The process of adding a RW grip frame to a Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I mentioned that I just received a RW grip frame & a set of the 2-dogs/RW rear sights. I wanted to show as best I can, pictures & a description of the process. But to start with,, a few pictures of the differences in the RW grip frame & a Ruger factory g/f.

I chose the "Bradshaw" Bisley type of g/f because I was going to put it under my Ruger .357 Maximum shooter. Since David was very instrumental in helping develop the .357 Maxi,, I felt it was only proper to add his grip design the the gun. Here are some pictures of the small but differences in the shape of the Bradshaw vs the Ruger. The Ruger g/f is the stainless one, while the RW Bradshaw one is brass. The first picture is at an angle,, showing the difference in the backstrap shape & dimension. Due to the angle,, the trigger guards appear different, but are not.

This picture shows the top of the backstrap area which is noticeable. This will allow for proper fitting & contour mating. This also points to the different angle and the different recess cut behind the trigger guard.

This is a picture of the Maxi I'm going to put the g/f under.

And for now,, this picture shows the front sight,, by 2 dogs,, (Fermin Garza.)

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm gonna take my time working this grip frame to the gun. But I wanted to take y'all through the steps of the process.

I know a guy who tinkers with grip making. He's made several sets of grips for me. He's gonna start with (2) sets of walnut slabs. One set is thinner than the other,, to see which ones feel the best.
He's known around here as "contender."

:D :D

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
For the simple "nuts and bolts" aspect of fitting a gripframe.
A dirt simple jig for holding it down so you can work two handed on it without just clamping it in a vice. Not rocket science, pretty self explanatory and flips to either side.
Make it out of scrap wood in 5 minutes.
Rws grip jig.JPG

Jig.JPG

RW grip fit.JPG

jig 4.JPG

jig5.JPG

That gets ya going but you need a more complicated clamp for finish work and grip fitting.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm planning on keeping the gun all blue. In fact,, the changes are all something that could be reversed if necessary.
The front sight,, replaceable.
The rear blade,, swapped for the new one.
The grip frame,, another easy swap around, (once fitted.) And the grips,, well, due to the nature of them being for the "Bradshaw Bisley" design,, they'll stay together.

Before I get into stuff,, I too the gun out today to shoot it and set a baseline group. Then,,, as I make a change,, I'll re-shoot it to see what if any changes in the performance happens.

I fit a Bradshaw Bisley to one of my Supers. After doing a few of the Ruger parts stainless frames, Ronnie's frames are a dream to work with. I have a block of marble from an old kitchen counter that I use- wet/dry sandpaper in varying grits smooth down the sides, and a Dremel with various drums and flapper sanding wheels contour the trigger guard and get a nice curve to the flat surfaces of the grip frame. You might want to get a set of sacrificial grip frame screws- they will be in and out 20 times or so. I actually use the torx head set out of a Wrangler. Makes it easy. And make sure to fully tighten them down when you check your progress.

Warning- you will find you like Ronnie's frames so much you will be ordering more. I've got the Bradshaw on a Super, Dealers on a .357 and Single Six, and I've got a BFG-L finger groove and a modified extended Super with a Bisley trigger guard on order.

Aren't those rear sights amazing? Once you use them you'll want them on all your shooters.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good stuff Randy.

However,, I actually have a set of specialty gunsmith screws just for assy/disassy of Rugers. They were offered here several years ago,, and are PRICELESS in doing the repeated disassy/assy necessary in such work.

I too have a block of Marble to work on.

As for the rear sight,, I decided to take the gun out,, as is prior to adding the rear sight, and shoot a "baseline" group. Tomorrow,, I hope to get the time to get the rear sight installed and take it out to shoot,, to see the "difference" in how it performs.
I'll post pictures of each target after that.

Then, the work on the g/f begins.

Good stuff Randy.

However,, I actually have a set of specialty gunsmith screws just for assy/disassy of Rugers. They were offered here several years ago,, and are PRICELESS in doing the repeated disassy/assy necessary in such work.

I too have a block of Marble to work on.

As for the rear sight,, I decided to take the gun out,, as is prior to adding the rear sight, and shoot a "baseline" group. Tomorrow,, I hope to get the time to get the rear sight installed and take it out to shoot,, to see the "difference" in how it performs.
I'll post pictures of each target after that.

Then, the work on the g/f begins.
Can you post a picture if these screws? I think I need a set…

G2

Hunter
These Screws were made here in Utah, the gentleman/ machinist that made & sold them for years, offered up the last of his inventory on this forum years ago. They are no more, from him and he has NO interest making any more.
1699023220209.jpeg
I modified my set just a tad, longer "round" shafts to avoid minor contact I was getting from the HEX shaft corners,
They sure are nice when fitting up a GF to a finished cylinder frame, lots of on & off to creep up on a final.
1699023523734.jpeg

1699023692694.jpeg

1699023384397.jpeg

1699023413789.jpeg

1699023445006.jpeg

I have hit Ronnie Wells up about making them, no doubt he has the skill, know how & equipment, but he has bigger fish to fry with the new Hammer/Trigger project mounts MANY OTHER projects.

Last edited:

aciera

Bearcat
I've played with Rugers with one of the best.

That would make them easier.

I would not make them like that.

But maybe he had a Swiss or a Davenport screw machine. If I did I would make them like he did.

Sooooooo………

I would drill and tap and put in a set screw.

MUCH stronger.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
I've got to make a set of those! I'll be going with the drilled and tapped version though. It'd be tough to cut 1-piece on the lathe.

tbobcar

Single-Sixer
These Screws were made here in Utah, the gentleman/ machinist that made & sold them for years, offered up the last of his inventory on this forum years ago. They are no more, from him and he has NO interest making any more.
View attachment 32541I modified my set just a tad, longer "round" shafts to avoid minor contact I was getting from the HEX shaft corners,
They sure are nice when fitting up a GF to a finished cylinder frame, lots of on & off to creep up on a final.
View attachment 32545
View attachment 32546

View attachment 32542
View attachment 32543
View attachment 32544
I have hit Ronnie Wells up about making them, no doubt he has the skill, know how & equipment, but he has bigger fish to fry with the new Hammer/Trigger project mounts MANY OTHER projects.
Might not be a problem to turn those thumb temp scews, any idea of the demand and going price. See if it is worth tooling up for. Any dwgs or goby parts?

Latest posts