17 Mach 2 Bearcat?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
Does anyone know of a gunsmith that converts .22 LR bearcats to 17 Mach 2?

A new cylinder and barrel or liner would be required.

Thinking smaller hole in pelts in a small trapline gun.

Know about the Kimber semi-autos, huge Taurus guns and Rugers HMR's. Was looking for a single six convertable but rare as hens teeth.

I see your point--BUT. Having owned a 17 HM2 conversion of a 10-22, a couple of factors come to mind when looking at this round in a handgun (especially a revolver). The 17HM2 is fairly loud from a 16-18" barrel. Even louder from a revolver. Ammo availability and cost is another factor. If you want to spend 50 cents (maybe more) per round for nearly 'unobtainium' 17HM2 ammo on top of the cost to acquire the revolver, go for it and I hope it works out.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I have been looking for a single six that was a one year only 17 convertible . Was 17hmr and 17 mach 2. They are rare ..........I think they were made in 2006 .

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have been looking for a single six that was a one year only 17 convertible . Was 17hmr and 17 mach 2. They are rare ..........I think they were made in 2006 .
I owned one for a short time. Longer barrel and very "heavy".

1) I wouldn't let ammo cost deter you, unless you're dispatching huge numbers of critters on a trapline! 😳 sgammo.com and outdoorlimited.com both have a good supply of .17HM2 ammo as I type this, varying from $0.18-0.22 per round.

2) You might also consider looking into one of the NAA "mini" revolvers. I remember when they were offering at least one model in a .17HMR/.17HM2 convertible. I don't remember which specific model(s) they chambered in the .17 calibers. Their "snubbies" wouldn't be the greatest for your use, but if you could find one with a longer barrel (like 4 inches), that might work for you.

***As much as I appreciate your idea for something "different," a .22 Bearcat with some CB Short, CB Long, or .22 Short cartridges would likely give virtually identical results, while saving you hundreds of dollars.

I know… I'm no fun! 🤪

CCI has a bunch of low-powered loads that might serve you well. At least three of them are available (in stock) from CCI, right now. A box of 100 makes for a lot of dispatched animals…

You'll have to peruse the page, they're kind of scattered amongst the full-powered loads, on this page: https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/

Last edited:

flhr95

Bearcat
I see your point--BUT. Having owned a 17 HM2 conversion of a 10-22, a couple of factors come to mind when looking at this round in a handgun (especially a revolver). The 17HM2 is fairly loud from a 16-18" barrel. Even louder from a revolver. Ammo availability and cost is another factor. If you want to spend 50 cents (maybe more) per round for nearly 'unobtainium' 17HM2 ammo on top of the cost to acquire the revolver, go for it and I hope it works out.
Would you mind sharing the name of the gunsmith that converted your 10/22, very interested.
Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
To answer the OP,, to get a Bearcat in 17HMR Mach 2 would be an expensive custom. As you've seen, a new barrel & cylinder would be required. The cylinder would have to be built from a blank. Not a cheap proposition in general.
If the .17 Mach 2 is the one you need,, then either buy a .17 HMR (similar to the one shown on GB above,) and have a cylinder built,, or pay seriously for one of the hard to find convertibles.
As a trapper & someone who understand the desire to reduce pelt damage,, I understand your thoughts.

BUT,, we trappers tend to be a bit frugal. The best advice would be to follow Uncle Howie's info on a different bullet selection for your Bearcat.

I own one of the hard to find Hunter Single-Sixes in .17 HMR & .17 Mach 2. And if I want to reduce the pelt damage,, I'd still use a standard velocity or lower powered .22 as offered by CCI. Plus,, I have enough .22 Shorts for that purpose too. The .17 Mach 2 wouldn't be my choice for dispatching a trapped critter if I didn't already have one.

"Would you mind sharing the name of the gunsmith that converted your 10/22, very interested.
Thanks."
No gunsmith involved. Bought a Green Mountain barrel and a 'heavy' bolt knob on ebay. A little 'fitting' of the birch stock to the new barrel profile and that was it.
I used the 17 Mach 2 for several years removing nuisance critters(mostly groundhogs) and it worked well (even inside closed buildings) due to the extremely remote chances of overpenetration or ricochet.
After I was 're-hired' by another Federal agency, I no longer did critter control and ended up selling the barrel and an entire case of ammo to a guy who was seriously enamored with the little cartridge.

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
Thank you. It reminds me to always listen to the advice of experianced people. I'll stick with my bearcat and I too have plenty of shorts and longs and lower or std power lr's that do work well.

The comment about the 17 mach 2 being louder also surprised me, I didn't expect or think about that.

Hey, a guy can dream up anything, right! Thanks all.

i think Dale Storey still makes 17HM2 cylinders for the single six [ i got one for m single six 17HMR ] and he may offer barrels and cylinders...he did in the past.

ammo can be had for as low as 83$ per brick of 500...just bought two bricks from this place: