ammo choices

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I prefer to take a 148 grain hollow base wad cutter(38 cal) Hit it with a 3 lb hammer that free falls from a height of 27 inches. Then lube size it in my 45 cal lube sizer and load it with the hollow base up. Totaly devistating on barn mice.
Hope I covered all the required bases. :mrgreen:

wayned

Bearcat
Prec 32 I just found and ordered some Rem HP 230 gr. was a great buy and gonna give them a try. The Fed Hydra look really interesting but have a really steep price to go with them.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
The beatuty of .45acp is the fact that ,unlike say 9mm , there are NO JHP load that inherently suck. The effectiveness of .45acp jhp in a given bullet weight will be fairly close between the sorta average , and the "best".

Back when my car had a carbourater , I used 185 +P and 200 +P , from CorBon. Still fine ammo ( not withstanding the passing of the Flying Ashtray ) . But in recent decades the progress of 230 jhp's , combined with similar POI to common 230 fmj is a strong factor. My testing of WWB 230JHP ( in a particular Jim Higgenbothem testing protocol for penetration AND expansion ) has me carrying generic 230 jhp with full confidence.

With the plethora of * more than plenty good * choices, selection can be made on basis of reliability, accuraccy, POI/POA < anaivability , and yes price.

Meanwhile , if you personal set of actual/ percieved parameters skews to Reduced penetration of Bad Guys and building materials on purpose at the low end of "normal" JHP's , while still having reasonably decent stopping power, the 185gr Silvertip is still the standout choice. For that matter, if the parameters call for less recoil ( aka better controlability ) than standard 230gr loads, the std vel 185gr jhp as a class are the choice.

larro123

Bearcat
I carry Hornady Critical Duty +P 220 gr flex lock
The box is a well-designed, shiny silver with red and black letters. I love it!
It shoots well in my pistol and it makes me happy :)

tinman

Buckeye
Biggfoot44 said:
The beatuty of .45acp is the fact that ,unlike say 9mm , there are NO JHP load that inherently suck. The effectiveness of .45acp jhp in a given bullet weight will be fairly close between the sorta average , and the "best".

Back when my car had a carbourater , I used 185 +P and 200 +P , from CorBon. Still fine ammo ( not withstanding the passing of the Flying Ashtray ) . But in recent decades the progress of 230 jhp's , combined with similar POI to common 230 fmj is a strong factor. My testing of WWB 230JHP ( in a particular Jim Higgenbothem testing protocol for penetration AND expansion ) has me carrying generic 230 jhp with full confidence.

With the plethora of * more than plenty good * choices, selection can be made on basis of reliability, accuraccy, POI/POA < anaivability , and yes price.

Meanwhile , if you personal set of actual/ percieved parameters skews to Reduced penetration of Bad Guys and building materials on purpose at the low end of "normal" JHP's , while still having reasonably decent stopping power, the 185gr Silvertip is still the standout choice. For that matter, if the parameters call for less recoil ( aka better controlability ) than standard 230gr loads, the std vel 185gr jhp as a class are the choice.

Wow! That sir is some pretty impressive empirical type data of the style that will probably make some folks very happy.......

tinman

Buckeye
larro123 said:
I carry Hornady Critical Duty +P 220 gr flex lock
The box is a well-designed, shiny silver with red and black letters. I love it!
It shoots well in my pistol and it makes me happy :)

And pretty packages please us also.......... 8)

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
This is the kinda thread that makes me proud to be an American gun forum member, may threads like this one live on forever. The tears in my eyes are almost those of happiness, well almost.

tinman

Buckeye
Pat-inCO said:
wayned said:
Well that sucks, my Golden Sabers didn't come in a plastic box.
What an opportunity!

:D You to can go to Dillon and get some blue boxes. :roll: . :D

THEN we could all have blue ammo boxes. 8)

Blue is ok...but I think green boxes make the bullets go faster........... :roll: