Ballistol brand cleaner / lube

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shooter McGavin

Bearcat
Hello. Has anybody out there used Ballistol (www.ballistol.com) to clean / lube their weapon? I've seen it on a couple Google cleaning videos with mostly rave reviews. Do you use it full strength or diluted with water? Good stuff? Thanks for any feedback.

Sixer

Bearcat
Use it on my Shiloh Sharps all the time. I use it diluted with water to swab the bore. Then run a patch of pure. I use it on the wood and all exterior surfaces. I use it on my leather. I love the stuff.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
I've been using it for years. It cleans everything. I use it full strength,and it gets lead OUT of the barrel. It will get your gun clean. It cleans shotguns and black powder firearms really well. Leather, salt water fishing reels. IT WORKS!

6gun

Hunter
I have never tried Ballistol oil, anyone know how it is compares to CLP ?

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
It is better than CLP, IMO. A test was done, put Ballistol on some guns, buried them in Alaska for 2 years. They were in storage bags. When they dug them up, all the guns functioned and shot. Some were revolvers, semi-auto rifles and pistols, and they all shot. The germans developed Ballistol in WWII, it is a synthetic oil. It's all I use. Hickok45 uses it in some of his videos. He cleaned an SR1911, then shot the heck out of it! Cool video and Ballistol works. Brownell's has it! bhk

contender

Ruger Guru
A friend brought me a muzzleloader yesterday. He'd shot it 3 times during our ML season. The season ended Oct 12th. It has not been cleaned at all. First thing I did last night when I got it home,,, put Ballistol in it to soak.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
The Blackhawk Kid said:
A test was done, put Ballistol on some guns, buried them in Alaska for 2 years. They were in storage bags. When they dug them up, all the guns functioned and shot. Some were revolvers, semi-auto rifles and pistols, and they all shot. bhk

Can you post a link to this test? I would be interested in reading it.

Shooter McGavin

Bearcat
Blackhawk Kid- You're up on Google :) Hickok45 is who first sold me on it...but it's hard to come by up here in the Great Pac NW. Your comment about saltwater fishing reels intrigued me. We spend most of our weekends on the (salt) water and I'll be curious to try it- once I find some. Thanks for the insight.

I got mine from Midway USA. First time I thought I was buying the aerosol can but ordered the can of liquid. Just as well when I used it to mix with water to clean my smoothbore. Then I ordered the aerosol. Good to have both. I like the smell. No strong lingering odor. I like being able to use it on stocks too. I just put a couple of coats on the underside of my SR1911 panels to discourage those curious little black rust spots. Good product.

WOB

Bearcat
Ballistol is definitely not a synthetic. It was developed before 1905 and synthetic oils were unknown then. It is based on medicinal grade white mineral oil like you can buy at the drug store. As such it is non-hazardous, but is unlikely to perform well as a lube in extreme pressure conditions( metal to metal).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol
http://www.tdeinc.com/wp-content/uploads/PDFs/MSDS/lubricants/Ballistol-Multipurpose-Lubricant-MSDS-Sheet.pdf

WOB

Enigma

Hunter
Shooter McGavin said:
Blackhawk Kid- You're up on Google :) Hickok45 is who first sold me on it...but it's hard to come by up here in the Great Pac NW. Your comment about saltwater fishing reels intrigued me. We spend most of our weekends on the (salt) water and I'll be curious to try it- once I find some. Thanks for the insight.

http://www.ballistol.com/order/

kywoodwrkr

Bearcat
Wish I had known on March 29,2008 what I know now about Ballistol.
I had a fire and about 150 rifles and 30 pistols were covered with a black smoky plastic like covering.
WD-40, naptha, acetone and paint stripper wouldn't budge the soot and whatever was in it.
A couple of months later I read about Ballistol and decided if it was good enough for the German army
to clean their black powder rifles with, it might do the trick.
I ordered a 5 gallon bucket of it and have been busy cleaning ever since. Molds, dies and everything responds well to it.
It does not harm plastic, wood, paper etc., but I don't use it on leather, using Pecard antique leather cleaner and conditioner.
So, if you ever have something 'harmed' by whatever, I'd recommend Ballistol.
I bought mine from Wiseman Trading FWIW. $245/5gal now-WOW.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
One property of Ballistol that can be really useful is it sets up like a gel after a couple of minutes. Nice and clingy.

loaded round

Hunter
I've been using Ballistol off and on now for several years and I like it. Can't say if it's as good as Hoppes or Breakfree CLP yet, but it does work on removing powder residue. Ballistol works great on stocks and leather also.