Votes: 1 50.0%
  • P94

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P95

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

zakmatthews

Bearcat
Looking for a tough-as-nails and reliable gun to keep in my trunk. Would only carry rarely. Here was my additional criteria: Ruger, semi-auto, 9mm, 15rds minimum capacity, $300 or less.

Which would you pick, and why?

A

Anonymous

I'd have to say the P95. It's the easiest to find, compared to a P93 (pretty rare), or 94 (most are chamber in .40), and it's a little smaller and lighter than a P89.

roylt

Hunter
I voted 89. I like the metal and look.

For the 300 or less route you may have to go P95 seems the metal guns are climbing in price in the last 6 months or so. You can find deals though. I would suggest getting which ever one you want. Hold each and see what you like. The 95 doesn't allow for much of a grip change if you have small or big hands. You can get a slip cover for it though. Now the metal guns allow for a lot of diffent size, shape, material of grip.

good luck and post pics of what you get.

tiger955

Bearcat
I personally would take a P89 any day, preferably stainless. I had a P95 and found it fussy and unreliable but apparently others have not had the same experience. I have not tried the others, but am on my second P89 and love it.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
I'm partial to the P89, P93, P94 chambered in 9mm as per your criteria. While the P93/P94 are smaller than the P89 making CCW easier, it is possible with the P89 as well (depending on your definition of "rarely"). And.... regarding your "tough as nails" criteria..... I personally don't believe the Polymer/Plastic P95 totally meets that criteria... IMO, but it is smaller/lighter and a tough gun considering.

Any of em would be a good choice actually.... one or two better than the others only marginally.

rooger

Single-Sixer
My P95 Decocker has never jammed or misfired. It is rugged and easy to clean. I feel it is extremely reliable and will operate perfectly when I need it to.
It is a no-frills instrument that I have never regretted purchasing. Good luck with your poll.

zakmatthews

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone, keep it coming. I'm keeping my eyes open for any of the guns I listed. Whichever one pops up first at the right price is probably what I'll end up with. I am leaning toward the P89, but we will see.

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
A P94 is my personal choice out of the ones you listed. As stated by others, I believe that any of them would serve you reliably. Good luck with your choice sir.

Kenny

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
It took me a long time to find one, but the P93 gets my vote. As a matter of fact, I had pretty much given up on finding one in "small town, USA". I bought a lightly used P95 just a couple of weeks before finding my KP93 at a reasonable price. Same size as the P95 but all metal. I had a difficult time explaining those two puchases over a 2 - 3 week span.

I am just not a fan of polymer guns. I do own some, but I am too "old school" to be a big fan of any of the newer guns on the market now. All of my recent purchases have been used or LNIB specimens of out of production guns.

P.S.
My P95 has not missed a beat either and has been totally reliable. From my experience, any Ruger will do well for you. Just buy the one that you like best.

dwd

Single-Sixer
I voted p89 based on your criteria. I think it would be the best "trunk gun." I would get a stainless since might get neglected for a long period of time.
That being said any of your choices would be fine.

A

Anonymous

Although not an option, a used SR9 wouldn't be too much over $300. I bought mine new for $399. I find the SR9 series superior to the P series, and I have a P944.

zakmatthews

Bearcat
Well, I found a P89DC locally. I'm meeting the guy this Thursday to check it out and hopefully buy it.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
They all work.
The 93 and 95 are the same dimensions, but the 93 is a little heavier,
meaning less possible issues with limp wristing. The 93 also has a better
trigger by far than the 95.
So what exactly would be the negative marks going against the 93?
The 89 is huge, the 95 is polymer with a crap trigger, the 94 is just a bigger 93.
So seems to me 93 would be the clear winner here.

Al James

Hunter
gatorhugger said:

And yet the worst seller by far :shock:

Kinda like the MKII Target with the 5 1/4" barrel [KMK-514] seems to be the best configuration but it flops everytime Ruger makes it.

A

Anonymous

gatorhugger said:
They all work.
The 93 and 95 are the same dimensions, but the 93 is a little heavier,
meaning less possible issues with limp wristing. The 93 also has a better
trigger by far than the 95.
So what exactly would be the negative marks going against the 93?
The 89 is huge, the 95 is polymer with a crap trigger, the 94 is just a bigger 93.

The P93 is by far the hardest to find. Like I stated originally.

Considering that, even if nothing else, it's not the clear winner.