Aluminum cased ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jav

Single-Sixer
I was looking at cci website , you don't save much any more ? 357 for example, about 2 dollars a box ..........with brass you get a reloadable case, so what I see is aluminum these days is a last resort .
Plus at the range you can't leave it in the brass pile no advantage

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I was looking at cci website , you don't save much any more ? 357 for example, about 2 dollars a box ..........with brass you get a reloadable case, so what I see is aluminum these days is a last resort .
I get a case of 115 grn fmj at a time from Bereli for $240 shipped. They've sold at that price for over a year.
I have thousands & thousand of 9mm brass & no longer save it so the aluminum fits my bill.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
That's pretty gutsy, but it's good to have first hand knowledge that it shouldn't be reloaded. Thanks for being the guinea pig on that. :)

hike

Bearcat
Is it unreliable?
Any firearm may be particular to certain brands, weights, etc. and cough/fail on others.
I have never had any issue with aluminum case ammo in 9mm in any pistol that I've shot it in (haven't used any other caliber).
All that I have seen were target ammo. I would not hesitate to shoot or use it but I've never bought aluminum cased ammo in bulk. I would not use it for SD on purpose.
For new types and brands, I usually buy a box and see how it performs before buying several box or in bulk. Testing is a good thing to do, IMHO. I have purchased ammo in bulk and found that one of my pistols didn't like while the others did. I just don't shoot it in that pistol.
HTH & Have Fun!

daka

Bearcat
Aluminum 9 mm has been very reliable for me...I use it only for range/practice.
I like that it is lightweight..makes carrying 200 rounds much easier...
I have a stash of brass 9 that I keep for long term storage...

jbenedetto2

Single-Sixer
Just think, after 20 or 25 boxes you have enough to buy another box. 👍🇺🇲

jbenedetto2

Single-Sixer
4 to 5 thousand rounds through my Sig 365, Glock 19, Ruger SR9c & Walther PPS.M2.
The only hiccup was with the Walther. It just didn't care for aluminum. I'm thinking it has tighter tolerance and the aluminum case expanded too quickly.