Any reason not to convert New Bearcat stainless to .22 WRM?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I like the .22 WRM revolver for a packin' gun when I'm out in the boonies. We don't have bears where I go and very few people, too far and too dry for homeless encampments, pot farmers, etc. Lots of snakes and very occasionally I do shoot one that is in too public a place (outhouses, parking areas). A couple of birdshot loads and the rest hollow points and I feel well enough armed.

Have had an Old Bearcat since the early 1960s, and love it. What's the downside of just having a New Bearcat rechambered to .22WRM? Wouldn't shoot it much, and don't need it to be a "convertible." Any problems with that conversion? I keep waiting for Ruger to get back to trying the Bearcat as a "magnum" again, but feel like I've waited long enough.

What was the problem with the ones they originally produced as "magnums"? Were any of them stainless?

Look here: http://www.clementscustomguns.com/bearcat.html
22 magnum conversion- $175 Complete gun required for this service. Not available for OM Bearcat
Have been thinking of going that route with my stainless.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
On the practical side, with the plethora of ammo types today there is little reason to spend a couple hundred bucks to convert a good Bearcat.
Aquila alone sells a half-dozen hard-hitting LR bullets and a triple-projectile load. CCI still sells snake-shot rounds (stock up now).

Now, if you're just wanting a unique small revolver? ( IIR, the weak point of the Bearcat conversion was the internal parts, not a simple chamber ream job, that kept breaking under regular use. They work, but the reliability would not meet Ruger's engineering standards.?

over the years, we , as well as MANY others have rechambered Bearcats to "magnum" and never ( yet) had or heard of any issues or problems...the "new models" I'd feel even safer to do the job to, as now the barrels are .224 instead of the older .222...I know a few that shoot the "snot" out of their 22 convertible New Bearcats and NO issues or problems that we have yet to hear about...never say never as it only takes ONE "bad" scenario to go FUBAR....kinda much like shooting 22 shorts, longs and long rifles out of a "magnum" model.........done it since 1960 :roll:

okie44

Single-Sixer
If you look long and hard enough you might find a spare cylinder. Get lucky, you might even find one that matches. :mrgreen:

image.jpg1_zpss1ktkjhq.jpg

Thanks, guys--lots to think about, but I'm definitely gonna do the conversion--make my 'Cat a "Big 'Cat"!

Keep in mind that I live in California and we are required to use nonlead projectiles for "hunting." Nonlead .22 LR ammo is very hard to find, and not accurate in any of my current .22s, rifles or handguns. For some reason the nonlead magnum ammo is available in small amounts pretty regularly and some of my guns like it OK (some, especially my 1960 Winchester M61M pump, HATE it....). There's enough around for the small amount of hunting varmints I do.

It's an open question whether snake shot is "illegal" because it's lead 12s.... I may keep 2 rds. behind my 2 ears for quick reloads, like a hipster carrying cigs.

I'm never sure WHEN I'm "hunting" and when I'm just hiking. Some species (jackrabbits and ground squirrels, for example) are open all year. If I have a loaded gun and am in an area where they are, am I "hunting"? I don't want to debate this with a judge, so I always carry only nonlead ammo, RF, CF, or shotgun, when I'm carrying in an area where hunting is legal. And a hunting license. Of course I've never encountered an LEO when carrying in the areas I frequent (or anybody else but hunters), but I don't want to get unlucky. Most LEOs in the boonies are pretty reasonable and sensible people, but part of being unlucky is meeting up with a prick....

One reason I prefer the .22 WRM is because it gives a handgun about the same terminal effects at close range as a .22 LR in a rifle. You can kill a lot of stuff with that.

257heaven

Single-Sixer
For those that have them, what is the muzzle blast and noise like? I'd think it would be bad with a 4" barrel.

I currently carry and shoot an S&W 651 4" and yes, it is a loud little fellow. No reason to think a 4.2" Bearcat will be milder. But mostly these are guns to carry a lot and shoot a little....like when you have to. Adrenaline is a great suppressor.

On the range, I wear muffs. On foot in the boonies, I cherish "situational awareness," so "bare ears."

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Mike,

I think you should go for it. You're old model has a shorter cyl than the new models but as luck would have it, the old model cyl is just, and I mean JUST long enough for the WRM.

I had it explained to me this way: if you're not stationary with targets set up, you're considered to be hunting. So HWH (hiking with handgun) is seen as hunting in the eyes of the law.

You might consider a larger caliber. I hiked extensively in the mountains just north and in sight of Moreno Valley, Ca. . Lots of deer, and Mtn Lion tracks. Never saw a snake or its track. Good luck.
gramps

Thanks, Hondo and Gramps (and everybody else who responded).

Hondo, I get the apparent "sense of the law" re hunting here. Of course they've removed the option of "recreational shooting" i.e. plinking at an informal and safe site in many of the public lands, so shooting while stationary isn't really a common option. I'd LIKE that option occasionally, but most of the time I'm just lookin' and want to carry while I'm doin' it.

Gramps, we DO have mountain lions in most of the places I hike (and prospect, and varmint hunt, and rockhound). But I don't worry about them much. I've been in mountain lion country all my life and have seen a grand total of three live ones in 72 years (one of them a few months ago). See tracks and scat every week, about 5 miles from a few million unsuspecting townies. They almost never bother anyone who is aware of them, and the whole point of being out in nature, for me, is to be VERY aware.

What I mostly DO worry about is falling down and injuring myself--a firearm isn't much help with that, except signaling for help. And I do worry a little about encountering a crazy and needing something to convince him that he needs to leave me alone. This has happened to me only once, MANY years ago, and my old ' Cat served me fine then.

FYI, I would NEVER modify my old early '60s Bearcat in any way. Bought a stainless New Bearcat for this conversion.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Had my Daughters Bearcat done in .22Mag years ago and have had zero issues. Definitely louder and a nice little fireball in low light. I'd do it again.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Both cartridges operate at the same pressures. The .22Mag will always outperform the .22LR, regardless of barrel length.

Converting to a centerfire, while interesting, is a much more complicated and expensive proposition.

Mike Quote {What I mostly DO worry about is falling down and injuring myself--a firearm isn't much help with that, except signaling for help.}

Look into getting a "SPOT" it's gps and signal. Should work well in Cal. Guy in SE Alaska used one the other day to save his bacon. You can use them to send an "I'm ok" signal or a "Send Help" Never know when you need one. They aren't expensive to buy and the year subscription is around $140 or so. Well worth it.

Thanks, Jack. I'll check it out. I do carry a cell phone, but it isn't functional in many of the places where falling down is a strong possibility.

When I'm "working" (but not getting paid), I have a radio set to the LEA frequency, which usually works. But when I have that I'm not carrying a .22 or any other firearm (because in the environment reserve only LEOs can carry), just a hiking staff, and usually a machete. Neither is a useful back country communication tool....