HELP! Brand new Vaquero Birdshead....problem from factory

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Hey All,
Just picked up my new Vaquero Birdshead in 45 ACP.
Upon inspecting it and cleaning it, fresh from the case......I noted a little "daylight" showing between the grip frame and the frame, around the forward-most portion of the grip frame.

So, as I go about (gently, with proper gunsmithing screw driver) trying to tighten the front grip frame screw.....I notice immediately that it feels....STRIPPED!

Nervous, I remove all the grip frame screws and inspect that forward screw hole.....can't quite tell, but don't notice any silvery, stripped looking metal......but hard to know....

The screw itself looked FINE, with NO sign of stripped threads.

So, I put it all back together carefully, and......the darn forward grip frame screw hole must be STRIPPED!

This is NIB, straight from the factory to distributor to my FFL. It was made in Nov of 2014.

Anyone ever experienced this? I assume that the revolver will need to take a trip back to Ruger?
Thought of simply ordering the proper screw....but I think it must be the frame threads that are stripped!

Discouraging to get a shiny new single action revolver.....and it ain't right! :(

6gun

Hunter
Yup back to the factory with it, give Ruger a call and ask them for a shipping lable

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
I don't know.....I pulled it apart again, and perhaps it IS the screw that is stripped?.......
It does have several threads that are silvery looking...but they don't appear to be stripped HARD, if you know what I mean?

I'll call Ruger tomorrow after work, and hope they'll send me a replacement screw, and I'll go from there.
I was about to order them from Midway USA, but....shipping is more than the screws!

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
I put the screw in without the grip frame, just to test the threads.

It seems like all the screw and screw hole threads are working together.....but the screw seems to have some "wiggle" room, as I can gently move it from side to side, while it is inserted.

Once I assembled the revolver again, it almost seemed like the screw was a tad bit too short, and thus not grabbing enough thread to grab ahold and do it's job....

Man, I hope it is not the cylinder frame, having stripped threads........this specimen has a GREAT bluing job, and I hate to give it back for a replacement!

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
does the grip screw have the plastic "nylok" insert? It may be missing and be is what is causing the problem

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
TINCANBANDIT said:
does the grip screw have the plastic "nylok" insert? It may be missing and be is what is causing the problem
Yes, the screw in question has the nylok insert.....I just got off the phone with Ruger, and back to the factory it goes!
I tried to see if I could hand deliver it (I used to work in the Newport facility, and my father retired from there last year), but it is a NO GO in the post-911 world.

If I knew someone who specifically worked in that dept, I'd have them bring it in, but if I need a replacement gun.....better to go through official channels!

I always have great luck with quality, regardless of manufacturer....but not this time!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I hope you insisted on a free shipping label. I just remembered something else; sometimes the screw threads on the screw aren't cut close enough to the head of the screw and it tightens in the frame before pulling the grip frame up tight.

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
I hope you insisted on a free shipping label. I just remembered something else; sometimes the screw threads on the screw aren't cut close enough to the head of the screw and it tightens in the frame before pulling the grip frame up tight.
Yes Sir,
Shipping label sent via email, and I printed it out.
After your advice regarding possible screw threads, I checked the screw in question, and it seems like the threads are cut as "high" as they could be, in relation to the head.
Off to the factory.......

Wheelyfun44 said:
TINCANBANDIT said:
Yes, the screw in question has the nylok insert.....I just got off the phone with Ruger, and back to the factory it goes!
I tried to see if I could hand deliver it (I used to work in the Newport facility, and my father retired from there last year), but it is a NO GO in the post-911 world.

If I knew someone who specifically worked in that dept, I'd have them bring it in, but if I need a replacement gun.....better to go through official channels!

I always have great luck with quality, regardless of manufacturer....but not this time!

Something new I use to live and work in the area on more than one occasion I brouhgt in guns and droped them off.The turn around time was only a day or two. They treaty locals real well.
The guard at the gate use to put one of those yellow plastic disc in the revolver.
Send you to the receptionist she have you take a seat and a smith would come out and speak to you.
The receptionist then would give you a Patch or trinket and you go on your way. The good old days.
It is too bad they will not allow it any more. ps

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Got the Birdshead back from Ruger....10 day turn around....not bad!

I called them to see what the fix was, and they said "repaired screw hole" and replaced screw. (and test fired)

I'll pull it apart and take pics later, as I am curious to get some opinions on how they could "repair screw hole" without tapping it bigger?

I shipped it without grips, in hopes that they would put some new ones on before return shipping........and they DID!
I'll get it out and fire it today.....with a full report to follow.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Great out come for you! Glad to hear it worked out.

I just jailed a new blue one 45 ACP talo- initial inspection was not good, grips did not fit well, seems to have excess cylinder gap, nick in the dished portion of the loading gate- other minor defects.

Ordered from a on line vendor.

Hear in California we have a ten day wait. Will have to wait about a week to pick it up and really check it. May have to send it back to Ruger,

Its a bummer- cylinder gap is almost nothing on the S/S one I have. It is is really well made near custom shop fit and finish, really love those little 45ACP birdheads.!

I am bummed that my new blue one may have some problems.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bravo,

Glad to hear that. I suspect, since the thread went all the way to the screw head, but it wouldn't close the gap of the grip frame to main frame, the hole wasn't tapped all the way thru. So that screw couldn't thread in all the way. If one kept tightening the screw and it felt stripped (wouldn't tighten and won't go in any more) the high points of the threads were slipping past each other and were stripped. So they discarded the screw, and threaded the hole all the way thru. Now the new screw will thread all the way in because the new threads on the screw and the new threads in the end of the hole will tighten up and also close the gap.

Or they used a heli-coil repair. Drilled the hole larger, threaded it for the larger diameter heli-coil, screwed it in with Loctite, and screwed the new screw of correct diameter into the heli-coil. Use of a magnifying glass should tell the story.