Old model single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jastubbs

Bearcat
Hello everyone, new to this site and to old model Rugers. I recently piced up an old model single six serial #187145. It has the XR3-RED grip frame which I believe isn't correct based on what i have been reading here and that i have another just like it that has XR3 grip frame. Is it in any way possible that it would have been shipped with the XR3-RED frame? I plan on making it correct if it isn't and if i can find the right parts. Where would i start looking for an XR3 frame and what should I expect to pay for one? I'll try to attach a picture. It's the bottom gun. Thanks, Joe

street

Hunter
I would say that the grip frame is wrong because it has a set of grips that were not made till 1971 or early 1972. You would have to get a letter from Ruger stating when the gun was shipped to tell if it was shipped when the xr3-red frames were made. And even that might not help because if the gun was held in the factory till the xr3-red frames were made it could have had a xr3 grip frame installed when it was made and set in the factory and shipped at a later date. Some of the Lightweights with S on the serial number was held at the factory for a few years and shipped later. Some of those guns had either a xr3 or a xr3-red grip frame installed. and they were shipped in 1964 or 65, not sure of the exact date.

Jastubbs

Bearcat
Ruger45 said:
Am I reading the SR# right? The top one is 187144 and the bottom one is 187145?
Yes you are. Picked up one at a local gun store and the other off gunbroker about 3 weeks apart. Kinda lucky huh!

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Jastubbs,

Welcome to the RF and I quite agree with street, never be able truly know XR3 or XR3-RED for your 187,xxx gun. The short barreled Ruger Single Sixes are scarce compared to other barrel lengths. An inquiry to Ruger should tell you if your gun is RSS4 or RSS4X (convertible shipped with extra cylinder in .22 WRM). Your 187,xxx is right on the edge of "Changes of 1962. You do need to get the correct grips on it. The oil filled walnut with black painted bird without S over R which are not to hard to find at a reasonable price. FYI A good XR3 frame and grips will be at least $250.00.

SATCOM

PS
Are both guns 187,xxx?????

PPS
Yeah lucky!!!!!!!!!!!! Took me over 20 years to do that trick and you did with guns representing 10% of all RSSs made.

Now you have to ask Ruger for letters on each gun to know shipped dates.

Jastubbs

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies! Yeah my heart skipped a beat when I realized i was looking at a consecutive number to the one i just bought a couple weeks prior. Of coarse i had to buy it also. I will send in to letters for em and go from there. Joe

Ruger45

Blackhawk
Well you need not get a powerball ticket cause you used up all your luck right there LOL
That's a nice set of guns and finding the right parts for 145 shouldn't be to hard I bet at least six people here have them collecting dust in a drawer somewhere.

Jastubbs

Bearcat
Thanks ruger45! I got a feeling this desire to collect and shoot these 3 screw revolvers is gonna get pricey!

Armybrat

Buckeye
Wow, what great finds!

Bought my SS new in 1959....

Guns075_zps446b6d67.jpg

Ruger45

Blackhawk
Jastubbs said:
Thanks ruger45! I got a feeling this desire to collect and shoot these 3 screw revolvers is gonna get pricey!
I think the best course of action for you is to pack them up and send them to me and forget you ever wanted to collect Rugers. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Or the other choice is to spend every extra dime you have on Ruger guns. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
I am betting you go with option two. :wink: :wink:

Jastubbs

Bearcat
Ruger45 said:
Jastubbs said:
I think the best course of action for you is to pack them up and send them to me and forget you ever wanted to collect Rugers. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Or the other choice is to spend every extra dime you have on Ruger guns. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
I am betting you go with option two. :wink: :wink:
Ha Ha, thanks for the offer but I will probably stick with option 2!

chet15

Hawkeye
Jastubbs:
If you call Ruger for a letter on the one with the XR3-RED grip frame, be sure to let us know how it turns out.
At this time, there are no small serial number RSS4's or RSS4X's known with XR3-RED grip frame.
To have an XR3-RED grip frame, it would have had to have been shipped by at least late June 1962.
Chet15

Ruger45

Blackhawk
It will be interesting to see when they shipped being that the sr#s put them as very late 1961 But being that close to 187367 the suggested first shipped in 1962. And as we all know being made that late in the year they could have ended up on the bottom of the pile and shipped months after they were made.

Jastubbs

Bearcat
chet15 said:
Jastubbs:
If you call Ruger for a letter on the one with the XR3-RED grip frame, be sure to let us know how it turns out.
At this time, there are no small serial number RSS4's or RSS4X's known with XR3-RED grip frame.
To have an XR3-RED grip frame, it would have had to have been shipped by at least late June 1962.
Chet15
Chet15 can i call Ruger or do i have to send in the form or both? I have printed the form and was going to put a note with it asking for specific info about the grip frame on 145. I will post with the info when i get it. Thanks Joe

I will not be surprised if you cannot get specific info on which grip frame was on the gun when it shipped. The best you can hope for is to discover the ship dates of both guns and their shipped configuration, ie, their model/catalog numbers.

That said, with Ruger, "never say never!" You may get lucky. Let us know.

:) :) :)

Dantforth

Blackhawk
When sending in your letter make sure you include a seperate note asking for the particulars which are not on the printed form. This was the advise that I got from that group when I last asked for info. So, just a hand written note asking for the info you desire. Good luck.

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
The grips are Silver Eagle and did not come out till the end of Super Single Six production. Probably the grip frame and the grips came from a later gun. If you want the grip frame and grips to match I would be glad to trade a XR3-RED frame and silver Eagle grips for your XR3 frame and grips. Just kidding of course. I would look for another XR3 frame and Grips for it.
You can sell the XR3-RED frame and grips and get some of your money back.
Ron

Hondo44

Hawkeye
As Street said, the grips are way to late for the gun and way too late for an early XR3-RED grip frame. And the gun's in too good of a condition to need the grips replaced on the original grip frame. Therefore, my cognizant reasoning tells me it's highly more likely the grip frame and grips were swapped at the same time.

Nice XR3 grip frames with original grips aren't that hard to find.