New Redhawk in .41 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
What is the earliest serial number anybody can report on this one?
I need to document that so it can go in the Ruger Reference.
Chet15

JCW64

Single-Sixer
You may want to check forum member Acrylictnk. I think he sold the very first handful from Davidson's.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
Groo said:
ChiefTJS said:
I'm truly at a loss for why there was no hype and fanfare for this new addition to the 4.2" Redhawk family but I guess it befits the neglect that the .41 Magnum has always received. I for one am quite pleased with mine and had the pleasure of putting a few rounds down range this morning with it. I've had both .44 Mag and .45 Colt versions of the short Redhawk and while both were very good guns I always thought the .41 Mag would be just right. My wife may not think it possible, but I think I'm right.

The unfortunate thing is that none of these are available at present but I imagine more will trickle in. Our own "acrylictnk" (Mike) was lucky enough to snag the entire first shipment from Davidson's and promptly sold them all. I had the dumb luck to get the first one. Pretty much looks and shoots exactly like the other two I've owned with the exception that this one has the warning label on the bottom of the barrel and has the quick change front sight like the GP-100. Both are welcome changes for me and may have been around a while since I haven't looked at them for a couple years. A little load development and trigger time should have this one shooting as good as all other .41's I've owned which is superb.

Sorry for the crap picture but at least it proves they exist.

Groo here
As this is a Davison special Is it a round but frame???
If so ---- GROO WANT BADDDDDDDDDDD...

Biggest mistake S&W ever made was going to round butt N frame revolvers. My only hangup with Rugers new .41 is it comes with those ugly rubber grips and not the original walnut stocks.
Steve

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
ko41 said:
Despite the horrible out of the box 8lb 9oz trigger pull, I was able to keep 12 rounds in about 6 inches from 25 yards offhand. With a little use, smoothing, lube and a spring change the trigger pull is now a pretty consistent 5lb 3oz.

KO
How and where did you find or get a NRA official trigger weighing device to weigh in ounces? I've been a range officer in many local matches and never seen such a device. Always in pounds(with half and quarter pounds also) not ounces. Are these legal in matches?
Steve

ko41

Bearcat
steve8261948 said:
ko41 said:
Despite the horrible out of the box 8lb 9oz trigger pull, I was able to keep 12 rounds in about 6 inches from 25 yards offhand. With a little use, smoothing, lube and a spring change the trigger pull is now a pretty consistent 5lb 3oz.

KO
How and where did you find or get a NRA official trigger weighing device to weigh in ounces? I've been a range officer in many locale matches and never seen such a device. Always in pounds not ounces.
Steve

Trigger pull was measured with a Lyman Electronic Digital Trigger Pull Gauge.

KO

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
I'm giving serious consideration to getting one of these. I had a couple questions though, for anyone with experience with the .41 mag caliber --

1.) Is flame-cutting and forcing cone erosion a problem in the .41 mag with 210 grain bullets, the way light bullets in .357 magnums are?

2.) How would you rate recoil in the 4 inch 41 mag Redhawk? Would you say it is equal to, or lesser than, a 44 mag of similar make and configuration? (I shoot my 6-inch barrel Super Redhawk .480 pretty regularly, so I'm not particularly recoil-sensitive)

3.) Would you consider W296 to be too hot a powder to reload 210 grain rounds with?

rangerbob

Buckeye
If one wants full power loads with jacketed 210 bullets, H110 and WW296 have been the go to powders for the .41 since their introduction. Since they are ball powders, magnum primers are usually recommended. Of late, I've been loading Alliant MP 300, which according to the available date, gives a slight velocity advantage. BTW, 296 and H110 are the same powder, according to Hodgdon, the manufacturer. Bob!! :D

bigbill

Single-Sixer
Is flame cutting in the chambers on the front side of the cylinder chambers normal on the early 5 1/2" redhawks in 41mag?

I know with the s&w N Frames the hotter loads using 296 powder has the potential of flame cutting.

I switched to using 2400 powder decades ago for jacketed bullets and unique for lead cast.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
bigbill said:
Is flame cutting in the chambers on the front side of the cylinder chambers normal on the early 5 1/2" redhawks in 41mag?

I know with the s&w N Frames the hotter loads using 296 powder has the potential of flame cutting.

I switched to using 2400 powder decades ago for jacketed bullets and unique for lead cast.
I don't think 'flame cutting' or what would properly be called 'erosion' on the front of the chambers, the barrel face and forcing cone and the top strap has happened seriously with any Redhawk except those that are well used in like 'silhouette' competition. Slow powders like H-110 and Li'll Gun with light bullets at max loads will contribute to normal erosion. :D