RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:39 am 
Blackhawk

I just purchased a 1964 RSS5 Single Six with a box. The box is in poor condition. What is the best way/product to use to repair the box. I know I cant make it new but I would like to keep it together. I do not want to use the wrong kind of tape that will do further harm to it.
Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:42 pm 
Blackhawk

A photo or two may help you in your quest. There are several ways to approach a repair. Sometimes damage is so great, little can be done for or to the box other than preserve what is left.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:09 pm 
Hunter

The best repairs are made with glue, without the use of tape. Tape just draws attention to the repair. I have seen some boxes repaired this way that is hard to see from a distance of a few feet that it has been repaired. If it has been taped then it shows up like a sore thumb.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:03 pm 
Ruger Guru

As noted,, repairs can be tricky.
If the corners are separating, and the outer paper is loose,, then you can get fiber reinforced shipping tape, cut a small piece & glue it in place on the outer box, under the wrap. I've used a 1/2" wide, by about 1-1/2" long piece, folded lengthwise. That puts about 1/4" of reinforcing tape on each side for the corners. Then glue the wrap over that. PATIENCE,,, toothpicks, feathers, (to apply glue in narrow places,) clamps, pieces of cardboard to hold things are all tools used to do repairs.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:13 am 
Blackhawk

I take any boxes in need of repair to a local bookbinding business. They do not use tape and do a far better job than I could do. Inexpensive as well. Dave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:42 pm 
Hunter

As contender says. It's ok to use tape as long as you can hide it so it doesn't show.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:41 pm 
Bearcat

Here's how I would do it:

Find some suitable cardboard of similar thickness as the original box. This sort of material is not all the same...find some that does not tear easily. Cut sections that fold and fit the inside corners precisely. If repairing more than one corner, be sure all your repair sections are matched and are exactly the same. (If repairing the lid this way, make sure the lid will close without binding on the repairs...it should). Glue the repairs in and use regular office paper clamps to hold until dry. If done correctly, it all looks almost original.

Just my suggestion(s).