10/22 BIPOD - Harris or Caldwell?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I own several Harris bi-pods, but I've never tried any Caldwell ones. Harris is considered the "standard" by which all others are measured. However,, Caldwell has built some excellent products & has an excellent reputation,, so I'd venture a guess that either one could do a good job for you.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I own several Harris bi-pods, but I've never tried any Caldwell ones. Harris is considered the "standard" by which all others are measured. However, Caldwell has built some excellent products & has an excellent reputation,, so I'd venture a guess that either one could do a good job for you.
Thanks for your reply.

The thing that stands out to me, one of the main reasons for me asking is, the Caldwell comparable is 1/2 the price!!! I'm stunned, so I find myself in the inquiry mode. I owned a Harris bipod myself years ago, but no personal experience with the Caldwell bipods. Hence, this thread was started. :)

sandman228

Single-Sixer
ive owned it prob 7 years or so I had it on a 10/22 I previously owned .I sold that 10/22 a couple years ago and put the bipod on a savage 22 auto I have .then when I bought the take down it went to that . not sure exactly how many times its been used I haven't had any issues with it . I bought it at bass pro in Harrisburg pa when I took my wife down there for testing for her job I'm thinking I only paid in the 25-30$ range for it . now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I used it on my 243 a few times also .

9x19

Hunter
I have both and external springs aren't woods friendly in my experience... I like a more streamlined style.

At the bench it really doesn't matter as long as it's solid.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Harris for me. I 'usually' prefer the original to the knock-off. I figure I'll spend my money with the company that researched, designed and created the product, rather than the one that just copied it.

Same does not apply to Colt single actions. ;)

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
Harris for me. I 'usually' prefer the original to the knock-off. I figure I'll spend my money with the company that researched, designed and created the product, rather than the one that just copied it.

Same does not apply to Colt single actions. ;)
I guess all brands at some point in the food chain were a "first to go" or as you say, a knockoff.

So, on a serious note, what makes Harris so much better for double the money?