2014 #1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

357Maximum

Bearcat
RSI. 257 Roberts

1A .280 Remington

1A 9.3X62

Just ordered one of each (grin)

Be interesting in a year from now , how many are available.

Tnhunter

Bearcat
Congrats! A #1 in either 9.3x62 or 9.3x74R would certainly make me smile..... :mrgreen:

R1895

Bearcat
The only new one that catches my eye is the 1-S in 9.3x62. At one time I thought that this would be a great #1 to own if they made one, however, having one in 9.3x74R makes me wonder if I should bother going there as they're just so darn similar, almost ridiculously so. Decisions, decisions.

Tnhunter

Bearcat
R1895 said:
The only new one that catches my eye is the 1-S in 9.3x62. At one time I thought that this would be a great #1 to own if they made one, however, having one in 9.3x74R makes me wonder if I should bother going there as they're just so darn similar, almost ridiculously so. Decisions, decisions.

I owned a CZ 550FS in 9.3x62 which was a well made and very accurate rifle. However, when I decided to buy a double rifle in 9.3x74R, the CZ was sold to help pay for it. They are pretty much ballistic twins, as you alluded to. However, I'd purchase either in a #1 to accompany my double rifle and would suppose the shorter 9.3 might be a better(?) choice seeing as how ammo & brass are easier to come by and pay for.... :mrgreen:

R1895

Bearcat
Tnhunter said:
...and would suppose the shorter 9.3 might be a better(?) choice seeing as how ammo & brass are easier to come by and pay for.... :mrgreen:

I've not had any problem with finding components for the 74R.
Thing is, I already have a boatload of brass and dies for the 74R so I'm all set there; the 62 would mean buying both new dies and brass... Humm, I still might, who knows?

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I could get excited about these offerings!

A RSI in 257R sounds like a great combination.

Corbi

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Jeepin Bowhunter said:
They also are bringing back the 1-V in 220 Swift. If I didn't already have one, it would be on my list.
It is a neat one, but I am less tempted since it is not a 1-8 or 1-9. With a 1-8 I would love to launch a 75 A-Max, thanks Ruger I guess for letting me keep my money.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
The 9.3x62 is intriguing but not sure if it really is anything I an live without, especially when current #1's here run the gambit from small varmints to lg African game.

instructor

Single-Sixer
Noted the comment about 220 Swift and wanting 8 or 9 twist and so did I, but settled for a re barrel of my No.1 to 22-250 w/ 7 twist for shooting those 80-90gr. SMK's. Set it up to take my Unertl 1.5"/16x scope and it does very well way out there. Would add that it shoots the 69's all the way up to the 90's fine as well. I found that to change barrel to about any caliber you want on the No.1's is not that big of a deal and just have to install correct extractor to fit case head and they are not expensive. Have extra barrel for mine in Win. 348 to go along with my Browning Mod. 71. Watched Ruger tutorial video on disassembly of the action and a bit tricky, but after a couple times, no problem. I take it apart and visit my local 'smith and we simply unscrew one barrel, screw on the other one, change extractor and good to go. I have a No.3 which was 22 Hornet initially but is now 45/70 Gov't w/ heavier barrel than the original ones in this caliber and a bit longer and is not that unpleasant to shoot compared to original ones in this caliber. Giving serious thought to making up another barrel for the "little jewel."

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
instructor said:
Noted the comment about 220 Swift and wanting 8 or 9 twist and so did I, but settled for a re barrel of my No.1 to 22-250 w/ 7 twist for shooting those 80-90gr. SMK's. Set it up to take my Unertl 1.5"/16x scope and it does very well way out there. Would add that it shoots the 69's all the way up to the 90's fine as well. I found that to change barrel to about any caliber you want on the No.1's is not that big of a deal and just have to install correct extractor to fit case head and they are not expensive. Have extra barrel for mine in Win. 348 to go along with my Browning Mod. 71. Watched Ruger tutorial video on disassembly of the action and a bit tricky, but after a couple times, no problem. I take it apart and visit my local 'smith and we simply unscrew one barrel, screw on the other one, change extractor and good to go. I have a No.3 which was 22 Hornet initially but is now 45/70 Gov't w/ heavier barrel than the original ones in this caliber and a bit longer and is not that unpleasant to shoot compared to original ones in this caliber. Giving serious thought to making up another barrel for the "little jewel."
Good to know, thanks!

rangerbob

Buckeye
I'm done on the #1A in 280 Remington. It's one I've bitched about for the last 4 decades(like my #1A in 308) and I've sold off all of my bolt guns in 280. The 1S in 9.3x62 would be nice since I've sold my M77 in that caliber. Now we'll have to wait to see how long it takes for Ruger to make them. Bob! :D

picketpin

Buckeye
I simply punched a 22-250 to Ackley Improved but of course that's 1:14 and limits you to about 55s at best.

It will drive them at Swift velocities.

The next two were a 22-250s but pulled the 1;14 barrels and had them re-barreld with Shile tubes for the 22-250AI and 1:7 for the 6mm-RemAI. Fun but to be honest the added cost and ballistics are not neeed for most chucks and squirrels at the distances they present at out here.

I thought about using a 1:9 take off from a 223 #1 but it wasn't enough to really use the longest/heaviest VLDs.

RWT

instructor

Single-Sixer
Primary reason for doing the 1/7 twist is to shoot at matches(NRA Long Range) ranging from 600yds. to 1000yds. and w/ the 80-90gr SMK's I find it to be very similar to the 308 w/ Sierra Palma 155's, but with a heck of a lot less recoil. Can get over 3200fps with either of these bullets, but accuracy seems to suffer some and back it off to just slightly over 3000fps and accuracy is dead spot on and wind deflection/adjustments very similar to the 308 w/ the 155's. Have never "cleaned" the 1000yd target, but have shot in the high 190's(196 w/ 12X's) and if memory serves right, came in 2nd behind military shooters using the 300WinMag. The 22-250 w/right twist(7-8) barrel/load is a high performance combo and with shooting jacket, sling, prone style shooting, there were times I could not tell if the round fired or not, no recoil and w/ ear muffs on, could not hear the muzzle blast. These days with quality components the 308 will run you about $0.75/round(reloads) and the 22-250 will be about 25% less with equal performance. What's not to like about that??
Years ago I dismissed the No. 1 for long range prone/sling shooting for I thought the forward sling would put stress on the barrel until I figured out the hanger(which is welded to the main action body)does not exert pressure on the barrel w/sling. There are better triggers out there compared to factory, but I find the issue trigger works fine for me. Used old standby of Rem. 700's for long range match shooting for years, but the Ruger No. 1 is strong as a bank vault and for slow fire match shooting it is a very fine rifle if equipped with quality barrel and right twist.