A Ruger No.1 that would sell a lot....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ohiosam

Bearcat
I'd like to see some No.1s with 26" B barrels and AH forends, no sights. Also a .22lr A or RSI, a .22 hornet RSI, AND a .17 Rem V.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
chilidog said:
Don't know if it would sell enough but would like to see some of the older ones like 50-110 or 348 or???

I'd definitely plunk down for a .348 :lol:

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
I don't know how many would sell, but some states, like Iowa, are now allowing straight-wall cartridges for deer instead of shotgun only.

In Iowa, .375 Win is allowed. This would be great in a 26" barreled #1, especially with handloads using pointy bullets.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
mrbumps said:
WebleyMan said:
Though I think they did make a small run in 9.3 x 74R a couple years back that sold out quickly. But that ammo is still loaded commercially, I believe. I should have bought one.

There are plenty of those still floating around if you really want one. CDNN has them for $900

https://www.cdnnsports.com/1s-9-3x74r-22-bl-1-4rib-sgt.html?___SID=U#.Wbe3iblvSpo

I had no idea.
Wonder how unpleasant the recoil would be on that bad boy? Worse than the .45-70?
Bet it would put the deer down pretty quick.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Perhaps Ruger should have a "Custom Shop" where they could build the ONE gun with the wood, barrel and any SAAMI caliber you each want. You will need a fat wallet though.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
GAO LLC said:
Perhaps Ruger should have a "Custom Shop" where they could build the ONE gun with the wood, barrel and any SAAMI caliber you each want. You will need a fat wallet though.

Ruger Custom Shop nice idea, but it will never happen, too expensive for buyer, not much margin for Ruger. Think Lipseys is our best hope for unusual #1 offerings. I hope for more K1s, still want a K1S walnut, not particular in chambering, 30-30 or 35 rem or 358 Win would be most welcomed.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Coyote Hunter said:
I don't know how many would sell, but some states, like Iowa, are now allowing straight-wall cartridges for deer instead of shotgun only.

In Iowa, .375 Win is allowed. This would be great in a 26" barreled #1, especially with handloads using pointy bullets.
That was the driver behind the 450 Bushmaster Ruger is chambering the Gunsite Scout and American Ranch Rifle in. Several formerly "shotgun only" states now allow straight wall cartridges for big game.

grobin

Blackhawk
If the generalities mooted the 45-70 would be more likely a success. While there are reproduction lever actions available they are-IMHO-over priced and appeal to the cowboy action crowd. Single actions like the CVA are thinner ground and with the merger the company seems time more blacklisted orientec. A quality mainstream (or relatively so) rifle would have a market.

Rationale: great starter cartridge for younger shooters and women as well as older guys (especially if the can't handle recoil anymore). Can keep size and weight down and even use for varmints as well as deer. It's been around a long time proven itself. I think the 30-30 is great, but most factory offerings are limited due to lever rifles (great if you load your own, though). The 243 doesn't suffer from those issues. There are better cartridges, sure, but just sticking with the OP's rule for which would sell the most.

RSIno1

Hunter
picketpin said:
I'm unaware of any factory stainless/laminates that left the factory as a Red Pad The Red Pad was discontinued in the mid 1990s. Stainless/laminate debuted in 2001. (talking #1s here)

Ross
Yep would have to be a black pad (red wouldn't look right anyway). It's match my RSI. A couple of mine have the Pachmayer pad so I've started looking for those.

41-44-45-48 said:
.243 was a 2016 offering in the 1V configuration. They're probably still available.

Roger that! I thought the OP's premise was just one cartridge regardless of past or current offerings that might get the most sales. The No.1 has been offered in a lot of cartridges over the decades.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I had two. Sold the 7 mm rem mag after installing a Moyers trigger, limbsaver butt pad and a 4x12 Leupold. I sent the other and had it rechambered to 30 06 ai. Had the trigger worked on, put a limbsaver on it and a Leupold 6x. Both are #1B' s. So, as we are a group that likes #1's, my vote would be for the 30-06 ai. The bad thing is that I don't hunt anymore and the #1 is just sitting.....

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Do not know what would sell lots, made my wishes know to the big guys, wait to see what they produce

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
Going to throw this in the mix,....what do you think would NOT SELL? This idea came up when the thought of a 30 Carbine round came up! Don't know too many that would buy that...
REMEMBER, this is not necessarily what YOU WANT, just the two extremes imagining YOU are the BEAN COUNTER at Ruger, and what 'run' you would order in a No.1.
My thinking, most selling - the 35 Rem, least selling, - the 30 Carbine.
Of course if you have 10,000 rounds of 30 Carbine in the basement, maybe you would!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
After 7 pages of this thread and dozens of flights of fancy and impractical wishes, it still must be realized that absolutely NO version of the #1 is EVER going to sell a lot. It's a very specialized rifle and it's appeal is limited to a small group of advocates and enthusiasts.