Remington Nylon 66 article in Gun Digest

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My family's Nylons are going to be featured in an upcoming issue of GD if I understand the message from Son correctly. Dad had an old Nylon 66 made before they were SNed and my first rifle was a Nylon given as a graduation present. As my children were born, I bought them each a new Nylon 66. Oldest got a standard(just like mine). Daughter seemed special so she got a black and chrome. Youngest got a "Black Diamond" black stock w/blue/black metal.
The writer indicated it is extremely difficult to assemble this variety in decent condition for photos and range work. Grandson got to be in the pics firing on the range. They used my old, beat, refinished 40+ year old rifle for disassembly to show the innards.
BTW When the Nylons became valuable, I replaced all of the kids using rifles with 10-22 rifles-older models with walnut stocks.

sigp220.45

Single-Sixer
That is too cool. Will it be a "One Good Gun" feature?

I just got my first Nylon 66 after several decades of wanting one. I love it.

bennettfam

Single-Sixer
My dad had a Nylon 66 when I was a kid. I always thought it was coyote-ugly. But that thing sure was a shooter as I recall. Now they are collector's items?

Funny how things "uncool" get "cool" given enough time.

BIGGUY

Bearcat
Nice that your guns are being featured. I inherited my Grandfather's old Nylon 11 a few months ago. It's in great shape and came with the original box. I haven't shot it yet though.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
all my sons still have their Nylon 66s.

And Dad (that'd be me) still has his lever action Nylon 76 Trailrider that I'm regularly told 'never existed'

Nylon76002.jpg

Nylon76078.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Nice to see him shooting that 76 Trailrider. I found one years ago before they went "platinum".
Nowadays a LN specimen (no scuffs, with sticker & extras, etc) approaches being a $1000 gun. The experts say under 27,000 were made, but you rarely find one in as-new condition.

Don't oil that action!!!

I HAD a 76, 10(or 11-can't remember which), 12, and 77 detachable mag. One of the bolt actions was the ultrarare long barrel(22"). Guy up the road had a single shot smoothbore. Try to find one of those on the open market.
Unfortunately, I sold the group for about a grand during a time of financial distress.

toysoldier

Hunter
Long years back, my good friend Luke was looking for a .22 rifle. I showed him an ad for a Nylon 77 at Target for (I think) $24.99. He went there, they were out, and he got a rain check. A couple of months later, they were advertising theim again, but for nearly twice as much. I alerted Luke. He went to the store, asked to see one of them, listened to the sales spiel, then pulled out his rain check. :D The clerk wasn't happy.

Luke died 3 days before his 38th birthday, and I regret not having had the money to offer to buy the gun from his widow, just for the memories.

Charon

Single-Sixer
I have a Mohawk Brown Nylon 66, which I bought in 1966. It is a pre-serial-number one. I also have a Black Diamond. I'd rather like to get one of the Gallery Special models chambered in .22 Short, just for the novelty value. Unfortunately, there weren't many made and they are scarce and pricey, and often in rough shape.

If you run across a Nylon 66 somewhere, look it over carefully. Seems some were made in Brazil, but I don't know whether they were made under license or after any patents expired.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The Brazil rifles were made under license, but the story goes CBC used mostly worn-out tooling and quality was spotty.

My question would be that with the MILLIONS of Remington guns sold, - why would the CBC guns be interesting at all?

- I have a Gallery Special - hold on to your lunch - that someone started sawing the stock off behind the grip cap. They cut about 1/2" into the stock, then probably remembered about the magazine tube...
*sigh* It still works perfectly, albeit with the bubba scar.

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I had a Nylon 77 that I bought about 5 years ago for $140. It was OK but I didn't particularly like the mag hanging down. I would rather have had a 66.
I've got four 10/22s so I sold the 77. I would pick up a 66 if I found a bargain though.
Anybody know the most valuable Nylon ? Hint - it's not the Trailrider.

Don't know about the most valuable but the bolt action 22" barrel w/tube magazine under the barrel and the smoothbore single shot have to be right up there with most rare.
I've seen the Nylon display at the Cody museum and they had neither of those rifles.

welldoya

Single-Sixer
The Model 10 smoothbore was the one I was thinking of. They made something like 800 with the approximately 20" barrel and only 200 with the 24" barrel. I recently saw a 24" barrel smoothbore go for $4,225 on GB.

P90

Single-Sixer
I bought a black and chrome Apache, tube fed, new that was made in May 1973. All my Grandkids are using it to learn to shoot. Due to weight, they are a great beginners rifle.