STAINLESS STEEL CLEANER QUESTION

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VonFatman

Blackhawk
Last night I spent a couple hours cleaning a bunch of guns I have had at the range over the past few weeks. Not major cleaning, just general wipe-downs and bore-snake.

I don't get too carried away with the carbon. I have found that if you apply a thin layer of CLP (that's what I clean with) the carbon will generally fall off pretty easy if you just let it set and come back to the "problem" a bit later. Usually, I just clean 'm and put them back on the rack and the next time I pull the gun out, the carbon comes off pretty quick with a wipe down.

Lead-Away cloths work pretty good too...but I do not have an over abundance of SS guns so I hate (equate this to cheap/parsimonious) to break open one for a single gun...I guess I could place the Lead-Away rag in a zip-lock for later use.

I do not get very carried away with cleaning...some guys I know are so anal about cleaning they will leave freshly cleaned guns on the rack just because they had recently spent so much effort and time cleaning them up...I do not clean like that...I don't ever want to hesitate on taking a gun to the range because of the time/energy I've invested in the previous clean-up.

Now, if my guns get wet (hunting), I get anal and get to work.

Bob

bera1947

Bearcat
VonFatman said:
Last night I spent a couple hours cleaning a bunch of guns I have had at the range over the past few weeks. Not major cleaning, just general wipe-downs and bore-snake.

"I do not get very carried away with cleaning...some guys I know are so anal about cleaning they will leave recently cleaned guns on the rack just because they had recenlty spent so much effort and time cleaning them up...I do not clean like that...I don't ever want to hesitate on taking a gun to the range because of the time/energy I've invested in the previous clean-up."

Thanks for your post, I(and perhaps others) need to get a grip and not get too carried away with the cleaning thing. I have found that I have put off shooting because I didn't want to "mess" up my guns and would rather look at them and admire them. I have felt that I do not want to see any evidence of use on guns. It is as if I were going to go out the next day and sell them. Maybe there exists something like AA called GA. If not, mabe one is needed. Guns are not gods. Guns are not life, but a part of life. Somebody help me.

Hombre

Bearcat
Heck Guys
I've had a Redhawk since 1982, and I was never too concerned about shooting the heck out of it and putting it away until next time. It is "stainless steel" after all! AND mine stiil looks good after 27 yrs. of honest to goodness use.

bera1947

Bearcat
Hombre, how often did you clean it? If you let it go with a lot of build up, was it hard to get it off?

Rclark

Hunter
Guns are not life, but a part of life. Somebody help me.
It's a matter of the mind or a mindset. Just think of them as 'hunks of formed metal' a tool like a broom stick... to be well used, then passed on when that time comes or junked. When I buy a wrench, car, gun, house, etc...., I bought with intention of using them. Do you sleep in a tent after buying a house because you don't want to 'mess it up' ? Buy a computer and then never turn it on? I paid good money for them, and by golly, I am going to get my moneys worth out of them while I am still alive!!!! ... The fun is in the shooting/using. Speaking of tools (guns included), I keep my tools clean and in good repair, but certainly don't get out the 'polishing cloth' and worry about that little ding or a silly cylinder scorch ring that seems to bother some others :lol: . Did that help? :p .

Hombre

Bearcat
bera1947":2o9pb0bb said:
Hombre, how often did you clean it? If you let it go with a lot of build up, was it hard to get it off?

Howdy bera1947

I keep my bore and cyl. clean, wipe the exterior down and put it back in the rug untill next time. I don't even worry much about the bore until ready to fire next time, then I run a dry patch thru it before shooting.

Shooting jacketed bullets, alot of times, I don't even mess cleaning the bore, just wipe the finger prints off and put it away. BUT if I shoot lead down the pipe, I'll keep a close watch on the bore. As far as th burn marks around the cyl. throats, I give it a nevermind, who cares?

VonFatman

Blackhawk
bera1947,
Sir, I think you are doing just fine...have fun. If it's fun to admire your handy-work, then enjoy. Many of us will sit back a few minutes and enjoy the time taken to admire a job-well-done. It's a good feeling to have accomplished something...especially in this hectic and world of intangibles.

Enjoy your weekend.

Bob

bera1947

Bearcat
Hombre, your post sounds like something out of of a movie script called "Made to Fire". By the way, I'm watching a movie(DVD) called "Running Scared" starring Paul Walker, 2006: about a hunt for a stolen .38...great action...check it out.

bera1947

Bearcat
VonFat...Thanks...I will and you do the same. Check out the movie and let us know what you think about it.