Blackhawk brass frame ID?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jrl9164

Bearcat
I have a brass frame on a Blackhawk, looking for identification. Inside of frame has the MR-3DB stamping on right side, like in Dougan book, but has 'BELVEAL' in the brass butt end? Can someone give me a clue? Is this factory or a good forgery of the stamping inside?
Thanks, Jim

hittman

Staff member
I don't know but since Ruger only charges $10 for factory verification, I'd do that.

contender

Ruger Guru
MR-3DB is the factory casting marks. I don't recall anything else ever being added.

Can you post pictures of both markings?

If it came on the gun, a factory letter ($10) would be well worth it, as it'd increase the value of the gun, if it letters as having shipped with the brass grip frame.

Serial number and Cal. of Blackhawk would help identify if it was shipped with a brass frame
1692975723939.png

jrl9164

Bearcat
Pics
Believe factory, but not sure of what idiot did the BELVEAL. Will check with Ruger to see if it letters anyway. I assume this will destroy the value?

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    661.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    506.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 121

G2

Hunter
As is with no provenance it sure does not help,,,
But what happens when it does turn out to be something special.😳

It can be removed without evidence of its removal, Most of these "MR-3DB" grip frames were oversized and full of porosity.

…a little history…
Fitting them became labor intensive with contamination to the cylinder frame and having effect on the bluing process,,,
the reason a lot were sold as an accessory w/ a wide trigger.

NICE EARLY Old Army you have there, these guns early BRASS GRIP FRAME'd Old Army's are really neat, IMO. Get a letter and hope it comes back as a BGF Gun, will increase its value but One has to part with it to recognize the gain, and that usually comes with a big-ol dose of regret…🙄
And even if it doesn't come back as leaving the factory as a BFG, it's still a early gun that has a period correct BFG accessory.

FWIW; MR-3DB is in the casting, not stamped, yours is 100% correct. Sometimes the MR-3DB can be very faint and difficult to see, especially amongst all the "rough stuff".

Last edited:

jrl9164

Bearcat
Now I have a silly question that I should know the answer to. This brass frame was on a Old Army; letter pending to confirm if from factory. However, stocks are not factory. In going to replace with Blackhawk wood factory panels I have, they are substantially too small for this brass frame. Same with another Old Army with brass, both with MR-3DB castings. Why was this grip frame not the standard revolver (Blackhawk, SS, etc.)? Now that I need factory grips to fit this larger grip, what is the nomenclature for same? This one threw me, but thanks for any help/advice.
James

Edit:
I looking at my Dougan book, it appears I have MR-3, perhaps with a B also since this are stamped as such. What do I need to search for to acquire a set of factory stocks for this Old Army with MR-3DB casting? Hopefully Ruger letter will confirm that both firearms came with the brass on.
Thanks, again
James

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member

Maybe this will help?

,,,yes it is a factory brass frame ,uses a Super (S-47) grips, if that frame came on that gun it would have the silver eagle ( squashed chicken) medallions and the gun would have the wide trigger, that was the 'set",,, as to that "personnalized" engraving ( etching) would be a piece of cake to remove and one would never know it was there...as noted above just maybe that gun was shipped as an Old ARMY brass frame, thus either a letter or even look up the listings for the brass frames in Dougans books......:cool:;)