$15 pawn shop find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Saw these grips for $15 at a local pawn shop. Looked like somebody had re-finished them using a shovel .... maybe a broom.

A few minutes of taking off the rough stuff, a little sanding and some Tung Oil nets this result:

DybqEj1h.jpg

2QoCoNgh.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Thanks …. And their official "gun guy" didnt know what they fit. :lol:

Of course he's the same guy who wouldn't sell me a 60 year old revolver using my C&R license because they made "that model" gun into the mid-70's. He contends the date goes by when the gun model was discontinued; not when that particular gun was made.

I asked if a Winchester 1894 was C&R eligible and he says no …. None of them are.

RSIno1

Hunter
hittman said:
...he's the same guy who wouldn't sell me a 60 year old revolver using my C&R license because they made "that model" gun into the mid-70's. He contends the date goes by when the gun model was discontinued; not when that particular gun was made. .

That guy must be an escapee from Commiefornia. Our guys can't even be swayed when you show them the rule/laws in print.

jdowney

Bearcat
hittman said:
Thanks …. And their official "gun guy" didnt know what they fit. :lol:

Of course he's the same guy who wouldn't sell me a 60 year old revolver using my C&R license because they made "that model" gun into the mid-70's. He contends the date goes by when the gun model was discontinued; not when that particular gun was made.

I asked if a Winchester 1894 was C&R eligible and he says no …. None of them are.

Hahahahaha! I wonder what he would have said about one made in 1898! :mrgreen:

Or some pre-1968 guns with no serial number (I had one of those once - being the youngster I am I had never heard of such a thing!).

You can show a guy like that the text of the law and explain it for him, and he'll still insist that the words don't mean what they clearly mean.

Nice find on the grips though, worth going into the place for stuff like that if it turns up.

Rclark

Hunter
Ok .... What in the world is a C&R Licence. I've heard rumors of FOID something or other in Illinois... We have Concealed Carry (CC) permit but that is it... And with the last legislature action we don't even need that any more. But I'll keep mine as then they do not have to make the 'call' when I pick up a firearm (just fill out the paperwork).

Oh, nice to see 'wood' on a revolver rather than that rubber stuff..... :)

NikA

Buckeye
Hard to believe folks could be interested in collecting firearms these days and not know about C&R.

Classification info straight from the source: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

An FFL03 or "C&R license" is one issued specifically for personal collection purposes and allows the holder to receive the firearms so categorized directly without additional 4473 paperwork.

Rclark

Hunter
Thanks for the definition of C&R ... Not a antique collector ... just a shooter (and I've only 'released' so-to-speak one revolver in my lifetime and it was a hand to hand swap of SRH for cash and a NIB Vaquero at the time), so hadn't ran on to that term before.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Rclark said:
Thanks for the definition of C&R ... Not a antique collector ... just a shooter (and I've only 'released' so-to-speak one revolver in my lifetime and it was a hand to hand swap of SRH for cash and a NIB Vaquero at the time), so hadn't ran on to that term before.

Just so you know, C&R firearms are not just "antiques". To qualify for C&R status, a firearm only has to be 50 years old or older. For example, all of the early flat top .357s have C&R now.