favorite revolver round?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I must be crazy because I hear everyone talking about loading ammo mild to wild. I never do that I keep my loads on the topside of the reloading books. If a max load is 25.5 grains with a bullet I'm loading I will use 25.0 and load all the hulls I have to that load. I shoot the same load at tin cans I shoot deer with I don't vary my loads for different shooting. I usually have at least 1000 rounds loaded for most of the calibers I shoot regularly and they are all top loads for the caliber. For my 38's the max listedf load is 4.3 gr of 2400 with the bullet I mold and I have 2500 of them loaded at 4.0 gr. That way I don't have to keep them seperate for any gun I use the sights are set for that load in all of them. my 38 loads are used mostly for plinking and a little small game use also.

ceadermtnboy

Blackhawk
My vote goes for the 357/38. Right now I really enjoy shooting the 38. I have pretty much decided that I like to hunt with rifles so most of my handgun shooting is maxed out at the 357 level.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
I find the 22LR, 38 Special and recently the 44 special indispensable. I own 357 wheelguns, but I rarely shoot anything but 38's in them. The 22 is obvious, and I include the 44 special over the magnum because I load 95+% of my 44 magnum loads to 44 special velocities.

I'd throw in 45 ACP in the running if not for having to do the "Chicken Dance" finding my brass.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
It's a hard question for me to answer. How do you choose a favorite child when you love them all? That said, I own more .45 Colts than any others. I just dont want to hurt any of their feelings :cry:

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
Wow, tough choice, .45 colt would be first 255gr SWC just speaks to me for mild and for wild I like the a 330gr.
.44 mag is a close 2nd, I really like a 250gr Keith in mine

Drifting Fate

Bearcat
.357 magnum for it's wide power range, from soft-ball .38 like wadcutters to rip snortin', fire breathing dragon slayers, it fits in a nice sized package and offers to do everything I need done... like slaying dragons. :?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
1) 357
2)38 spl
3) 45 Colt
4) 22 LR

My top 4 are almost a tie though. After those 4 a distant 5th and 6th would be 44 Mag and 44 spl.

The 357 and 22 LR are also my favorite rifle rounds.

deerman3

Bearcat
41 mag
41 special
and 414 super when Mr. Harton coverts my maxi (Rob, you are the reason I have to have one after seeing yours when Alan was building yours) :)

willk

Blackhawk
My favorite would be the round that chambers in the revolver that is currently in my hand. Right now we have revolvers in .22; .22 MAG; 32 H&R; .357 Mag, .41 Mag; .44 Mag (got a bunch of those) .45 Colt (got a bunch of those too :D )

Brenda Lea keeps asking me this question; "which is my favorite caliber," She also keeps asking me which is my favorite revovler, for which I have an answer, the Revolver that was given to me by her and our son when I finished grad school. (that would be a Ruger SBH Hunter)

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
If you would have asked me 20 years ago I would have said 44 mag, the cartridge that can do everything. Then came the 32 H&R and I really like that round. Like it better for everything you would use a 22 to a 38spcl for. But the 32 would never replace my 44. A few years back I picked up a 45 colt Vaquero. Not sure why I waited so long to get one as I always liked (and had) 45 acp for self defense. While every one else was trying to hot rod rounds and figure out how to make hollow points work consistently so the would expand to .45 caliber, I always thought it made more sense to start with that size. Today it's a tough choice between the 44 and the 45. Either one of these would work for my "only" round. I still like the 32 but if I need something to do serious work I want it to start with a 4.

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
maybe .44 special or .45 Colt.

if i had kept my two S&W 696's (I sold them a few years ago since i wasn't reloading at the time - too busy with young kids in the house) it would definitely be the .44 special.

I still often shoot .44 special loads out of my SBH and my Winchester 94.

however, i like handloading .45 Colt loads for my New Vaquero and Blackhawk. It's a fun to shoot round and I can get some peppy hunting handloads for my Blackhawk.

Ken ONeill

Single-Sixer
The .44 Magnum. It will pretty much do anything that needs done. I own more of them, and have generated more shooting and hunting memories with them, than anything else I own.
In my present "old geezer" state though, I'm again finding myself shooting more .22 LR's than anything else, so I may be subject to changing my mind.

wizofwas

Buckeye
22LR, fun, cheap, easy to shoot and tons of rounds available. Next would be the 45. Either in Colt or ACP. Lots of history with both rounds and arguably one of the best caliber's ever produced.

Lee Martin

Hunter
deerman3 said:
414 super when Mr. Harton coverts my maxi (Rob, you are the reason I have to have one after seeing yours when Alan was building yours) :)

You're going to love the 414 SuperMag. I've been shooting one I did on an El Dorado for the past 8 months:

414_El_Dorado_1.JPG

Drop me a line when you get yours.....I have tons of load data.

Charon

Single-Sixer
.22 LR. Inexpensive and reasonably quiet. Revolvers chambered in .22 LR will also shoot shorts, longs if you can find them, and shot. What's not to like about a .22?