.45+p in the Ruger P90

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
The issue is what do you want. Don't know if $1350 is a good price or not. I have not heard of any chamber issues with deltas using factory loads but all glocks are unsupported chambers. Same deal though, stick to factory loads and there is no issue.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
haymaker said:
You could have a Delta Elite, and you're even still thinking about a P90?

They don't even belong in the same thread.
What I've always heard about the Colt Delta Elites is that full power 10 mm ammo beats them to an early death.

pyth0n

Buckeye
haymaker said:
Let me ask this in a different way. Is the Ruger P90 built to handle the +P loads from Underwood, Double Tap, or Buffalo Bore? The other question is for 4 legged thick skinned hairy creatures is a fmj more affective than some type of hollow point. In wolf or cougar sized animals would a hollow point expand before adequate penetration? What about bullet weight?
The owners manual says " The Ruger P-series pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition loaded to U.S. Industry standards, including high velocity and hollow point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm x 19, .45 ACP or .40 S&W ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols."
SAMMI says, .45 ACP: 21,000 psi (std.), 23,000 psi (+P) = 9.5% increase in pressure.
So +P is okay to use.
I've used +P in mine, 185 & 230 gr, JHP. No problems. But for range work, most of the time it's just 230 ball ammo, so it doesn't get a steady diet of +P. May be one box of +P to 2 or three of std 230 ball.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
My first hand observation of 2 Delta Elite pistols owned by a fellow deputy when they came out was they will not handle heavy loads very well. He was a handloader and easily managed to crack both frames before he quit playing around. He shot the same loads in a Dept. issued 1006 Smith and Wesson with no problems that I know of. The Delta Elite is a nice gun but don't push it. A P-90 is one of my favorite guns for many reasons. Mas Ayoob has wrote a lot of articles on the P-90 about its strenghth, inherent accuracy etc. For practicality Im not sure the Delta Elite is in the same catagory. I love the 1911 but it is at its best with .38 super and .45. The design is not made for magnum loading. Putting 10mm in the 1911 is kind of like putting a blown 454 into a porche. Both automotive icons but not the right match. Just my crazy opinion.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
My friend decided he wanted to keep his Delta Elite. So as it was suggested I was considering a Glock 20 or 29 at half the cost but I'm finding that 10mm ammo is very hard to find. I don't want to depend completely on reloading. The 10mm ammo that I am finding is not much hotter than .40 s&w and a lot more money. I think I'll just stick with .45 or .357mag for my purposes. I would consider getting a Glock 30. I have the P 90 and 2 Colt 1911's so I don't need another full size .45's.

If any of you have a Glock 30 tell me what you like and don't like about it.

pyth0n

Buckeye
I wondered why the .45 super, .40 super and .400 Corbon didn't catch on. I seem to remember an after market barrel offered as a drop in conversion for the P90 in .400. Here's some items about it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=.45+super&oq=.45+super&aqs=chrome..69i57.13126j0j1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=400+corbon+barrel+for+ruger+p90