Help Support Ruger Forum:

What they want you to buy. :) :)

1702505772295.png

1702505674829.png

1702505859906.png

1702506044851.png

irishjack

Bearcat
Are you sure that ad is from 1951? It lists a Blackhawk in 44 Magnum. That caliber wasn't introduced until late 1955 when Smith and Wesson introduced the Model 29 and Remington made the ammo for it. Gun writer Elmer Keith got the first one since the concept was largely his idea.

contender

Ruger Guru
I believe irishjack is discussing the ad that Paladin showed as a 1951.

Both of y'all are a little off.

The Bearcat was introduced in 1958,, so that ad,, (without me going to look it up,) would be from at least 1958,, and it may well be a 1959 one.

But that's a small detail. It's still a neat old ad!

I always thought the early ones with the various "critters" in them were the best ones.

I believe irishjack is discussing the ad that Paladin showed as a 1951.

Both of y'all are a little off.

The Bearcat was introduced in 1958,, so that ad,, (without me going to look it up,) would be from at least 1958,, and it may well be a 1959 one.

But that's a small detail. It's still a neat old ad!

I always thought the early ones with the various "critters" in them were the best ones.
Hey Tyrone I know you are a critter eradicator supreme but what do you use to catch a Bearcat?

.....and a FULL wallet........:cool::rolleyes:;)

,,,,,,,and yes the magazines had to have a "lead time" for printing, and some ads are for "whats coming" and /or whats "now available"........LOTS of good old ads out there, gotta find folks to buy the stuff, I take this to any gun show and MOST do not even look at them...we used to take them and get them framed in the old days, you cannnot even get back what the framing would cost these days...........:unsure:

Paladin

Bearcat
Are you sure that ad is from 1951? It lists a Blackhawk in 44 Magnum. That caliber wasn't introduced until late 1955 when Smith and Wesson introduced the Model 29 and Remington made the ammo for it. Gun writer Elmer Keith got the first one since the concept was largely his idea.
The year of that ad should have read 1961, not 1951. That was a typo which I have since corrected. Good catch!

contender

Ruger Guru
Good one Paladin. I knew it was older than 1951,, or even 1958, but never bothered to look it up.

Ok, the inquiring minds have made comments about trapping a Bearcat,, and what it entails. Here ya go;

First,, you have to use a trap. The type of trap is a bit different than for many critters. I've seen them in gun shows, gun shops, pawn shops, estate sales, internet ads, and even little old widow women's homes. They are there,,, because someone has a Bearcat that they can't live with anymore,, and they set a trap for those poor souls who have an affliction called "Rugeritis!" Often,, they slip into such places,, kinda quietly,, and appear nonchalant.
The next little attractant,, but one as powerful as the scent of a skunk,, is a little tag that has a number on it,, preceded by a funny symbol,, (this $ ) I equate it to how a trapper places a bird feather hanging over a trap swinging in the breeze to garner attention from far & wide.
When an afflicted Rugerite sees the little tag,, they get a focused upon that,, and they are almost in the trap,, as they approach it. They get the little tag in their hands,, and the trap is about to fire. They see that little symbol, and the following numbers,, and bingo,, they are snared! The reaction of seeing the tag,, causes them to reach for their wallet,, whip it out,, withdrawing these funny little pieces of paper,, with pictures of dead presidents upon them, with the matching little sign,, to mate up with the numbers on that tag.
And the Bearcat has caught another Rugerite. Or,, as we like to relate,, we have caught a Bearcat to take to our homes & enjoy.

For anyone still reading this thread, I will have---12---twelve---3 ring binders full of Ruger advertising and articles of interest. 90% is Ruger but I do have others. This collecting started during the covid winter when I lucked into a bunch of old magazines, then spiraled out of control until I had bought 1200 sheet protectors. I plan to have these on my sale table at the January show in Nampa Idaho. If youu can make it please come by and take your time flipping through 1000+ pages. If you have wants/needs for anything, please don't PM and ask until after the January 6-7 show. I am selling these much cheaper than you will find them in other places, but since this is not the classified, and I don't have time to deal with it for the next 3 week, please wait to contact me. If I could figure out how to put them in the classified without tons of questions and not posting photos of each, I would post them. Sometime after the show I will post a few at a time but will need to figure out shipping cost first.

hittman

Staff member
Hobby Lobby has a great frame department here if you don't wanna do it yourself.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Wow that was a real treat seeing those vintage ads and prices. Thanks to all for posting.