come across something like this ....in my opinion.....it doesn't hurt to ask.....

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
Totally get it.
The type 1 RSS's are my kryptonite, and I always ask, how long have you had it?, why are you selling?
Most of these guns have circulated in the Ruger collecting community for several decades and have had many
caretakers through the years.
Unfortunately, NO ONE selling one of these is the original owner.
So, unless victorio1sw is the great grandson of a Ruger employee from 1957, and grandpa told him everything,
this guns' story is lost to history.

Cheers,
JAYDAWG

PS,
This would have been a subscription # , so the factory letter could disclose the original owner & pedigree

Star43

Blackhawk
It would be nice to hear from the OP on how he was fortunate to come across his new gun ?? Maybe he knows how it even came to be available in the first place and/or if he knew the original owner ?? #93 sounds interesting !!