Center fire Single Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
A friend of mine gave me an old disassembled, and not complete, flat gate era Single Six that I had planned on converting to a centerfire 327 Federal. I had pulled it out tonight with the plan of leaving it on my desk as a daily reminder that I needed to start working on finding someone to complete the conversion. I was fondling it today and got to looking at the firing pin. It looks like it has already been converted to a center fire pin. I pulled out one of my original flat gates and the firing pin is at the top of the circular plug area instead of in the center like this one. Thoughts?

Also, any recommendations on a gun smith to do the conversion?

Thanks,
Troy

1711069179164.png

Bruce51

Bearcat
Another project gun. I wish you some success in your endeavor.

When Ruger made the 327 Fed they had to shorten the barrel shank and open up the rear of the frame for the longer cylinder. The FP bushing is also shorter. With your conversion you might consider the .32 H&R magnum to fit the existing frame and cylinder. BTW the circle around the recoil shield from a .22 case indicates that the FP is for a rimfire.
Bruce 51

twriggen

Single-Sixer
When Ruger made the 327 Fed they had to shorten the barrel shank and open up the rear of the frame for the longer cylinder. The FP bushing is also shorter. With your conversion you might consider the .32 H&R magnum to fit the existing frame and cylinder. BTW the circle around the recoil shield from a .22 case indicates that the FP is for a rimfire.
Bruce 51

I had planned on the 32 H&R as a backup if the 327 was out of the question. I pulled out another flattop that hadn't been shot as much as the first one and could see the firing pin centered in the plug. The first one I looked at had been shot a lot and the circle on the recoil shield was much more pronounced that it gave the impression that it was the outline of the plug and not the imprint of the case.

Thanks for the information.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd measure the distance from the top inside of the frame to the top of the firing pin in a normal Single-Six,, and then measure your project gun. That may well help you determine if it's already been "converted" to centerfire.

No help on a gunsmith. Apparently the older good ones have just about quit or aren't doing much anymore. And the newer ones are so covered up,,, there's either a very long wait, or they aren't taking new work.

Latest posts