Aluminum grip frame sanding?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boots41

Bearcat
I have a couple of 41 mag Blackhawks with the aluminum grip frames and I'm thinking of sanding them down to the bare metal and polishing them. Have any of you guys done this? The black finish on them is flaking off and looks like hell. My concern is if the bare aluminum will oxidize over time. Should I apply any type of finish such as clearcoat or wax? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

flatgate

Hawkeye
The bare aluminum should be fine. It's "soft" so will scratch easily... but, so did the anodizing that was there. :D

Welcome to Ruger Forum!

flatgate

PS I like the better balance of those aluminum grip framed Blackhawks after they get fitted with steel, or, even stainless steel, grip frames. :D JMHO

caryc

Hawkeye
Three of my fast draw guns have bare alum grip frames. I don't do anything but polish them up every once in a while with Simichrome.

I would not use sandpaper to remove the finish on them. You'll just make more work for yourself that way. There are ways to remove the finish but I can't remember them right now. I'm sure someone will chime in with that info.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Most use oven cleaner, it saves a lot of sanding and then removing sanding marks! If you polish the aluminum to a high shine, it has a much reduced ability to tarnish because there aren't any minute surface inconsistencies for oxidation to take hold. Also true for metal.

A polished out Ruger 'Lightweight" with alloy frame after a year's use:
orig.jpg

Boots41

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies gents. I think I will give the oven cleaner a try and then polish the frame. Cary, I used to use that semichrome polish on motorcycle rims and it worked great. I will have to try to locate some or give that Renaissance wax a try. I have some JB bore paste. Do you think that would work well for the initial polish? Thanks again.

save the JB for the bore, what was said above works just fine, it is a "
labor of love" time consuming, and yes, quite a bit of 'effort' to gitter done "properly" and you'll like the results, I think it looks "pleasing" and it is quite "functional"..........

CraigC

Hawkeye
Easy Off oven cleaner removes anodizing like it was made for the task. If you have a later teflon coated frame, you need to use a commercial grade aircraft stripper. Use gloves and work in a well ventilated area either way.

This original XR3 was bead blasted 12yrs ago by Jim Stroh and has not changed color much, if any. It has no protective coating.
IMG_7120e.jpg