Anyone Using a Ruger SP101 for Home Defense?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

steenroller

Bearcat
A lot of that has to do with mindset and how you shoot. I have several high capacity firearms and seldom do a magazine dump, even when shooting my 22. I have never been in a defensive situation and pray I never get in one, but when I am shooting, even just plinking, I take the time to pick my target between shots. Even when shooting dirt clods on the backstop I still pick my targets. I imagine this would carry over to defensive shooting. If you are like some people who like to just empty a magazine it might turn into pray and spray. I have shot IDPA, IPSC, and Bianchi although it has been a while and this will teach you to pick your target. I would feel comfortable with a single or double action revolver or semi auto but I still prefer a semi auto for capacity.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
A 3" SP101 makes a very good HD revolver if one is well prepared to use it. I have kept one in a small case under the bed, with a good small flashlight and an extra speed loader, for many years. Of course, my dresser drawer also has a S&W 4516.....you know, just in case.

My current most carried SP is a first year 2.25" 38 SP, loaded with 38-44S&W level handloads based on a Brian Pearce loading article in Handloader. Those are most impressive at the range both from an accuracy and velocity perspective. And they are eminently shootable in the little SP.

eveled

Hawkeye
Floridaoutdoors said:
I finally came to the conclusion that my GP100 was 'clunky' and 'chunky' compared to my GP101.
The 101 lends itself to both home and vehicle,briefcase applications.
I prefer not to leave a firearm behind,unattended in the house in case of theft while away,the 101 totes easily to and from vehicle and back inside the house.

The 101 is more responsive than the 100
Low flash 38+P
Funny you should say that. I find the sp 101 to be too big for a 5 shot revolver. I would rather carry the GP 100. Either is a good choice for home defense, and they compliment each other well. Ed

rich642z

Single-Sixer
I have my Ruger revolvers,Smith revolver,NAA .22 mag revolver,Lcr's in .357,.22 mag and,a RIA in .45 3.5 inch barrel with 100 7 round mags loaded with ball and semi wad cutter ammo. They all shoot really well imo so,that's my guns of choce for ccw and home defense or just plain range plinking.

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
Kyhunt said:
Floridaoutdoors said:
I finally came to the conclusion that my GP100 was 'clunky' and 'chunky' compared to my GP101.
The 101 lends itself to both home and vehicle,briefcase applications.
I prefer not to leave a firearm behind,unattended in the house in case of theft while away,the 101 totes easily to and from vehicle and back inside the house.

The 101 is more responsive than the 100
Low flash 38+P

Sacrilege, :D Gp100 clunky and chunky??? Maybe a little on the chunky side but clunky? I love my gp100 as much as my sp101. I believe both the sp101 and the gp100 to be fine home defense weapons.Floridaoutdoors I'm just giving you a hard time. :mrgreen:

You are correct! I take back 'clunky'. Glad to have both 100 & 101

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
My only issues with the gp100 and sp101 is I want more of them. :mrgreen: Why??? Just because.

Flathead Smith

Bearcat
I have had a SP101 with the factory docked hammer and the 2-1/4 barrel for over ten years and have been happy with the purchase. I purchased this mainly for my wife to use and keep it loaded with 357 125 grain Hornady Critical Defense. One issue that I have had with this gun is that when it is shot with a weak handed grip (like when my son or daughter handle the weapon) sometimes a bullet will lose its crimp and jam the gun up. This has only happened with lower cost 357 ammo. It has never happened with any 38 rounds. My guess is that because the gun is relatively light, as compared to other revolvers, a firm grip is necessary to minimize gun movement during recoil. I have considered using 38 rounds in place of 357 for this reason.

I have also considered just getting another SP101 with a longer barrel (more weight) or the larger GP100 for nightstand use and just using the older SP101 for purse carry only.

As an aside this is a good reason to never to fire a warning shot, as your first shot may be the only one you get.

RaisinRiverRon

Single-Sixer
My wife has a SP101, loaded with +P .38's. my carry gun is my nightstand gun, backed up by my 870. Unless attacked by a horde of zombies, I think we have it covered.