Auto's are better than revolver's. Period!!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
What's better, auto or revolver?

Kind of like asking what's better, a Honda Civic or a 3/4 ton 4X4 pickup truck, isn't it?

Kinda depends on exactly what you want to do.... :wink:

mattsbox99

Hunter
9mmXfactor said:
repeat same competition at 25 yards and i'd smoke your revolver!!!

I have a steel course set up every thursday night at the local range. Its got 5 knockdown targets and then a dueling tree at 25 yards with 4 'flags' 3" circles and a 'can' at the top that is 1"x3". I usually shoot my semi auto, but its no run of the mill gun. Its heavily tuned and quite reliable and accurate. I shoot with some other guys that pretty much all shoot revolvers. They all have to reload and I don't and they usually beat me. I'm a USPSA 'A' class shooter.

Neither is better, a focused individual can learn to shoot any gun well. The only 6 division USPSA Master is a farmer from Alabama. He has reached master class in Revolver, Production, L10, Limited, Single Stack (1911s), & Open.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I own several of both types even have 1 glock. The revolvers outclass all auto's in available calibers. If you want power go revolver if you want capacity go auto. my bedside gun is my glock 22 a 16+1 auto I have 6 1911 45 acp's and revolvers in most every caliber from 17 hmr to 45-70. My favorites are my single actions and next are my 1911's so I'm not aganst owning a auto or a revolver both have their place and each has a nitche that it fills well. So far my auto's have been 100% reliable and also my revolvers. The auto's are more likely to fail because of more moving parts this is a fact but if a part fails in a revolver it won't shoot either so 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
First off, I LOVE scoped revolvers. They are awesome. Nothing like shooting a 1" group at 50 yards with a handgun. I know, I know, on the internet there loads of people who can do it with open sights at much further. :roll: Anyhow.... I do think you were cheating and did revolvers a discredit by using a scope. I don't know what your ability is, but I think most of us could hit a 12" gong at 75 yards at least twice in two minutes using open sights using a rest. I'd give them another chance and say no scopes. Beat them straight up in a fair match. Then you can brag.

9mmXfactor

Bearcat
contender said:
9mmXfactor,,will you offer that challenge to anyone?
If so,, I'd like to suggest you challenge Jerry or Bob,, (as in Miculek or Mundon)
I have a video showing Bob Mundon making a SA revolver shoot faster than a 1911.

Pal Val is right in many respects. They are both two different types of firearms. Both have their pro's & con's. But,, when I teach,, especially people who are NOT gun savy, nor will become very active in shooting,, I point out a few basics. One,, the revolvers are about a KISS simple as it can be AND reliable doing so. Next,,, I point out that in a potential life threatening situtation,, you should have the best quality, most reliable, repeatable firearm for your protection. Combine all that,, and you come up with the DA revolver. Nothing is 100% perfect,, and liked by all. But the DA revolver is as close as you can get for the casual gun owner.

i wouldnt want to take this bet simply for the fact that he is basically the best ever revolver shooter but here is my rebuttle anyway ;)

give me 25 magazines and a glock 19 and i can ring that 12'' plate at 25 yards ALOT in 2 minutes. hard for any revolver to really keep up... perspective!

10X

Bearcat
Before I comment...I like my revolvers as well ...I have a 65-5 for carry and a GP-100 for Bullseye work.......I would be willing to challange you to the same deal but I would use my 1911 and I would bet I could go round for round with you ......Now my 1911 has had some work and has a Ultra Dot sight on it ..It wil hold 1'' groups at 25yds from a sand bag rest with my handloads......But of course after we shoot it your way ..then we shoot it my way.....standing , one handed ......and I'll just settle for a beer after Ive won... :lol:

10x out

Wrangler John

Bearcat
Well, if I pulled my old Ruger Blackhawk .357 Maximum out of the closet, that gong wouldn't stand much of a chance at 200 meters, or about 223 yards - with open sights. The two .480 Rugers would give a good showing too. Problem is that I'd probably have to bring a team of physical therapists with me to get me out of that Creedmore position and stand me back up.

Tioga County

Bearcat
9mmXfactor said:
contender said:
9mmXfactor,,will you offer that challenge to anyone?
If so,, I'd like to suggest you challenge Jerry or Bob,, (as in Miculek or Mundon)
I have a video showing Bob Mundon making a SA revolver shoot faster than a 1911.

Pal Val is right in many respects. They are both two different types of firearms. Both have their pro's & con's. But,, when I teach,, especially people who are NOT gun savy, nor will become very active in shooting,, I point out a few basics. One,, the revolvers are about a KISS simple as it can be AND reliable doing so. Next,,, I point out that in a potential life threatening situtation,, you should have the best quality, most reliable, repeatable firearm for your protection. Combine all that,, and you come up with the DA revolver. Nothing is 100% perfect,, and liked by all. But the DA revolver is as close as you can get for the casual gun owner.

i wouldnt want to take this bet simply for the fact that he is basically the best ever revolver shooter but here is my rebuttle anyway ;)

give me 25 magazines and a glock 19 and i can ring that 12'' plate at 25 yards ALOT in 2 minutes. hard for any revolver to really keep up... perspective!

25 yards offhand, you and your Glock 19, vs a revolver. Start unloaded, you each get a box of ammo, and 2 minutes. Much of an advantage to either? What if there were unlimited ammo, and you had to start unloaded?

dantanna58

Bearcat
Auto's are better than revolver's. Period!!!!! Some folk's can not see the forest for the tree's. The point of this topic is not how well anyone can shoot. Not how equipped a person's firearm is. Not how many rounds a certain firearm holds. Nobody cares. The point is " Use the right tool for the job at hand. You would not use a Kitchen knife to saw down an
oak tree. Nor would you use a chainsaw to slice a birthday cake. There is no perfect do it all handgun. The only one that even comes close is a .357 magnum revolver.

Tioga County

Bearcat
I don't disagree that this is a silly debate, and it doesn't matter to me, because I also understand it comes down to personal preference, and I'll own/carry/use what I want. I am curious though, in a timed event, 12" plate at 25yds, if you start off with an empty weapon and a box of ammo, does either platform have an advantage? Are we comparing a kitchen knife to a chainsaw, or a Buck knife to a Case?

MikeMcD

Bearcat
Autos jam. Autos are high maintenance. Autos throw brass all over the place: bad for picking up, bad for leaving your ID everywhere. Autos are not as versatile regarding differing loads etc. Autos can't shoot snake loads.
On the positive side: Autos have firepower; Autos are a tinkerers dream; Autos are often easier to pack.
Revolvers can be more powerful. Revolvers don't drop hot brass into snow. Revolvers are reliable - even when left untouched for decades. Revolvers are simpler for those who need one and don't have lots of training. Revolvers are more intimidating to aggressors. Revolvers are American.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
how many responders to this actually read the whole post these answers are all over the place and it looks like most just read the subject line. WOW!!!

lfpiii

Blackhawk
As someone who has fired every handgun made in the last fifty years I can tell you that autos and revolvers cannot be compaired equally except in one major point. Over the long term revolvers are more reliable than autos. When I say long term I mean 10+ years.

Without going into all the details I was asked by a widow to handle two hand guns. Both guns were purchased around the sametime fifty years ago. They both had been kept loaded for atleast 30 years without removing the ammo. The S&W revolver fired the very old ammo without a problem. The Colt 1911 needed all new springs before it could fire.

If you plan on keeping a loaded gun for emergencies get a revolver.

writwing

Single-Sixer
Here's a letter I copied from a gun mag years ago.

Defends Hogleg

I'm writing to respond to you article "Experts pick Best All-Around Handgun". To Characterize the SA revolver as a "second rate sporting gun, a third rate defense gun and a fourth rate target gun" is an insult to those of us who have and believe in them. Tell that old blowhard Jeff Cooper to review the following. I'll take your points one at a time so you can understand.
The SA revolver is a far better choice than the weak, underpowered 1911 for almost any sporting use (except for maybe double-tap contests, where you try to make up for a lack of power by shooting more shots). As a defense gun it is the fasterest of all to draw and fire- faster than the 1911, too -- and I'll trust an accurate first shot over a magazine full of shots any day. As for the fourth rate target gun part, why don't we have a little contest, a target match from 15-150 meters, your 1911 vs my Super Blackhawk? I think it is fairly obvious which arm is better suited for the task, and Ill bet my Ford Bronco on it.
Yep, with my S.A. 44 Mag I can shoot anything from gophers to grizzles and blow the hell out of anyone who tries to break into my house too. That's a claim that no 1911 will ever be able to make. Hell, the only thing better than a SA revolver would be two SA revolvers. What a concealed carry combo that would make! A pair of five-inch Super Blackhawks in underarm butt-forward holsters packed full of Federal 180-grain hollow points. That would send the criminals running for their lives for sure. So you can take your newfangled wondergun and stick it. J.Viebrock, Lynnwood, WA.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have no idea why J.Viebrock of Lynnwood, WA would want to announce to the world that he has no clue about the defensive use of the modern handgun. :? :? :?

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I own both revolvers and autos; but I admit that I reach for the revolvers more than any other when I want to target practice, teach someone new how to shoot, hunt, or carry when I am ambling in the woods. I just enjoy them more for all the reasons already mentioned here. (Cannot even imagine not owning a SP101)

However, when headed out and need a carry piece - particularly when wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I always grab the LCP more than any other due to its light weight and ease of concealment. If not for the LCP, I know I would not carry as often as I do.