How often do you clean your chambers in a cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
No, sir, you are wrong, unless you believe the firearm and ammunition manufacturers were "laymen". Handguns were marketed as "pistols" regardless of whether they were single shots or revolvers, muzzleloaders or cartridge firing for many years after the advent of repeaters. The uptight insistence on separating "revolver" from "pistol" is a relatively recent phenomenon.
View attachment 29918
View attachment 29919
Well, I see your point from 150-175 years ago, but that does not make it right today, nor does it define the meaning of the word. Nor was I referring to 150 years ago about making and the selling of handguns in the US. At any point in time words can be misconstrued. Today's Colt manufacturing does not ever call a revolver a pistol, at least not officially, nor on their web. The fact still remains that the 'real' and technical definition of a pistol is a handgun that fires the projectile from the barrel, like they all use to do before the advent of the revolver. Perhaps 150 years ago, they did not know the terms true meaning, that since just about all previous handguns were pistols, and then they used the common, known name for marketing reasons (to sell more guns

Shamus2022

Single-Sixer
Not SEMI-auto, which implies that full auto pistols are common, but SELF-LOADING pistols and revolving pistols; all of which are repeaters as opposed to single-shot pistols.

Well, I see your point from 150-175 years ago, but that does not make it right today, nor does it define the meaning of the word. Nor was I referring to 150 years ago about making and the selling of handguns in the US. At any point in time words can be misconstrued. Today's Colt manufacturing does not ever call a revolver a pistol, at least not officially, nor on their web.
Geesh, Call them whatever you want.

Here's something I learned long ago. The purpose of words is to relay information or ideas. If the words used accomplish that, then you are using the right words. Oh, and one other tidbit I picked up along the way. Context is everything.

And let's settle the rifle versus gun thing right now before someone goes there.

I also have a 1993 Ruger GP100 SS, that does look new, and a Ruger SS 45LC Convertible that is new (2015).

Some believe, "There's no such thing as a ".45 Long Colt!"

Stand back, some people take that issue pretty seriously! 😂

IMG_4325.gif

wproct

Single-Sixer
Well, I have 3 revolvers and it takes me 5-10 min to clean all three, but I do not own any pistols. So, how to you go about cleaning your semi-auto handguns, and how long does it take?
The one I shoot the most is my Smith & Wesson Victory .22lr semi-auto. I just use a bore snake. Slip it into the chamber and pull it through the barrel about 3 or 4 pulls and I'm done. Takes a couple of minutes tops.

My only .22 rimfire revolver is a GP100 and I don't clean it till it gets too dirty to handle.
Could be 500-1000 rounds easy between cleaning. I pull it apart and toss it in the ultrasonic cleaner
then brush the cylinders and bore. It seems to work dirty just fine. We shot it a bunch a few weekends ago
about 1300-1500 rounds and it's still in the range bag, I doubt it'll melt.
Not part of the original question but I have an old "beater" of a Glock 17 that hasn't been cleaned for
maybe 3-4 years and maybe 2000-3000 rounds of the cheapest ammo I can find. I do wipe the outside
off cause it gets too nasty to holster and handle. It's kinda become a "thing" not to clean it and see if it
every actually gets to a point it has issues.

Last edited:

codebreaker

Single-Sixer
If your pistol is one of those Ruger Redhawk revolvers chambered in 45ACP and 45 Long Colt, seems like you should clean the chambers after every session of shooting 45 ACP. Which has nothing to do with OP's question. :)

FWIW, I don't sell my vehicles till they have way over 200k miles on them. Lol
gramps
My Ford LTD II Sport Touring Edition is 45 years old. My Jeep is 41. I don't sell cars. My pickup is only three years old and will outlive me along with the other two.

Imagine how long my guns will last. I'll suggest my kids come back here in fifty years and give an update on both cars and guns.

I don't clean any of my guns until I put 200 rounds through them. A lot of people wear their guns out cleaning them lol
gramps
Same here. I wipe them down on the outside, so I don't have any rust problems. But with modern, non corrosive gun powder, I don't worry about the insides as often.

Then I do generally clean 3 or 4 at once. Which takes close to an hour. I try to do a good job, which is probably why I wait. I don't think a 5 minute cleaning is going to do all that much.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
If your pistol is one of those Ruger Redhawk revolvers chambered in 45ACP and 45 Long Colt, seems like you should clean the chambers after every session of shooting 45 ACP. Which has nothing to do with OP's question. :)
I see what you did there but you forget to mention the Redhawk doesn't use clips like the other weapons Ruger makes. :cool: