357 FT ser # 5413 question . . . photos added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I have one very close in serial number to yours. Mine has a 6 1/2" barrel. Everyone tells me that they did not come in that barrel length that early in production! But, a long time ago someone from Ruger told me that a few had been fitted with the 6 1/2" barrels. I attempted to get a factory letter but was advised that records were misplaced?!? I never persued it after that. Just checked and my S/N is 9444 so, not so close. I believe 4 5/8" is the barrel length and model # BKH4 for yours.

The only thing I see in RENE is the model designation was added in 1959 with the addition of new barrel lengths so I would think most likely a short barrel but what the heck do I know im no expert

Gramps

chet15

Hawkeye
Dantforth said:
I have one very close in serial number to yours. Mine has a 6 1/2" barrel. Everyone tells me that they did not come in that barrel length that early in production! But, a long time ago someone from Ruger told me that a few had been fitted with the 6 1/2" barrels. I attempted to get a factory letter but was advised that records were misplaced?!? I never persued it after that. Just checked and my S/N is 9444 so, not so close. I believe 4 5/8" is the barrel length and model # BKH4 for yours.

Does your early 6-1/2" have a 6-groove or 8-groove barrel? And what does the front sight look like? Wavy serrations on the front sight base and blade that are parallel to the barrel? Or does the front look sight look like a standard Blackhawk sight?
Chet15

contender

Ruger Guru
According to the RENE Guide,, #5413 would be a Type 1 Flattop. With a 4-5/8" barrel, and as noted , made in 1956. It would have a long-throw offset ejector rod housing, & a small serrated rod button. the base pin latch should be a capped type, the front sight should have wavy lines on the top. The barrel would be 4-5/8". The Micro rear sight should have a witness marked elevation screw. Black butaphane grips, with the skinny neck medallion. The trigger would also be a skinny one.

Yep. Bob's List would put 5413 right in the midst of a whole bunch of Type I's shipped in May of 1956.

A factory letter would be necessary to prove anything other than a 4-5/8" barrel.

What barrel does this one have?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dantforth said:

According to Bob's List 9444 was shipped in May of 1958 as a Type 2, BKH3, meaning it was originally a 4-5/8" gun . . . this per a factory letter. :mrgreen:

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Dantforth said:

According to Bob's List 9444 was shipped in May of 1958 as a Type 2, BKH3, meaning it was originally a 4-5/8" gun . . . this per a factory letter. :mrgreen:

That is probably the money answer by 99.9%. However, there are instances of earlier guns leaving the factory as something entirely different, but with the base number noted in the records, in this case "BKH3"... why? Because if the factory is working on a prototype of something and it gets shipped out, the employees still may only know of that gun as a BKH3.... because the new catalog numbers haven't been worked out yet... or even by that time that there was no thought of a the need for a different catalog number.
But in all likelihood it definitely left the factory as a 4-5/8" .357 flattop.
Still curious to hear what front sight that 6-1/2" barrel has on it as well as whether it has 6-groove or 8-groove rifling. Would immediately answer the question.
Chet15

To alleviate any confusion . . .

In this case (9444) the BKH3 notation was used as a description abbreviation on The List, not a direct quote from the reported letter. It's almost a certainty that the original record did not actually say "BKH3" nor "Type 2".

A letter I have for a similar gun (48XX) describes it as a "model Blackhawk .357 Magnum shipped in May of 1956." On the letters I have seen, this is the usual verbiage for the original guns when only one barrel length was available (including the .44s). :mrgreen:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Chet, front sight does not have wavy serrations and the barrel is eight grooves. I did inquire with Ruger again. They have such wonderful people working in their customer service. Here is the reply I received. Ruger are shut down until the end of January so I will hear more then. The more I dig the more it seems that this revolver was shipped with 4 5/8" barrel. Detective Dave
"I checked the records I have remotely and I found .357 Magnum Blackhawk revolver with serial number 9444 was produced and shipped in May of 1958 and it shipped to Western Scope in Canada. "
If anyone has S/N 9444 in 44 magnum.....I have info for you! David

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Bob's List shows the 6-1/2" barrels start to show up in mid-1959, at about serial number 22000. :)
When does Bob's list say the 8 grooved barrels begin to show up for the 6 1/2 in bl. guns? How about the 4 5/8 in. 8 grooved bls.? As you know the 6 grooved bls. was used first then in 1959 when the 6 1/2 in bl. guns started to show up they were 6 grooved also. Soon after the 8 grooved bl. guns started to show up. When was this recorded by Bob?

The 6-1/2" guns with 8 grooves began showing up in 1960 around serial number 27000, with the 4-5/8" ones later that year around serial number 30000, and the 10" shortly thereafter. The List doesn't show entry dates, everything is just listed in order of serial number with the ship dates noted if known.

Interestingly enough, they come in bunches of similar barrel length. I assume this reveals they were made that way, in runs.

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
The 6-1/2" guns with 8 grooves began showing up in 1960 around serial number 27000, with the 4-5/8" ones later that year around serial number 30000, and the 10" shortly thereafter. The List doesn't show entry dates, everything is just listed in order of serial number with the ship dates noted if known.

Interestingly enough, they come in bunches of similar barrel length. I assume this reveals they were made that way, in runs.
Thanks. And thank's to Bob who took the time and effort to list all of this. We miss him!!!!

street said:
And thanks to Bob who took the time and effort to list all of this. We miss him!!!!

Yes indeed! The List now contains over 3400 entries. We have nearly doubled the listings since we became the "clerk" of The List.

It will remain Bob Campbell's List of Ruger .357 Old Models.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pulaski

Single-Sixer
Contender ,
I have #7040 it has everything you stated except the grips are wood .
Did they come with wood grips ?
Thanks , Steve

Latest posts