Ammo Sensitive?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I got a new P95, cleaned it and went out to the range. With the reloads that were issued for training, it grouped about 8-10" at 7 yards, some of these were starting to keyhole. These are the loads they give us to shoot for quailification. Well to say the least I was not pleased. I went back and tried my IDPA rounds, 124 gn Berry under 4.2 of titegroup. and grouped 2" at 7 yards. Hmmmm? Federal at Walmart 3-4" at 7 yards.
Two other shooters had the same results.
My XDm9 shoots all the ammo the same, 2-3" groups.
Anyone out there have any ideas as to why it doesn't seem to like one type of ammo?
Thanks in advance :)
Jim

P95 Advocate

Bearcat
The P95 doesn't like Monarch factory loads either.
I recieved a box as a present and found the shell casings to be green in color.
Not corroded, just green.
The first mag was fine until the last round where it promptly stovepiped.
After that my gun started acting WEIRD.
Fail to fire. Fail to eject. Fail to feed. In a few cases the slide failed to operate.
While I was on the range with some buddies I left it to cool off and after a while I stripped it down and cleaned it (just so happened I had my kit with me as we all cleaned our guns before we left.)
had a bunch of white and green junk come out of the chamber and a ludicrous amount of soot and dirt was left on my cleaning brush. So i Finished cleaning it and lubed it up, loaded in 2 fresh mags of federal and went through both mags in rapid succession with no problem whatsoever.

Come to find out monarch is made in serbia and russia. They paint and laquer the casings to make them look pretty. Yeah well that's about all they do right. They don't shoot worth a crap.
Perhaps it was due to the fact that they were reloads?

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Hi P95 Advocate,
I wish it was functioning problems. My gun functions perfect, it just won't group one type of ammo. That in itself really isn't a big problem except for the fact the the only ammo it won't group is the States issued ammo that we quailify with. As I stated the gun is dead accurate with my IDPA loads but will keyhole the Academy's loads. Now that's weird. My XDm9 shoots everything great.
Jim

Pinecone

Blackhawk
buscadero, Understand that there are "many" factors involved in each "individual" gun. All guns, and that includes all P-95's, are "not" created equal. The tools that are used to cut chambers, barrels, rifling, ramps, etc. are subject to a certain ammount of "wear" before they are discarded. Also the same applies to individual "parts" to include slides and frames. If "your" gun was at the end of a tool "cycle", that could give you the result you are experiencing. It's called "stacking" in the trade. Remember, this also applies to "ammo" manufacturing, so you can see, there is a lot of possible "room" for variation from one gun to another and one brand of ammo to another and/or a combination of the two!...........................Dick :wink:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Take your pistol back out and shoot it from 7 yards again, this time brace your arms on a table or rest.
If the holes aren't touching or close to it, somethings wrong.
That will give you a good indication of what it will do and how much is operator error.
I have shot one ragged hole many times with my P guns at 10 yards braced. heck at 25 yards I can shoot a 2 inch 5 shot group which a pretty long pistol shot for me.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
buscadero, keyholing is normally caused by clogged rifling. You didn't say if the reloads were jacketed or not, but my guess is they were not and you have a bad case of leading going on there.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
I shoot a KP95 with factory and reloads. Never had a problem with heavy leading. I shoot mostly WWB but lately have been shooting some Herter's russian made stuff from Cabela's. The only malfunctions I have ever had is after 250 rounds in a single range trip, I have a couple of fail-to-feeds. I'll lube the rails and go back to it no problems. Accuracy isn't the best but I think it's me not the gun. Never had a "keyhole". It could be that the loads are light on powder or as someone stated before the rifling needs to be cleaned.

Good luck.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the replies,
All the rounds were FMJ except for the Berry's and they have a copper plateing. Total of three different shooters and it was tried with a bench rest. Like I said, it shoots my IDPA loads great, it's just the reloads (FMJ) that's issued for quailification that it doesn't like. The rifling looks normal (sharp). I wish I knew what powder they used and then I would duplicate the load and vary the charge. I took one apart but can't tell the type of powder (ball powder). Time to start experimenting. Right now I'm thinking it's an ammo problem, I'm going to work up several different load combinations to prove this out. will get back with the results.
Thanks again
Jim

9isFine

Bearcat
I wouldn't try this with any "high dollar" gun(why would you?)..with that said.
Take your cleaning rod and mount it in your cordless drill. Set the speed to low and run the brass brush through the barrel with cleaning solution. Run the brass brush in the breach chamber with cleaning solution as well. run some swabs through the barrel and get it clean. Now take a fine..very fine polishing compound and apply it to the brass brush. insert into the chamber and run it for a few seconds, then run the brush down the barrel..you can get a way with the higher speed now. run this through 3 to 5 times. This will clean out the bore and slightly polish the chamber. Wash the barrel with a strong dish soap ( like Dawn) in HOT water. If you have compressed air blow the barrel dry, if not towel dry very well. Clean the barrel again as regular and be surprised at what comes out. CLP it and you're G2G. I have a Blued P-95 that was exhibiting similar issues and this corrected it.

Don't bump the cleaning rod against the breach, don't do this through the muzzle end and exercise all around caution not to damage the barrel. Lastly you read this on the internet..so take it for what its worth.

Good luck..If you choose to do this report back the results.

Good shooting,

9isFine

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
As has been said, it's the barrel or the bullet. Lots of lead could do that; either way the bullet is unstable as it exits the barrel. My guess is the reload. Would be interesting to pull one bullet, weigh it, mike the o.d. and measure the length of the bullet. Any of these parameters could do it. Could also be the velocity. It could also be much too hard to obturate and accept the spin of the rifling. Maybe slug your barrel and compare to the reload bullet's o.d.
Please let us know. I think your reloader is trying to save money. Every problem in life seems to relate to "Follow the money."
Sonnytoo