327 owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sparks701

Bearcat
I have a quick question for the experts out there. How does the 327 fed. feel in comparison with .38? I have read in differnt magazines that it has a stout kick, and others say it is really tame. I have never owned a revolver and was kicking around the idea of getting something for the range and maybe serve as double duty for home defense for the wife. She struggles in racking the slide on my autos. She is not an avid shooter, and I would like something she would actually practice with and not be scared off by recoil. I'll probably rent both and see what she, we think together but I was just curious what you guys think. Thanks

Spike12

Bearcat
that's an incredably subjective question. what bothers me might be completely normal for others. There are too many variables...

1) That particular ammo's loading
2) Grip design vs. your hand
3) Grip design vs. your experience
4) How hung over you are.

You can make some 357 loads that are less punishing that hot 38s.

All in all, my reading says the 327 is someplace between 38 and 357 (as it's supposed to be). There is no one answer...

But the bottom line is: what it feels like to you

I've got the 8 shot Blackhawk. With 5 1/2 inch barrel, a 327 is just about halfway between a 38 and 357. I also have a SP101 with 3 inch barrel. It has "felt recoil" equal to a 357. It is also very loud. There are of course variations between the 85 grain bullets and 100 or grain bullets.

I do believe it is a great round though. I'm having a blast with it! I bought enough boxes of ammo to have empty brass to reload in the future.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Its not as strong as the 357 by any means and its got a little more thump than the .38 Special, but the biggest thing I've noticed from the 8 shot blackhawk is the noise and the permanent smile from shooting. Mine is very accurate. I shoot silhouettes every Saturday morning and we always set up 10-20 20oz soda bottles at 50 yards to plink at when we get tired of the rifles. The 327 destroys those soda bottles with no trouble.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I junked out my 327 and bought a 350!
Oh, uh, :D, I'm a Chevy guy!

:D

flatgate

PS I would think a .38 Special would be a total "pussycat" in the SP whereas the high velocity .327 should "bark" a bit. My SP-101 is a .357 and it lets me know I'm shooting .357's.

sparks701

Bearcat
Thanks guys for the input, that was what I pretty much thought, in between .38 and .357. Can't wait untill I find some time to rent a few and try them myself.

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
sparks - I see you are in Illinois... if you are close to Chicago, perhaps we can arrange a meet at a dealer/range and you/your girlfriend would be welcome to try my GP100?

--------

1st post here from a new shooter/owner - so my perspective may be a bit different...

The 115gr Speer GD has some kick and I agree with most of the above posts in that it's much closer to a standard pressure 158 gr. .38 Spl. than it is to a 125gr. .357 Mag. (both of which I have shot from a GP100 prior to buying one chambered in .327). I haven't fired any +P .38 Spls so I can't compare it to that.

I have a box of 85gr Federal Hydra-Shok (touted as "low recoil" load) and 100gr. American Eagle SPs I have yet to fire. I only know 3 readily available factory loads in this caliber. I'll report on these as soon as I can. as finding time from work for range time has been difficult lately.

If really recoil sensitive, perhaps you could use .32 S&W Long for practice? The GP100 is a pussycat with those. Although, this is perhaps not what you may want in a defense load?

I have not had an opportunity to shoot an SP101 so... I can't comment on felt recoil with that gun.

Some info on Chuckhawks with recoil energy values from Federal...
http://www.chuckhawks.com/327_federal.htm

sparks701

Bearcat
Tam 212, I'm in Aurora. If I can get a break from work I would like to meet up at a range and do some shooting, I've been off for 18 months so I can't pass up the work while I can get it. I'm an electrician and this fall/winter will be slow. maybe we can set something up in the near future. I was kind of hopeing Ruger was gonna make the LCR in .327 but they created the .357 instead. Just have to see whats next.

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
Roger that. I am teaching this weekend and then I'm off to Indy next weekend.

Perhaps we can meet up on Friday, Sept. 3 or Sunday, Sept. 4?

I believe there is at least one dealer/range in Aurora but I've never gone that way. I have been to GAT up in Dundee.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
My experience: the SP101 recoil with full bore ammo is considerably more than a 4" Smith 38 with NON +P ammo. I don't have a 357 that is that small, so can't compare directly, but it is more than the recoil of my 4.5" 357 Blackhawk IMO. As mentioned, it depends on the ammo you choose. The 115 grain SD loads WILL 'get your attention'! No pain or anything like that, but "substantial". Of course in the larger guns, (GP100 and BH), it will be substantially less. I haven't tried either of them.

One thing of which you should be aware: The hammer spring on the SP101 is THE stiffest I have ever seen! My wife liked the gun, but after cocking it a couple of times (to shoot single action), she handed it back and showed me a red, sore, thumb. "No dice". I changed out the hammer spring, and the trigger return spring (courtesy of MidwayUSA), and now it is reasonable. And the trigger pull has decreased significantly as well - even in single action shooting. My shooting buddy tried mine, and immediately ordered out and installed the lighter hammer spring on his.

So, as others have said, if you can TRY ONE out, do it. These things are very subjective, and each of us is different. I really like the little gun, and think it is a hoot to shoot, but others have no use for it. As they say: "Different strokes for different folks".

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
Yes, although ammo seems inordinately expensive and even more difficult to find compared to .32 S&W Long or .327 Fed. Mag.

You do have the choice of light, medium and heavy with a .327 gun and that was one contributing factor that lead me to getting a GP100 in this caliber as my first firearm.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Tam 212":j7zjqc5p said:
Yes, although ammo seems inordinately expensive and even more difficult to find compared to .32 S&W Long or .327 Fed. Mag.

You do have the choice of light, medium and heavy with a .327 gun and that was one contributing factor that lead me to getting a GP100 in this caliber as my first firearm.

Agree; the 100 grain stuff is still a bit hard to find, too. As to cost, however, WHEN it can be found, it sells for around $25/box of 50. Since I reload, and the 327 brass (yes it is available), sells for around $20/100 unprimed, that means that although 100 loaded cartridges sell for around $50, the brass you wind up with is worth around $20; so the ammo really only costs about $30, or $15 a box! About the only thing I can buy cheaper around here is FMJ 9mm 'range' ammo.

As far as the other 327 loadings, (the "SD" JHP stuff), they are going for around $1/round, about the same as any other SD-type ammo.

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
Hmm... well, when you put it that way. :)

Learning how to reload greatly interests me but my landlord would probably not be too happy should I decide to bring in a press and reloading supplies into my apartment! :D

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I feel your pain. But then you don't HAVE to tell him, do you..... :roll:

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info available here. Hope you enjoy it.

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
I probably might give some serious thought to chancing it but I live in Chicago... where you are supposed to have the frame in the bedroom, the barrel in the bathroom and the cylinder in the kitchen with a lock through it.

Best not push my luck. ;)