Hunter Sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I hope this does not violate protocol because I already posted this question on a Silhouette site but never got any response.

I want to use my Hunter for a Silhouette match and that means adjusting my sights between 50, 100, 150 and 200 meters and back. This requires repeatable sights, meaning they will repeatedly go back to the same POI as they are frequently adjusted. Other than sights made specifically for target shooting, many stock iron sights will not do that, but I have never tested any of my rugers for that.

I will test my sights at these ranges in time, but that will involve the expenditure of no small amount of time and ammo. I would appreciate any comments on whether you think the stock iron sights will be repeatable. Ta

jsh

Single-Sixer
I will throw in what I have found, playing the same game you are.
Repeatability is the main thing.
I would get a dial indicator and a magnetic base.
Bottom your sight out, zero. Then get the paper and pencil out. You can use either the detent or the hash mark on the screw, which ever you prefer.
Use your dial indicator to measure every click or hash all the way to the top.
Now do the same thing going back down.

This will give you an idea of what you have to work with. It may be usable,N then again maybe not.

Easy way out, get your $$$ out and buy a Bowen rear. It is not a Bomar by any means but is still an excellent rear sight. Best money I have spent for a long while.
Jeff

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thanks very much Jeff. I think Bowen has several kinds of sights but I assume you mean the Bowen Target Sight so I'll take a look at that. Appreciate the help.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
sjs said:
I hope this does not violate protocol because I already posted this question on a Silhouette site but never got any response.

I want to use my Hunter for a Silhouette match and that means adjusting my sights between 50, 100, 150 and 200 meters and back. This requires repeatable sights, meaning they will repeatedly go back to the same POI as they are frequently adjusted. Other than sights made specifically for target shooting, many stock iron sights will not do that, but I have never tested any of my rugers for that.

I will test my sights at these ranges in time, but that will involve the expenditure of no small amount of time and ammo. I would appreciate any comments on whether you think the stock iron sights will be repeatable. Ta

Elevation & windage screws of adjustable iron sights should be lubricated with grease or oil. Greatly reduces wear during frequent adjustment and generally aids repeatability. Count elevation clicks FROM BOTTOM DETENT. Count bottom detent as ZERO. The Ruger elevation screw has 16-clicks per revolution. Once you are on the chicken (50 meters), try 3 or 4-clicks for pigs (100 meters). Add 12-clicks for turkeys (150m). Add 14-clicks for rams (200m). These figures are rough, very rough, as I don't know your gun, your load, or your sight picture.
David Bradshaw

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
David Bradshaw said:
sjs said:

Elevation & windage screws of adjustable iron sights should be lubricated with grease or oil. Greatly reduces wear during frequent adjustment and generally aids repeatability. Count elevation clicks FROM BOTTOM DETENT. Count bottom detent as ZERO. The Ruger elevation screw has 16-clicks per revolution. Once you are on the chicken (50 meters), try 3 or 4-clicks for pigs (100 meters). Add 12-clicks for turkeys (150m). Add 14-clicks for rams (200m). These figures are rough, very rough, as I don't know your gun, your load, or your sight picture.

If the above sight dope was on, and the chicken was shot with rear sight on bottom detent, your notebook would show this:

chicken 0
pig 3
turkey 15
ram 29

May save ammunition to sight in on good size cardboard.
David Bradshaw

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thank you David, I am going to try that later this week at the range.

My current load is a 240 gr XTP over 23.7 gr of H110, but I am going to be trying to develop a lighter load with 300 gr cast bullets as soon as my bullet order comes in from Missouri Bullet Co.

Those are fewer clicks than I would have guessed. I am looking forward to seeing how it works out with my loads.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
"My current load is a 240 gr XTP over 23.7 gr of H110, but I am going to be trying to develop a lighter load with 300 gr cast bullets as soon as my bullet order comes in from Missouri Bullet Co.

Those are fewer clicks than I would have guessed."

sjs.... your SWAG on sight dope may be closer. Your .44 Mag load of Hornady 240 XTP over 23.7/H110 falls between 1,300 and 1,400 fps.
David Bradshaw