A Ruger No.1 that would sell a lot....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
Any No 1 less than $1,000. Recent events have shown that these would sell like hotcakes! I'd say the Barrett 416 as it's argueabely the best long range cartridge out there—given that it is a marginally viable cartridge, like the 348—it should appeal to No 1 collectors.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
wunbe said:
Long ago I learned that to get the No 1 I want, I have to get it made custom.

Keeps me from pleading in vain.

Hi,

If my memory's not playing tricks on me, didn't Remington once sell just the action of the 700 for the custom market to build on? Kinda like buying your AR lower and going from there with upper and goodies...

I don't understand the No 1 production scheme at all: we hear it's too expensive to be profitable, yet Lipsey's has a special run made up every so often (there's another thread going on that subject right this instant) and I doubt either Ruger or Lipsey's intends to lose money on those deals. So how are they "financed?" Are Lipsey's prices high enough to cover the "cost problem" or does Lipsey's recognize there are certain things you will be able to sell by the 1000s/year, for a long period of time, but will never be moving them at 10k or 100k units/year speeds. In exchange, those who want one of the 1000s will come up with the money to keep the sale profitable to all involved.

Most of the gun owners I hear who claim "I can't afford that" are probably telling the truth, because they've already got $75 grand or better tied up in that new pickup, and all those guns already gathering dust in the safe it never even hauls to the range. Yet they always find a way to get another... be it a gun or a pickup! ;)

Anyway, back to my first line: in today's world, would selling No. 1 actions be a plausible tactic? Especially perhaps if the action was considered a "restricted" item that would have to be sold to a certain list of FFLs to be completed as a rifle prior to the end purchaser getting a hold of it?

Rick C

wunbe

Buckeye
Ruger has never sold gun parts. They will install and repair in house but not supply parts --even gun stocks -- for outside custom work.

Art least that has always been the case and I suspect you can suspend the "Never Say Never" rule about Ruger on this one.

wunbe

eastbank

Single-Sixer
I have a ruger #1 in .460 S&W with a 22" barrel NIB that I never fired, and I have dies and a boat load of cases. just to many irons in the fire.

grobin

Blackhawk
Rick C's suggestion appears to be a good one and could lead to viable sales if you have a community of No1 users who actually use them (other than a little pro forma plinking).The

I've been at a number of ranges and clubs and never seen a No 1 except for one time where the owner fired around 50 rounds and left. I've never heard of one being used in any competition.

Frankly, while I'd buy a No 1-if the price was right and the cartridge one that was otherwise unavaliable-I'd likely do what the other No 1 owners seem to do. Fondle it and brag on having it but not shoot it. This would make the No 1 action sales unattractive as most seem to want a scarce/unavailable gun.

gunzo

Hunter
Remington does sell actions at this time, I bought a new one recently.

M77 barreled actions were, at one time sold. #1 barreled actions were also available. It didn't continue, must not have been profitable.

Bill Ruger Sr. refused to sell just actions. I have, or used to have the refusal letter from customer service.

That was then. The company would probably sell them now "IF" they thought there was money in it, or "IF" their lawyers thought it advisable. Is there a market?

Face it, the #1 NEVER had strong sales, & they're not likely to get better :(.

In my best/worse Bob Dylan voice, The times they are a changin.

wunbe

Buckeye
Another thing that argues against Ruger selling actions is that back a few years ago they went to a low to no inventory guns production strategy. That is they only make enough parts for the run and maybe a few spares for repair/replacements to avoid the past situation in which warehouses got crammed with stuff that sat unused for years, maybe decades. Under the new svelte production approach, extras will be rare.

wunbe

chet15

Hawkeye
Heliman said:
Shooters of No. 1 rifles are a small percentage of the Ruger customer base. As far as I know, the No. 1 hasn't been profitable for years.
Dave

They are profitable to Lipsey's.
They just don't have "as much" GP as most (all?) of the other Ruger offerings.
.....of course Ruger makes more on plastic.
Chet15

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
Barreled No.1 actions were sold I believe, at least around 1972. A friend had a 'B' model in 222 Rem. It was one of two ordered by a LGS. It was sent back to Ruger to be stocked after prices of custom stock fitting soured the owner's initial intentions. Ruger did not normally offer this service but a LGS owner knew a few Ruger folks and the 222 No.1 was fitted at the factory with a plainish walnut stock and black pad. Research seems to indicate these two No.1 barreled actions (1972) were rare(?). The origional barreled action factory box was kept by Ruger as returned rifle with stock was put in a standard 'rifle' Ruger box. I am not 100% sure the barreled actions came in a shorter box or not. I was offered the rifle for $950 and probably should have bought it. It sold in a LGS for $1,200 including a Nikon scope I believe.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
And: Fitting barrels: I've enjoyed fitting take off and new barrels to Ruger 77 actions on my own 12x36 lathe(s). However what kept ME from wanting to play with barrel fitting a No.1 action is milling the extractor relief in the barrel face. I have milled similar relief for CZ527 barrels but those are easier, and even then a friend's milling machine was needed.
The only thing better than owning a milling machine?.... having friends with milling machines!

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
In the early 70's I purchased 2 Number 1 barreled actions. One was in 458.
As for me dream # 1 Ive already got 2 the 405 and the 9x74 now I want a 348.

Joe S.

Hunter
In my mind, single shots should house rimmed cartridges. I would love to buy one of the 475s. I would love to see a 444 Marlin or a 356 Winchester. Or another run of the blued 30-30s. Any of these in RSI configuration would be great.

But I agree that most folks these days want the newest technology like the 6.5C. I feel Ruger is doing a good job offering the calibers they are offering in the way they are doing them.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I agree that RIMMED cartridges seem to be a good choice for Ruger No.1's, so I added a NIB 2011 production blue/walnut No.1A in 30/30 to the fold yesterday. Been wanting one for a while and would have been happy with either blued or stainless. Anxious to shoot an old 'thutty thutty' once again, but this time in a No.1!

rangerbob

Buckeye
Alan, I had one of the 2011 issue 30-30's and one in 308. I also had #1A's in 257 Bob, 6.5x55, 303 British, 35 Whelen, and a 1S in 45-70. All I have left are the 308 and a 1A in 280 Remington. I'm the kind of reloader and shooter that would want to rechamber the 30-30 to 30-284 or some other wildcat. I sought treatment for my affliction, though. Lipseys has the 1A in 250 Savage as a possible cure. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I REALLY like the 30/30 Ackley Improved and had several in Handi Rifles. I used to have a couple of 12 x 36 metal lathes and loved to play with barrel fitting both take offs and new high quality match aftermarket barrels.
I'm going to try and resist reaming this No.1 to Ackley Improved for two reasons, retaining collector value, and also the long neck of the standard 30/30 case is nice (better?) for loading cast bullets.
Maybe three reasons- I also have a No.1S medium in 30/06!