Ruger SP-101 .327 Federal MAgnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I have a .327 in an LCR and I really like it. I use it as my concealed carry weapon. I've been unsuccessfully seeking one of the SP-101 4/2" bbl models in . 327, and finally should have one in about a month. I have the SP-101 in .357 Magnum, and ,22LR. The .327 seems to have a lot less recoil than the .357. I think it would made a good field gun. Considering that some fishing guide in Alaska recently killed a large, attacking grizzly bear with a 9mm and Buffalo Bore ammo I should be fine for the lower 48 with a .327 :)

Does anyone have experience with this model in .327?

32magfan

Blackhawk
teuthis,
I have all the Ruger models in 327. The SP101 with a 4" bbl is an excellent choice for a kit gun or packing piece. I occasionally carry the LCR but the 4" with fiber-optic front sight is really good for popping steel plates at the range. I do wish the front sight was more conducive to precise shooting for hunting groundhogs or squirrels.

Mine really likes the 100 gr. Gold Dot load. My everyday handloaded is 3.7 gr Clays behind a 115 gr. RNFP cast from wheelweights. I have yet to chronograph this load in the SP but it did 1,000fps from my 5.5" BlackHawk. This round really comes into its own when you can handloaded for it.

Good luck with your 32 but be careful, they can be addictive... :mrgreen:

32Magfan

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos on finding a SP-101 in 327. A good small game caliber. As a SD caliber,,, it can be good on 2 legged varmints. No matter what just happened with a guide & a bear in Ak., I'd not expect excellent results in the SD dept. against a bear in the lower 48 with a 327 mag. We do have grizz's in the lower 48 remember.

jic

Bearcat
Mus408 said:
That guide must have got a lucky shot off into the Grizz's eye!

It took more than one shot to bring it down, he had only one bullet left in the magazine when it finally went down.
He was also lucky enough to hit it in a vital spot with his shots.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
And the guide said that he had made a conscious decision not to carry his 454 Casull as he always had for years. Talk about Karma :) He used the hard lead Buffalo Bore bullets so he got penetration. Years ago I was bitten by a near grown black bear and nearly squashed by his notorious 500 pound mother. I would have given anything to have even a .327 with me then. I went out and got a used Model 58 .41 Magnum and carried it on my motorcycle. I think the bears knew that because they never attacked me again.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I really like mine. I've got the Lee .314 90gr SWC mold, but I haven't cast any bullets for it yet. I've been shooting jacketed .327 and 32 H&R cast out of it. I've still got 800 or so 95gr SWC before I go to casting. I'm really liking the round. I've got the single seven and an LCR in addition to the SP. Now if Ruger would come out with the 3" LCRx in .327 I'd buy it.

32magfan

Blackhawk
lolbell said:
I wish someone would come out with a lever gun :D

AMEN!!! And again I say AMEN!!!!

This needs to happen... Heck, I would take a 77 chambered in it like the 44 and 357 versions.

I really don't want to hack up my 1894 in 32-20 to make one or pay $2K + for a Marlin in 32 H&R.

32Magfan

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I'd buy a No.3 carbine re-issue in the 327FM in a heartbeat. Likewise any American-made levergun.

Itamazes me how the new Marlin company knows how sought-after their 32H&R lever is, yet they still haven't made up a re-issue... in 327FM.

nn

Single-Sixer
I had to put a Hogue monogrip on one for more than a few shots, 30 rnds made my hand numb.

It is a great shooter and likes .32 H&R for great accuracy and the .32 S&W long too.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
I'd buy a No.3 carbine re-issue in the 327FM in a heartbeat. Likewise any American-made levergun.

Itamazes me how the new Marlin company knows how sought-after their 32H&R lever is, yet they still haven't made up a re-issue... in 327FM.

What he said! A little No. 3 would be the perfect platform for the 327 FM, and a Marlin 1894 carbine with a 20" octagon barrel... can you say "maahhvelous, darling?" Put either one with my stainless Blackhawk 8-shooter and I'd be in hog heaven. :mrgreen:

Froggie