Birdseye Maple Grip Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
LSCG said:
SteelBlue said:
Well, I doubt you'd sell those grips for $124. If you like birds eye maple, the additional price for the gun is negligible.

Fit to a customers grip frame? No, they'd be just a little more. Fit to one of my grip frames and sold? Then yes, the price would be a lot closer to that mark.

If you like the gun then go nuts. All i'm saying is if a person was mostly wanting it for those grips they would be much better off just having a set made to their frame. They'd be getting something they know will fit and look good. with Ruger it'll be a gamble on the fit and grain.

Better yet make your own. Way cheaper and you get the satisfaction of using something you made with your own two hands.

Value of the gun is generally better with OEM grips. And they only cost $76 more than plastic.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
SteelBlue said:
Hondo44 said:
SteelBlue said:
MSRP is 825. MSRP for a standard Blackhawk is $749. So $124 for a set of birdseye grips with factory Ruger medallion. I don't think that's too bad, especially when there will be a significant price reduction in real life.

$124???

You got your numbers jumbled, how about $76?

Ha, yes did. Even more reason not to dis the price!

You got that right. And they likely fit well since their a specialty grip, but I'll reserve judgement until I handle one or at least see the gun in person.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Also 5-1/2" is not a standard barrel length for a .357/9mm, previously only offered in 4-5/8" or 6-1/2".

SteelBlue said:
MSRP is 825. MSRP for a standard Blackhawk is $749. So $124 for a set of birdseye grips with factory Ruger medallion. I don't think that's too bad, especially when there will be a significant price reduction in real life.

It's a rip off imo There should be a credit for the original grips YOU ARE NOT GETTING.
What does Ruger charge for the originals? That should be deducted before you add the 124.00, if you catch what I'm saying. The Standard BlackHawk 749 deduct original grips
you are not getting then add 124. seems like you are paying for two sets of grips and getting one. More than one way of seeing things, ps

It's a "distributor special" gun in an unusual barrel length with some interesting grips and perhaps even a matte finish (?).

You can bet Talo knows their market and will charge their price regardless of how that compares to the price of a gun not otherwise available. After some time passes, it will still be an unusual gun, even if those nice grips get replaced with something else. Is it "worth" what they ask for one? That's up to the individual.

The 5-1/2" barrel alone justifies the new model number.

JMHO
:mrgreen:

Edited to admit I have been wrong about the "rarity" of the 5-1/2" barrels. They are available in several styles of the centerfire single-actions. I need to keep closer track of the New Models.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
powder smoke said:
SteelBlue said:

It's a rip off imo There should be a credit for the original grips YOU ARE NOT GETTING.
What does Ruger charge for the originals? That should be deducted before you add the 124.00, if you catch what I'm saying. The Standard BlackHawk 749 deduct original grips
you are not getting then add 124. seems like you are paying for two sets of grips and getting one. More than one way of seeing things, ps

Well, as stated before, you are only paying $76 more for the upgrade to maple grips, hardly a ripoff.

More like you are paying $76 for that unique 5-1/2" barrel that's only available on this gun. The grips are essentially along for the ride.

This will be a collector piece for the serious Rugerphiles.

JMHO

Edited to admit I have been wrong about the "rarity" of the 5-1/2" barrels. They are available in several styles of the centerfire single-actions. I need to keep closer track of the New Models.

SteelBlue said:
Do you consider the 5 1/2" barrel to be the ideal length for .357?

Nope. The only reason I have emphasized it is that this gun is, as far as I know, the only readily-available 5-1/2" gun in the Ruger centerfire single-action line. Everybody has their own thoughts on the "proper" barrel length for any gun, placing varying importance on appearance, performance, and ease of handling/carrying.

:mrgreen:

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have a Ruger 357/9mms single action Stainless Flat Top with a 5 1/2" barrel. I'm not sure if these are still available in their catalog offerings.

xtratoy said:
I have a Ruger 357/9mms single action Stainless Flat Top with a 5 1/2" barrel. I'm not sure if these are still available in their catalog offerings.

They are, I just checked. The 5-1/2" ones are shown in other single-action centerfires as well. Guess I need to keep up with the New Models more.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
This is a full sized Blackhawk, 5.5" has not been offered in a .357 on that platform in a long time and I don't recall it ever in blued. The stainless Bisley is the only 5.5" .357 Blackhawk I remember. The 5.5" Flat Top is still available in blue and stainless.

Just checked again.

There are blue and stainless 5-1/2" Super Blackhawks and New Vaqueros, stainless Bisley New Vaqueros, blue and stainless Bisley and Flattop Blackhawks, as well as blue and stainless Blackhawk Convertibles. Some of these are "distributor" offerings even though they appear on Ruger's site, https://www.ruger.com/ by selecting "revolvers" at the top of their page.

We have an excellent selection available to us.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
:roll: Not being a museum curator (keep it unfired in a box) i can't get excited given what I see. Ruger and TALOs marketing has jumped the shark IMO.
I like the grips, but they are not obtainable? Even if the finish is matte'ed, that would indicate a mfg shortcut. Might as well paint 'em.
In short... meh. :roll:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Nothing earth shattering, but cool. The grips are in a sense unobtainable. They are sold by Ruger only, OEM, and cannot be bought separately. The gun can be bought on Gunbroker for $599.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/832736141

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/839390538