Questions about No.1 in 218 Bee

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
For whatever reason, I have developed a desire for a No. 1 in .218 Bee.

I believe these were only made in the 1B and 1S models. Is this correct? Do those have the same barrel weight?

I had a 1B in .22 Hornet for a while. I just couldn't warm up to it because it seemed too heavy for that cartridge. But that gun shot great.

Thanks,

SR

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Yes, they were only made in 1S and 1B configurations, which both have the same medium (B) weight barrel.
I have two of the 1S 218 Bee, well, three actually since I had a third one rechambered to 222 Rem. years ago.

These are some of my favorite No. Ones, and I have more than a few. They're extremely accurate, fun to shoot and cheap to reload for. I've never owned a Bee in the 1B, but do have a 22 Hornet 1B. It's also accurate, but just not as classy as the 1S.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the response. It just seems like the .218 Bee should be in a 1A. But maybe that's just me. I guess I could have one made.

I really like those little cartridges. I've had a 1B and No. 3 in the Hornet. I currently have a 77/22 Hornet that came with a really pretty stock. I put a shorter Boyd's stock on it for now and it's one of my 10-year-old's favorite guns to shoot.

SR

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Anything is yet possible through Lipseys, the distributor who appears to be single-handedly responsible for the continued existence/production of the No. 1, however limited.
Ruger did do a run of 1A 22 Hornets back in the late 1980's and again just recently (for Lipseys) with CC receivers. The Bee has a smaller following than the Hornet, so it may never happen.

I really enjoy the Ruger No.1 in 218 Bee I have both configurations I shoot the 1B more because I am getting older & I have a nice scope for my older eyes. I use it shooting varmints' in Montana My Son shoots the 22 Hornet in the M77 Varmint both a lot of fun & cheap to shoot after you get the brass.
Have 2 Marlins in 218 Bee also but not as much fun and a lot noisier. All four are very accurate.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Sounds like Chet is on board. Maybe they could sell at least 2.

Of course I want good wood and all the rest. Maybe I should just begin a search for a non-prefix .222 Remington with a 22" barrel and be done with it. There should be at least a couple hundred in the universe...

SR

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
south_ridge said:
Sounds like Chet is on board. Maybe they could sell at least 2.

Of course I want good wood and all the rest. Maybe I should just begin a search for a non-prefix .222 Remington with a 22" barrel and be done with it. There should be at least a couple hundred in the universe...

SR
There are plenty of 1A's in 222 Rem out there now thanks to the more recent issues of the last few years. Of course, wood quality in another matter . . . . . :(

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
While I've not owned as many No. 1s as a few of you guys, I have owned somewhere between 5 and 10 over the years. I really like them. But I currently only have one - a 4-digit .243 with the AH forend and a 26" barrel. I kept it not because it was a somewhat-rare configuration, but because the wood-to-metal fit is befitting of a gun of this ilk.

I can deal with relatively normal wood quality. But the thing that drives me nuts when I pick up some newer guns is how proud the wood is. So even if I found a newer 1A .222 with decent wood, I bet the wood-to-metal fit would turn me off.

Interestingly, almost all of the newer guns I've owned have shot well. But if I'm buying a No. 1, I want the pieces to fit together well.

SR

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I would dearly LOVE a #1 in .218 Bee, I had a BSA Cadet Martini in .218
while in college and I FOOLISHLY let it get away from me and later learned
that the new owner had it re barreled to .22 Hornet and the news so nearly
depressed me that I gave up accurate single shots of all configurations for
nearly a decade but now I've reached my 70s and figure that its time once
again to dive into that market before my eyes betray me. A #1s, if as I seem
to recall is the sub model with the long forend wood and no sling swivel
attachment ahead of the Alexander Henry shorter forend and no iron sights sounds like the definite way to go now even though as configured it would probably out
weigh the Martini Henry I gave up by pounds but it will get shot off of a
rest so who cares?