Progress with the new SR22 pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mapledown

Bearcat
Figured out how to adjust the sites on the SR22 and spent an hour practicing at 7 yards for the first time. Outer circle is 4″ and inner circle is 2″ so while not completely embarrassing, a 4″ group at this distance is not really cause to brag.

https://backontherange.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/2from21.jpeg

My best group of the day was just over 2″ and gave me some inspiration that I might eventually become consistent at that level. I feel like I should be able to keep less than 2″ groups at 7 yards… we'll see how I do after another few weeks.

https://backontherange.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/two-from-twenty-one.jpg

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
It's good to read honest reports, such as yours, on the Ruger SR22 pistol. I have sold several SR22 pistols and after a few of the initial hiccups involved were fixed, these pistols have been, for most folks, very reliable and acceptable in the accuracy department. Like most every other .22 rimfire handgun, you need to find the diet that your pistol likes best, and take into account that there never was any intention for these pistols to be involved with competition involving "target grade pistols", like some folks have overly expected, for the cost involved. The Ruger SR22 remains to fill the fun-gun and utility pistol training for safety niche, and not be expected to shoot bug-hole groups at 50 yards.

I have a few customers that do nuisance, and for-profit, trapping, as a serious side-line. Both carry Ruger SR22 pistols as a dispatching tool for some of the critters they trap that just don't take too kindly having their daily routine interrupted by being trapped. Some of those critters have the means to spray some very noxious liquid at distances that reach far enough to where a fairly accurate .22 pistol needs to be able to hit a 2-inch diameter head, so that will end any confrontation.

Trying various brands of .22 rimfire, now that the supply has gotten back to a somewhat normal expectation, will go a long way toward finding what your particular SR22 really likes to devour.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
For any new buyers of the SR22 I highly recommend the 4.5 inch version. I know the barrels only a bit longer but I found the extra sight radius to make more difference than I would have expected, even though it's just a bit more.

And a tad more velocity as well. I absolutely love mine but as SWG said I had no expectations that I was buying a cheaper MkIV so to speak. It will never be that. But it is enough to have an absolute blast with on the range.

My SR22 is obnoxiously loud and not especially accurate. Maybe it's just me. I bought on the recommendation of a friend who used his on the trap line. He must have found some "magic ammo" since mine wasn't anything like he described.
The major attribute is the light weight which is GREAT as long as I don't need to actually shoot something. A golf ball at 20' would nearly as safe as it would be on the moon. If we do any trapping this winter, I'll give it a second chance. If it's still not satisfactory, maybe I'll hand it off to Grouch Attack, she's been wanting a pistol that's light (and cute).

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
SGW Gunsmith said:
It's good to read honest reports, such as yours, on the Ruger SR22 pistol. I have sold several SR22 pistols and after a few of the initial hiccups involved were fixed, these pistols have been, for most folks, very reliable and acceptable in the accuracy department. Like most every other .22 rimfire handgun, you need to find the diet that your pistol likes best, and take into account that there never was any intention for these pistols to be involved with competition involving "target grade pistols", like some folks have overly expected, for the cost involved. The Ruger SR22 remains to fill the fun-gun and utility pistol training for safety niche, and not be expected to shoot bug-hole groups at 50 yards.

I have a few customers that do nuisance, and for-profit, trapping, as a serious side-line. Both carry Ruger SR22 pistols as a dispatching tool for some of the critters they trap that just don't take too kindly having their daily routine interrupted by being trapped. Some of those critters have the means to spray some very noxious liquid at distances that reach far enough to where a fairly accurate .22 pistol needs to be able to hit a 2-inch diameter head, so that will end any confrontation.

Trying various brands of .22 rimfire, now that the supply has gotten back to a somewhat normal expectation, will go a long way toward finding what your particular SR22 really likes to devour.

Gunsmith,
You are so right! Every .22 pistol or wheel gun, (mostly pistols) I own have been
quite picky about their diet. I have a .22 1911 that will only reliably shoot CCI AR Tactical,
another .22 1911 that will only shoot Remington Bonus Pack and yet another that will
shoot whatever I put in it.
Blackie

Mapledown

Bearcat
SR1911SHOOTER said:
SGW Gunsmith said:

Gunsmith,
You are so right! Every .22 pistol or wheel gun, (mostly pistols) I own have been
quite picky about their diet. I have a .22 1911 that will only reliably shoot CCI AR Tactical,
another .22 1911 that will only shoot Remington Bonus Pack and yet another that will
shoot whatever I put in it.
Blackie

Today's update on progress with the SR22:
https://backontherange.wordpress.com/2018/01/13/seeking-consistency/

Basically met my initial goals for 7yards, but still have a lot of work to do. Pushing the target back to 15 yards from here out.

mac66

Single-Sixer
My SR22 was good enough for what it was intended which is a small light weight plinker. It's accuracy was acceptable.

I did put a longer aftermarket threaded barrel with muzzle comp and hung a laser on it just for
the helluvit. That made it easier to shoot more accurately. It is almost stupid fun to play with now.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
mac66 said:
My SR22 was good enough for what it was intended which is a small light weight plinker. It's accuracy was acceptable.

I did put a longer aftermarket threaded barrel with muzzle comp and hung a laser on it just for
the helluvit. That made it easier to shoot more accurately. It is almost stupid fun to play with now.

This is my first double/single action gun. I'm having a really tough time with the DA pull my accuracy with it is horrible. Usually 5-6 inches right at only 10 yards. If I fire enough DA I end up with a shotgun pattern on the right side. Single action is dead on. Up to now I've only fired striker pistols for the most part.

Still I think I prefer the SA break to the striker. It's a fun challenge to try to master it though.