A learning process- 1960 Single Six cylinder latch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently purchased a beautiful 1960 Single Six. The only concern I noticed was that instead of the nice click-click-click-click on cocking, I was getting an uneven click-clickclick-click. The cylinder latch seemed to be lifting too soon. An inspection of parts revealed nothing- or so I thought. So, after perusing Kuhnhausen, I ordered a new hammer plunger and a new cylinder latch ( actually 2 of each in case).

Comparing the new cylinder latch with the old told the story. The old one was very rough, and had a filed spot where the hammer plunger rides. The new one was smooth, a bit longer at the plunger contact point, and a bit wider.

IMG_7659.jpeg
IMG_7658.jpeg
IMG_7657.jpeg

I swapped the cylinder latch for the new one and reassembled. The latch now falls into the lead when it should. Lockup is a bit tighter too. Timing looks spot on. Success!

I have done plenty of work on New Models- but this is my first job on an Old Model. I really appreciate the workings of the Old Models over the New.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Randy, I think you did the smart thing first.... change the cyl. latch vs. playing with the plunger in the hammer.
And....YES... I find old model internals/mechanics to be immensely simple compared to the new model NIGHTMARES... The lawyers created too many parts for us 'mechanics'.... Bless their hearts
NICE WORK
J.

Randy, I think you did the smart thing first.... change the cyl. latch vs. playing with the plunger in the hammer.
And....YES... I find old model internals/mechanics to be immensely simple compared to the new model NIGHTMARES... The lawyers created too many parts for us 'mechanics'.... Bless their hearts
NICE WORK
J.
I was prepared to change both the plunger and the latch. But the plunger looked pretty good overall, just a slight amount wear at the contact point. However- one look at the latch and the angle cut into it- I decided to start there. Glad it worked.

Actually I'm equally surprised at how bad the original part looked, and how clean the new part was. The new part in the pics is the other one I ordered- it has a slight ding at the break over angle that I'll have to stone out.

Latest posts