A mind is a terrible thing......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
Mike J said:
I could understand why someone might want to do some of the modifications he showed if they are competing in idpa or uspsa. I would not want to carry a gun that had been worked over like that. I have a neighbor that used to be a corrections officer. When he had that job he had a trigger job done on his Glock to help him double tap faster (there was a speed he had to be able to do it in to qualify). I shot it before & after the trigger job. I liked it before he had it done. After he had the trigger worked on I shot it again. The trigger afterwards I would estimate at about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. It was a lot of fun plinking at water bottles & cans but I would be scared to carry a defensive firearm with a trigger that light.

Most police qualification drills can be done with a revolver. No offense but your buddy just wanted a trigger job. Most COs I know don't even carry.

He is out of it now. I think they were encouraging them to carry to & from work because they had a uniformed corrections officer attacked when he was off duty & had stopped at a store going to or coming home from work.

He still had to qualify to carry in uniform though. The times we shot together he seemed obsessed with shooting fast. I usually always outshot him with a handgun but he always put rounds out there faster than me. He was a better rifle shot than me though.

modrifle3

Buckeye
You really can't fix stupid.[/quote]

This type of stuff isn't really needed and makes the forum unpleasant. Perhaps you could state your experience and background that makes you so arrogant in these matters.

5of7 only stated a possible solution that much like the feed ramp would be done only after closely examining the pistol.

Constructive approaches to something you feel is incorrect are much more effective than what you are doing. You come across more as a Troll at this point.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
This type of stuff isn't really needed and makes the forum unpleasant. Perhaps you could state your experience and background that makes you so arrogant in these matters.

5of7 only stated a possible solution that much like the feed ramp would be done only after closely examining the pistol.

Constructive approaches to something you feel is incorrect are much more effective than what you are doing. You come across more as a Troll at this point.

I'm sorry sir but I started this thread. I did it after touring the internet once again and finding it lacking but humorous and to not keep pushing a point on somebody else's thread. The "Wise Old Sage" bit is getting tiresome to me when it is based on nothing. 5-7 chose to walk into it, that was his call.

I don't expect anyone to keep tabs on things but there are many subjects on this forum I stay mostly out of because I don't have a solid view or experience with it. For example, I owned a P series gun for many years and shot the daylights out of it but mostly stay out of those threads as I no longer have it and only work from some memories and other peoples "P" pistols that I have handled more recently. I don't cast my own bullets for reloading but use them in my reloads so when it comes to actually casting of bullets I mostly just sit back for the ride

...but I reload a lot, more than most reloaders do. I shoot a lot, much more than most gun owners do. I own a ton of pistols and other firearms and a very varied group it is. I have built or repaired hundreds of guns some down to a complete rebuild involving machining, refinishing, cutting sight grooves, just about anything you could think of that could be done to a gun.
None of those things make me an expert by any stretch but if you spent five minutes on the range or in a gun store with me you would know that I do have fair amount of acquired knowledge on the subject of guns.

You would also find out that I'm also a pretty nice guy and that I like to have fun in this hobby but I don't suffer fools nor the foolish things done to "make a gun better". I'm one of those guys that go to a gunshop and peruse the used guns on display in depth and many times just come away disgusted at the things that previous owners have done to these once fine things.

There are things I find funny or weird or just dumb or even wonderful that some others may not see the same as me but that doesn't make me wrong, it just means I have a different point of view.
I don't go out of my way to get into an argument but when the answer to a question is not specific and is a very general "I polish it", I find that lacking in knowledge or helpfulness, you may not find issue with it, I do.

modrifle3

Buckeye
You kinda missed the point. The view is you posted the comment as a direct insult to 5of7.

I appreciate comments on bad information. Much like you give feedback, I am trying to give you feedback on your advice.

Take it as you will but you appear to have a great deal of knowledge and are a benefit to the forum, but only if your advice is constructive.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
You kinda missed the point. The view is you posted the comment as a direct insult to 5of7.

I appreciate comments on bad information. Much like you give feedback, I am trying to give you feedback on your advice.

Take it as you will but you appear to have a great deal of knowledge and are a benefit to the forum, but only if your advice is constructive.

Point taken but the first post was an intersection to dumb stuff found on the internet and not directed at him as it was truly an intersection. His moniker was not mentioned, what followed afterwards is what it is.

I find you posts thoughtful and I agree with you on many matters but you also have suffered the slings and arrows from your opinions and findings as I have.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Cheesewhiz said:
modrifle3 said:

Point taken but the first post was an intersection to dumb stuff found on the internet and not directed at him as it was truly an intersection. His moniker was not mentioned, what followed afterwards is what it is.

I find you posts thoughtful and I agree with you on many matters but you also have suffered the slings and arrows from your opinions and findings as I have.

Point taken ... Some people can't take constructive criticism at ALL. Most of us have dealt with those guys and frankly they will never change. I admit some of these YouTube guys are comical at best.

5of7

Hunter
Cheesewhiz said:
9mm Reload Data

Hornady XTP 110gr .357" diameter

AA#5 7gr.

OAL 1.040"

If it looks familiar, it's because it's your posted reload data in another thread from a day or two ago. The "data" breaks at least 3 different handloading tenants.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=207880&start=15

#1 You are using a bullet not designed for use in the 9mm cartridge. It is .001" in diameter over any reloading data I have ever seen in a manual. Most reloading manuals even goes as far as to state that you should never use a bullet over .356" in diameter, period. It is considered dangerous or they would not put it in the manual.

Did you know that the actual groove diameter of the gun that I used that load in is .357, and not .355?

#2 That powder weight is .2gr higher than the highest new max load data I have found for 9mm using a 100gr bullet and that powder (Hornady #8).The Accurate Data has a listed max for that powder using any 115gr bullet as 6.3 gr and for a Barnes 115 gr HP bullet similar to a XTP it is a max of 5.5gr of #5. You are using an oversized 110gr bullet so I would lean to the 115gr data for this nightmare.

An experienced handloader can very often exceed the loads listed in reloading manuals because the manuals are written for all of the guns out there that are chambered for the cartridge in question.

A far better indicator of pressure is the condition of the brass and the velocity achieved with the load, given the powder being of an appropriate burning rate. In this case, the powder is appropriate and the velocity was such as to indicate that it was still under standard performance levels for the 9MM annnnnd, the brass shown no signs of pressure at all.

#3 You have an OAL of 1.040" on your "data" and that is ridiculously short for an XTP bullet, the minimum length listed is 1.070" or so, a length that is .030" under the minimum is a recipe for disaster.

The 110 Hornady XTP is short enough that it is necessary to seat it to a shorter OAL in order that it remain seated straight during the trip from the magazine to the chamber. Again, being that I am a more experienced handloader that you are, I can do things that you are too frightened to do. Keep in mind that most of the hi-power pistol loads were developed by people who were smart enough to know the difference between "loading beyond the book" as it were, and blowing up a gun. I have been handloading ammunition for 61 years and have yet to damage a gun in any way, shape, or form. Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it...sonny.
You my friend are a hack, a slob when it comes to anything concerning guns and I find it sad that you just throw crap out there for all to see. If you want to destroy your guns fine, go for it just let us know what range you go to so we can stay far away but you posting a dangerous and pathetic loading recipe on this forum is truly a terrible thing to do. You disgust me.

Well, :lol: :lol: since you want to get personal, you are nothing more than another Chicago blow hard who is so very enamored with himself that anyone who demonstrates superior knowledge makes you feel inferior.....which, of course, is precisely what you are.... 8)

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I won't quote your post damning me as that will make this thread that I started even more convoluted than it is already. I'm beginning to think that you really don't reload at all, at least 9mm.
9mm is one of the most highly pressured rounds out there and playing with diameters, lengths and powder weights is really a good way to get hurt.
I really think it was a major disservice for you to post such an out of spec load and you should be damned for that.
I suggest you take your load data to the reloading portion of this forum and ask for them to look at it and judge as a panel. You can even use my comments as long as they are not abridged. If they are, I will come down on you like a ton of bricks. I also would suggest that you try and post your load data on Brian Enos' reloading forum but it would be shut down quickly as being dangerous but I bet the comments would be funny as hell before that happened.
You truly are a hack and even more stupid for arguing this absolute craptastic load data on this forum. I would laugh, as that was the original intention of this thread but your responses are just so ridiculous and pathetic as it makes me sad.
Several years ago I questioned a older "wise" guy's reloads at a range, they sounded way over powered for .357, he blew me off with crap like you spout and 2 minutes later I was stopping his forehead from bleeding at a high rate with my range towel. See, his gun's cylinder blew up real good. So much for long time reloading experts.

5of7

Hunter
Cheesewhiz said:
I won't quote your post damning me as that will make this thread that I started even more convoluted than it is already. I'm beginning to think that you really don't reload at all, at least 9mm.
9mm is one of the most highly pressured rounds out there and playing with diameters, lengths and powder weights is really a good way to get hurt.
I really think it was a major disservice for you to post such an out of spec load and you should be damned for that.
I suggest you take your load data to the reloading portion of this forum and ask for them to look at it and judge as a panel. You can even use my comments as long as they are not abridged. If they are, I will come down on you like a ton of bricks. I also would suggest that you try and post your load data on Brian Enos' reloading forum but it would be shut down quickly as being dangerous but I bet the comments would be funny as hell before that happened.
You truly are a hack and even more stupid for arguing this absolute craptastic load data on this forum. I would laugh, as that was the original intention of this thread but your responses are just so ridiculous and pathetic as it makes me sad.
Several years ago I questioned a older "wise" guy's reloads at a range, they sounded way over powered for .357, he blew me off with crap like you spout and 2 minutes later I was stopping his forehead from bleeding at a high rate with my range towel. See, his gun's cylinder blew up real good. So much for long time reloading experts.

It is now clear to me why Chicago is called "the windy city." :lol:

The load I posted was not a recommendation, it was a load I posted to show interested parties what I had to do to get my gun to perform at anything like 9MM ballistics.

If you were capable of doing your own thinking, these loading techniques would already be familiar to you, but alas, you do not appear to be capable of doing your own thinking, instead, having to rely on others to do it for you. It appears that, when confronted with someone who has the IQ to think for himself, it makes you uncomfortable, and your knee jerk reaction is to start shooting off your little round mouth about things that you really know nothing about.

"Come down on you like a ton of bricks?" What are you going to do? Come to Mendon? Beat me up? Give us a break sonny, tell it to your Momma.

Chicago....birthplace of some of the biggest blow-hards the world has ever had to endure. 8)

modrifle3

Buckeye
I think it's time for the mods to lock this thread. Nothing good coming out of it at this point.

5of7

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
I think it's time for the mods to lock this thread. Nothing good coming out of it at this point.

I agree. Nothing good has occurred thus far. I don't know why this guy attacked me in the first place, but when I am attacked, I can't help myself but to respond in kind.... :(

modrifle3

Buckeye
5of7 said:
modrifle3 said:

I agree. Nothing good has occurred thus far. I don't know why this guy attacked me in the first place, but when I am attacked, I can't help myself but to respond in kind.... :(

No blame here, just hate to see like minded people fight. :)

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DixieBoy said:
Just stopped by this thread and took a look at the link Cheesewhiz posted in his OP. Had not yet done that.

As the kids say: "Oh My God!"

I think Cheese was being kind, noting that the dude in the video appeared humorous.

That fool in that video is the worst kind of idiot, the kind of idiot who should have nothing to do with talking
with others (especially novices) about guns. I'll be blunt. The man presents himself as a buffoon. When he
managed to take a break from picking wax out of his ears, listening to him was almost painful. I pray that no
one, and I mean no one, has ever taken a word of what that fool had to say seriously.

This is indeed one of the pitfalls of the internet. Any twit with access to a video camera can post his own
videos, no matter how foolish or how dangerous the information he posts may be. I can only hope that most
people could judge for themselves what a moron this fellow is, and steer clear of him.

I've always been noted as having a great sense of humor. But I didn't find this guy funny in the least.
I found him to be ignorant as dirt, and just a God-awful "representative" for anything gun related. Truly, an
embarrassment to the rest of us. I cringe when people like that fool attempt to speak about guns. - DixieBoy

In the first post my intention was for others to find their "whackjob of the day" contender and post a Youtube link, so we could get a good laugh.

I completely agree with you that this guy is just an absolute and complete moron with a camera pointed at him but I thought him to be so stupid that no one could come to his defense. I guess I was wrong on that point.

The humor in it for me is just when I think I've found the dumbest ace in the hole on the internet or even in the real world, it takes about two minutes for that to be topped.

Dixie, thanks for watching at least and my first thought almost always on these things is "OMG". :)

modrifle3

Buckeye
DixieBoy said:
Just stopped by this thread and took a look at the link Cheesewhiz posted in his OP. Had not yet done that.

As the kids say: "Oh My God!"

I think Cheese was being kind, noting that the dude in the video appeared humorous.

That fool in that video is the worst kind of idiot, the kind of idiot who should have nothing to do with talking
with others (especially novices) about guns. I'll be blunt. The man presents himself as a buffoon. When he
managed to take a break from picking wax out of his ears, listening to him was almost painful. I pray that no
one, and I mean no one, has ever taken a word of what that fool had to say seriously.

This is indeed one of the pitfalls of the internet. Any twit with access to a video camera can post his own
videos, no matter how foolish or how dangerous the information he posts may be. I can only hope that most
people could judge for themselves what a moron this fellow is, and steer clear of him.

I've always been noted as having a great sense of humor. But I didn't find this guy funny in the least.
I found him to be ignorant as dirt, and just a God-awful "representative" for anything gun related. Truly, an
embarrassment to the rest of us. I cringe when people like that fool attempt to speak about guns. - DixieBoy

It's hard for me to take anything on YouTube with out a grain of salt.

modrifle3

Buckeye
So I took the time to watch the video finally. This guy shows some training and drills in the beginning. Just because he has an accent doesn't make him a baffoon. Or is it perhaps he's not white.

Don't know what level of tactical training you guys have but I am banking on any type of speed drills or three gun this guy will beat you.

As far as Glock mods he states he carried his 26 stock and that certain mods are for comp only as well as warning against letting others who are not qualified work on a gun. Seems like good advice. Granted I only watched the link but not clear why this guy is an "idiot".

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
Don't know what level of tactical training you guys have but I am banking on any type of speed drills or three gun this guy will beat you.

Are you kidding me? You see a video of a guy shooting at targets no farther than 20' away and he could beat me in some tactical combat simulation. You have a very low and very wrong opinion of some on this forum.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I have yet to see either of you two do anything but slam others. Close combat tactical training is very real. I don't know this guy, but I have no reason to look at him the way you two do. Post your own accomplishments and give someone a reason to feel you have a right to criticize. All I am saying is back it up.

I don't follow this guy or have any intention of letting him train me.

His glock mods are common and done by many. Name one mod he spoke of that is incorrect?

You don't like it, great, but when you simply insult without backing it, it's an empty arguement.

As I have stated before this forum is not about arguements and insults. Keep your post positive and exchange knowledge. State why you disagree, don't just simply throw around insults.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DixieBoy said:
Cheesewhiz said:
modrifle3 said:

Are you kidding me? You see a video of a guy shooting at targets no farther than 20' away and he could beat me in some tactical combat simulation. You have a very low and very wrong opinion of some on this forum.

Just goes to show we need not travel too far, or seek out youtube videos to find ... density. :lol: They're everywhere! - DixieBoy

The funny thing is Youtube has been a boon to the gun industry at the same time that these yeahoos keep posting their crud. Hickok45 is an excellent rep and even a long distance mentor to some. Colion Noir is a good guy for the NRA to tap for some online shows. I subscribe to GunBlast and Tn9Outdoors video channels. They all do a great job and I'm happy when they post something new. Wheat from the chaff, I guess.

modrifle3

Buckeye
And I agree there are many good and many realllllyyyyyy bad videos out there.

I take your comments with validity and although we don't always agree, we have mutual respect for each other.