Painting front sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have used red on a few shooters, and the Testors neon orange on the stainless Security Six I used to carry. It helps in the daytime but not at all at night. White does help some at night but only if you can get a reference with the rear sight. It's kind of fun to try different things out, just don't do anything that permanently messes up the gun.

Joe S.

Hunter
Thanks for the advice yall. I'm liking the white ok except when aiming at white laper plates. It kind of disappears then...

I wouldnt mind a super redhawk front sight base. Or similar. Would give plenty of option.

gwpercle

Bearcat
I put a coat of Bic White-Out, correction fluid, fully intending to top it with a gaudy nail polish/bright sight paint, but the flat white sight worked so well I just left it.
It was so much easier to see that I removed the lime green nail polish from another revolver and replaced it with flat white White-Out.
The stuff holds up extremely well and is cheap !
Gary

veeman

Single-Sixer
Aqualung said:
I went to the flea market and found the most obnoxiously flourescent orange finger nail polish for $1.99. I've got most of my revolver sights painted with it and still have 99% of the bottle left. That was several years ago.

Aqualung

Basicly did the same thing, cept I got mine at Dollar General, for a dollar, I'll never use it all.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I bought a dollar bottle of bright orange nail polish in the early 80's. I've been daubing that on gun sights for the past 30 years. The bottle could last me another 30 or 40. It has flaked off a few, but under severe conditions (too hot or too cold). Also, brake cleaning fluid loosens it up. No problem.

I'm color-blind, and very bad. I lose sight of the black front sight very easily. The ugly orange paint helps a lot.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
+1 for acrylic nail polish. It is harder than a brick, and stays bright for years.
- Cruise the cosmetics/nail polish displays at WalMart and your problems are over.
-- I like the bright fluorescent yellow-green for shotgunning and handgunning, especially any revolver which might happen to ride along in snake country...

rtl

Single-Sixer
I've only done this to one of my revolvers so far, a Super Blackhawk I carry hunting. The bright orange stripe of acrylic nail polish really does help my aging eyes in the low light conditions in the woods and mountains.