Spring pin front site?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roadkingrick

Bearcat
I have a redhawk 44 mag long barrel. Im trying to find some night sites or red dot. My eyes are just getting old. So im running into a lot of sights that day they will fit if its has a spring pin site ? However I can't find a picture or diagram that compares the two different front sites? Any help on how to differentiate the two? Thanks

welcome to the forum the spring one has a plunger in the front of the sight, on the face of the muzzle above the bore, you can push it in and depress and then you can lift out the front sight body,,,,hope this helps;)
please do this on an EMPTY gun !!!:rolleyes:

roadkingrick

Bearcat
Well I have mo plunger so I guess its just a dove tail? Site like to get some better sights. Thanks for the reply

well you can alway s put a small amount of paint, or nail polish, on the downward rear of the blade to help you pick up the front site easier...I used to use a lot of Testers Day-Glo orange in the shop ...years ago we used a LOT of the Lees red Ramp but he passed away and they ceased operations, tough to find the orange powder and mix it in with some 5 minute epoxy , cut a dovetail in the blade and "dam" up the sides til it hardens, then smooth down ( file) in place....lots of tricks to be done out there by any GOOD "competent" gun plumber.......(leave bubba to the tractors and 4 wheelers):cool::rolleyes:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
The red ramp kits require cutting into the front sight blade. A permanent change.
The painting of the front sight,, is an excellent idea, and I'll add a little tip. Paint the ramp with white, THEN add a bright color like the Day-Glo or whatever your eyes see the best. By adding a coat of white under the orange,, it's brighter.

The red ramp kits require cutting into the front sight blade. A permanent change.
The painting of the front sight,, is an excellent idea, and I'll add a little tip. Paint the ramp with white, THEN add a bright color like the Day-Glo or whatever your eyes see the best. By adding a coat of white under the orange,, it's brighter.
what he said , but I prefer a bright green or yellow more than red

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I like a lime green paint, it can be touched up or removed entirely.
I bought a set of Meopro sights for my wife's Gp100 and she likes them.

yes I agree with the above comments, as back in the day , the late 60s and through the 70's the so called "red ramp" front sight s, like the S&Ws had on their target revolvers were very popular, and others wanted to be "like them" and so that set up ,the "Lees Red Ramp " kits were the in thing BUT over all these years I have come to believe that anytime one "alters" the front blade , like Ty says "gotta cut a dovetail in there", it comes back to haunt you later on, as this does devalue the "collectability" of any other than the S&W .........sooo, it is easier, quicker, saves any "devaluation" and you can change it at any given time, to any given color, and all of us "see" different colors better than others, do what works for YOU !! its cheap and easy enough to do, and a dab of thinner or acetone, and its ALL gone and back to 'original':cool:;)