Aftermarket old model brass frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
I came across two old models that are paired up nicely in appearance but I am at a loss on the aftermarket grips frames. Here are a couple of pictures of them without the grip panels. One gun has some provenance that John Linbaugh did some work on it but no mention of the grip frames so unknown if there is another receipt that was lost for the grip frame or someone else did the work. The owner of the guns is no longer with us and the widow didn't have any information. Both appear to be XR3-RED in size and shape.

#1 - has a prominent 3 stamped in one side. This is the unit associated with Linbaugh.

IMG_6864.JPG

IMG_6865.JPG

#2 - I couldn't find any markings.

IMG_6866.JPG

IMG_6867.JPG

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I know Qualite used to offer aftermarket brass grip frames that were kinda popular for those seeking a brass g/f. Not sure if those are Qualite's or not,, but I think that are actually XR3-RED shaped. XR3's are totally straight along the backstrap. Those appear to have the slight "flair" at the bottom of the RED ones.

twriggen

Single-Sixer
Thanks Tyrone, I agree, they are XR3-RED in design. Got to typing too fast and then didn't proofread. I corrected it.

there was another company I believe it was something like 'Carravel"??(sic) made brass frames years ago, before the new models came out in 1973...they too found out casting brass for guns and having to polish them was a "beech".....let alone the problems with brass getting anywhere near your bluing tanks and equipment ,ala buffing wheels,,,,,learned that ,many , many years ago:cool::rolleyes:;)

wish I had a PENNY for every brass frame that Ruger 'scrapped' back in the day, can you say "porosity" ( sic):unsure:;)

G2

Hunter
Both of your frames are Qualite/ MK (Milt & Karen Morrison)

Top frame Gen 1, Bottom frame Gen 2 with the only real difference is the added metal so that it could be cut to Birdshead configuration if one so desired.

Here is a picture showing the Gen 2/1 (left/right) & Cut line if you wanted a Birdshead. I put the line there using a Ruger Birdshead panel. The reason I call a Birdshead nothing but a Round Butted XR3-RED.
One can take a set of XR3-RED set of grips and mount them up just fine to a Birdshead, then build & add the little missing filler piece and wala you have a "PLOW".
53104059667_390e91b347_c.jpg

The interesting thing about your bottom frame is its a NEW MODEL frame that have been adapted to facilitate the OM trigger, a common modification used on New Model Frames to use them on OM guns.

Pull your frame off and you will see the bolt spring/plunger hole needed for the NM, they also have the NM trigger spring hole drilled for the retaining pin of the new model trigger spring in the frame. One method used utilizes this retains pin.

I'm curious and would like to see a picture of the way the OM trigger spring/plunger was adapted. There is a "block" method that is used quite often and then there is a spent .22 brass case that is mounted a number of ways w/ JB weld being used the most common.

As for the "3" on the 44 mag gun. "Somebody" was keeping track,,, of what ,,,, no idea. Insignificant IMO.

Last edited:
Qualite also made some arrangement with John Linebaugh to cast a small number of brass bisley grip frames from John's bisley mold. I acquired three of them and sold one, had John Gallagher install one on a custom 44 Special and I sent one back to John Linebaugh along with one of his early 475 bisleys and asked him to install it when he did some other work. John did not like how the holes were drilled so he traded me for one of his brass bisley framed and gif it to the gun and made the new grips,

Qualite, Caravelle and a company S&G all made brass aftermarket grip frames for Rugers.

G2

Hunter
Power Custom Brass Frame, This one is for a NM, they are/were 2 piece, and the exact size of a XR3/ Colt.
53189755059_611254548d_b.jpg

Very nice part and the CNC machining to create more of a profiled 3-D frame.
53189495247_ae97511582_b.jpg

No longer manufactured by Power Custom.
This particular frame was going to be used on a NM Birdshead build that went a different direction, thus the pictured "cut" line.
Being a 2 piece frame the plan was to build a one piece grip panels (Ivory) like the old Colts, No grip screw.